What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Problem with D-Link Dap 1522 Bridge/Access Point

Anyone have luck with the RT-N56U and a D-Link Dap 1522 Bridge/Access Point? I had it working fine as a bridge with my D-Link 655 but since switching to the Asus, I can no longer get it to work.

3 Issues

I have had this router since it first came out, and I am generally happy with it as a main router. However, I see 3 issues (firmware 1.0.14m):

1. No guest access (i.e., separated multiple ssids).

2. Media server stutters badly to PS3 on 2.4 at all channels -- on both 20 and 40 MHz (has anyone had a different experience?). I have worked around this issue by client bridging with a e1000 to which the PS3 is hardwired. But it would be nice to run just one router (i.e, the Asus).

3. Fails Port 21 port scan test (not stealthed - only closed).

Yeah they pulled 1014m. I myself reverted to 1014 from 1014m about 1.5 weeks ago.

for me, 1014m was fine for a few days, then it would start having some kind of dhcp ip conflict thing, and it would disconnect from the internet and not be able to reconnect until i reboot the router. happened like clockwork exactly 1 time everyday.

i tried a few things including factory reset, but it didnt help.

Shame too, because network streaming of movies was smooth on the 1014m. With 1014, it pauses constantly. very annoying.

but at least the router is stable

Interesting Gzz. I just looked up the FTP server to only to see that m was still available. However this FTP server via the IP address has o. Going to check this out.

Just tried 1.0.1.4o. The good news is that it is super snappy (like 1.0.1.4m) and I don't get that occassional 5-10 second delay connecting to certain sites (like Newegg.com). The bad news is that I can't connect to the Nortel VPN (my sister's workplace). Same problem as 1.0.1.4m. Once again, rolling back to 1.0.1.4 allowed me to connect to the VPN.

I updated my firmware to 1.0.1.4o and I have good and bad news. The good news is that the internet is zippy again without the occassional delays I get with 1.0.1.4. I also stream more robustly than I do with 1.0.1.4. The bad news is that (just as in 1.0.1.4m) I can't connect to a Nortel VPN server. Once again, rolling back to 1.0.1.4 allows me to connect to the VPN server.

There are two things that I really do not like about this router. The issues with VPN and the issue that this is not a DLNA certified product. Edit, I should add a third. You cannot specify a rule within port forwarding to be enabled or disabled.

Viventis, although you will lose acceleration, have you tried using the NAT handler to see if it works after the configuration?

Last edited:
I am still waiting for "perfect" router... they all seem to have issues. At least this one for now highly rated.

I noticed that the 1014o firmware was listed as non-US / Canada version. Maybe North America has to wait for 1015...

I noticed that the 1014o firmware was listed as non-US / Canada version. Maybe North America has to wait for 1015...

Interesting...
I wonder if it's related to the different allowable Wi-Fi spectrum channels in the US

M was not The US version either. O is working for me with "no" issues. But this is work in progress.

No doubt you guys know that non-North America (certain countries) have regulations that permit transmissions at frequencies in addition to those legal in US/Canada. One should not use those frequencies as there are licensed radio services in those frequencies.

Also, the radiated power limits in some countries are much lower than in North America.

The firmware variants (configuration tables) enforce these country ("regulatory domain") regulations.

The information for version "O" is out now; and note that the firmware, as it was for "M" is that it is for non U.S. and Canadian countries. Let me add that this is one more thing that is an issue with this router. I do not mind firmware release of other countries, but if there are fixes and it is meant to be a non version then there should be a compiled version for US and Canada with the fixes too.

Here is the notations for "O, " which are the same for "M."

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 1.0.1.4o ( for non U.S. and Canada countries )
Support language: English / Traditional Chinese / French / German / Czech / Polish / Russian / Turkish / Thai / Malaysian / Simplified Chinese / Brazil / Dansk / Finsk / Norsk / Svensk
Fixed bug:
01. fix duplicate usb storage share directory
02. fix ntfs issues
- fix default nls setting
- fix wrong file size information
- fix reboot due to I/O load
03. improve media server robustness and interoperability
04. improve vpn passthrough support
05. fix firewall packet logging function
06. fix to restart telnet server service without reboot
07. remove GUI QIS username/password max input length limit
08. add GUI hostname check
09. fix GUI ASUS DDNS hostname check
10. fix WPS logic
- fix HW PBC to be 2.4G single band
- SW PIN/PBC still dual band switchable
- default WPS ssid is randomly generated as RT-N56U_**** format
- fix GUI uptime display
11. remove username/password prompt on GUI QIS pages
12. fix DHCP server issuess
- add ISP DNS server list to DCHP options to fix ISP interoperability issue
- restart no reboot now
13. fix some GUI wording
14. fix http server security vulnerability due to no authentication for URLs in white list

Last edited:
I chuckled when I read: 4) Improved VPN passthrough support.

Since 1.0.1.4 allows Nortel VPN passthrough and 1.0.1.4o breaks it, it puts a new meaning to the word "improved." My sister, who was telecomuting to her job 80 miles away has found a place to stay near her work so I no longer have the ability to experiment with VPN.