What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There seems to be a new firmware posted on the ftp site. RT-N56U 8.1.1.4o.trx.

Does anyone know what the changes are and whether it is worth an upgrade?

Just flashed RT-N56U 8.1.1.4o.trx.

No ill effects so far.

Have no clue what the changes are relative to the previous version.

Speculating here, but the version numbers when high such as 3 or 7 where experimental for a feature, or were for foreign versions (e.g. ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware 7.0.1.32 is only for Russia)

Speculating here, but the version numbers when high such as 3 or 7 where experimental for a feature, or were for foreign versions (e.g. ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware 7.0.1.32 is only for Russia)

Yes, that could very well be the case. If it is a non-US version, is there any harm to using it in the US if you select only the US channels? For example, I found that 1.0.1.4 (US) has a DNS problem, whereas 1.0.1.4m and 1.0.1.4o do not.

BTW, I think 3.5.0.1 was a straight beta without country limitation:

"ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware 3.5.0.1
This BETA FW enables RT-N56U with 3G(WCDMA) modem for internet access backup.
For 3G USB modem(dongle) support list, please refer to the RT-N13U table at the following link.
“http://tw.asus.com/Static_WebPage/3g_support/”"

If you're in North America use the non-US version, you may well select a regulatory domain (country) that has LOWER RF power limits than the US. That's not a help.

If you're in North America use the non-US version, you may well select a regulatory domain (country) that has LOWER RF power limits than the US. That's not a help.

I checked inSSIDER and it seems to be about the same. Also, the newest version (8.1.1.4) only has Auto and Ch. 1-11 on 2.4, which leads me to believe it's OK for US.

So far, it seems to be working fine for my network. Whatever change they made is not obvious looking at the GUI pages.

There seems to be a new firmware posted on the ftp site. RT-N56U 8.1.1.4o.trx.

Does anyone know what the changes are and whether it is worth an upgrade?

I've been running it for about 24 hours with no problems.

Just discovered limitation that I am not too happy about. I can only reserve IP address for 8 devices! Then I get error "This table only allow 8 items"

This appears to be a limitation of firmware <= 1.0.1.3. Firmware 1.0.1.4 and greater allow more than 8. I am using 14 right now with 8.1.1.4o.

Here's the changelog for 8.1.1.4o:

ASUS RT-N56U Beta Firmware Version 8.1.1.4 ( beta firmware for Singtel Users, Singapore )
Fixed bug:
01. Add Malayisan Unifi support.
02. Add Singapore Singtel's exStream support.
03. Add manual settings for VID and PRIO of Internet, IPTV and VoIP.

I'll just turn off Special ISP Requirement to "None" and pretend I am in Malaysia or Singapore.

Ah, I was just going to ask about a Cisco VPN...my work VPN is a Cisco VPN, and I often need to use it. I've been putting off buying/trying one of these until I see that I can log into my work VPN. And hopefully use the hardware NAT as well.

Guess I'm still waiting, then.

Anybody have any idea what these mean? I have them all throughout my General Log:

Aug 7 19:32:13 kernel: PeerAddBAReqActionSanity: ADDBA Request frame length size = 24 incorrect
Aug 7 19:32:13 kernel: PeerAddBARspActionSanity: ADDBA Response frame length size = 24 incorrect

Yes, I have a another router that is fine with my work VPN. Actually, I"ve never had a router that didn't work with my work VPN...But I had my eye on the Asus, because there are some things about it that I really like, especially the hardware NAT. No Asus for me though until they get the firmware to work with Cisco VPN.

So, my speculation was correct. And it is beta, lol.

ASUS RT-N56U Beta Firmware Version 8.1.1.4 ( beta firmware for Singtel Users, Singapore )

A lot of home routers do not have an issue with VPN, because they will have the handlers to allow passthrough. With this router though, if you have to enable the passthrough to allow a VPN to work, it can disable the hardware NAT acceleration. Sucks....

Ah, I was just going to ask about a Cisco VPN...my work VPN is a Cisco VPN, and I often need to use it. I've been putting off buying/trying one of these until I see that I can log into my work VPN. And hopefully use the hardware NAT as well.

Guess I'm still waiting, then.
Please note that 1.0.1.4 firmware allowed my sister to successfully connect to her Nortel VPN. That is the latest official USA firmware. 1.0.1.4m and 1.0.1.4o created the VPN problem.

A lot of home routers do not have an issue with VPN, because they will have the handlers to allow passthrough. With this router though, if you have to enable the passthrough to allow a VPN to work, it can disable the hardware NAT acceleration. Sucks....

That's probably because the other home routers use software NAT.

That's probably because the other home routers use software NAT.

If it is hardware or software is actually irrelevant. It is the very fact of NAT itself that the need for a handler is necessary. Due to the fact that NAT inadvertently breaks the end to end connectivity required by VPN.