What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This router drove me crazy

The admin password has a 16 character length limit but doesn't specify it anywhere.
When you change the admin password you can enter more than 16 characters and it accepts the password
However when you try to login it won't work if you chose a password with more than 16 characters because the password has actually been set to the first 16 characters of the password you set.

It spent hours trying to remember what my password was.
Only to reset and restore to an old backup setting file I found.
When I changed the admin password, I couldn't login again!!

I hate you Asus!

Happy and content with this Router. Wifi coverage is impressive, performance while in heavy usage is also impressive.

There is a DDNS configuration option on the unit; as for CUSTOM entry, I am not clear about that. But, I tried using both CUSTOM and STATIC - both entries did not hamper Dyndns service. I do get errors from the units' Log:

ct 8 00:47:35 ddns update: connected to members.dyndns.org (***.**.***.***) on port 80.
Oct 8 00:47:35 ddns update: authentication failure

But the Dyndns service does work and is has not failed in any way. So, I am not sure as to why it's receiving that error message. May be other member can shed some light on this.

Here vid about the FW. http://www.youtube.com/user/asidscript#p/a/u/1/oZuGgJjb6kg

Last edited:
did anyone of you upgraded to the latest 1.0.1.7 firmware ? juz want to know if its stable and perform great.

im still running the 1.0.1.2 firmware which is running great for me atm

does it delete all ur setup .. internet .. lan .. wlan if you upgrade the firmware? or does the router store the settings?

Logging FTP usage on RT-n56u

Hi, Is anyone aware of ways to log the ftp usage on the RT-n56u router?

The log would ideally contain an ip address, dates and times of each attempted upload/download and possibly which files were accessed.

If this is not a feature of the router is anyone aware of how to script it in somehow?

Also, am I right in believing this router does not support SFTP?

Thank You,
George

I just bought this router , wireless is suck.

I want to know how to set portforward ?

Last edited:
No,it does not delete current configuration. But, in anycase, backing-up current configuration is always recommended before any updates.

"Wireless is suck?"
Go to: Advanced setting - WAN - Virtual Server. Below, configure port-foward.

I meant the wireless was so weak .
Over 10meter , my IPHONE can't receive any wifi signal.

Thanks for telling me how to set portforward.

Do I need to enable Virtual Server ?

Good question; I just got the Router myself, not too long ago. But, I think you do need to enable Virtual Server. Mine is enabled.

As for your issue about Iphone connection - I think, your configs is causing connection issues. You may want to conduct a scan of your entire area to see if a channel is being overly used and if your Iphone is using that overly used channel.

If enable virtual server , The Hardware NAT will be disable.

Which config.
I already scan all channel but no signal when I am in living room , the distance between router and living room about 20meter and 3 concrete wall.

Lacks DDNS update capability

Well it does have a Asus DDNS which just sucks. The lack of an ability to update common DDNS services like DynDNS made this router unusable for me. If you need to update your DDNS service this router can not be used by you.

Man there are some serious ignorant posts here, and need to be cleaned up.

I just bought this router , wireless is suck.

YMMV, with any router and the mixing of core logics used to send and receive Wi-Fi. Sometimes, a simple configuration change can mean awesome coverage and performance. My roommate's IPhone works perfectly with my RT-N56U, and other IPhone users have connected to my wireless network too. There may be an issue elsewhere.

You may want to conduct a scan of your entire area to see if a channel is being overly used and if your Iphone is using that overly used channel.

To note the RT-N56U will scan and use what is found to be the best. Look in the dmesg log to see the scans. However, I do not refute the fact that configuring Wi-Fi settings yourself can resolve possible issues. Again, YMMV.

Thanks for telling me how to set portforward.

Do I need to enable Virtual Server ?

Yes, Virtual Server must be enabled for the packets to be forwarded on the allocated ports. The forwarding rule must be set and Virtual Server must be enabled. Note, do not configure the local port it can cause the port not to forward. Only configure the port range(s). You can set a range of consecutive ports like so 1000-1010. If you do not know the protocol look it up or configure as both. No need to configure the protocol number; the very last field.

Unfortunately, every configuration you place will be forwarded. There is no way to select which one to only open. Really asinine of Asus to not have selectable ports you wish to be opened or closed.

An example for Teamspeak using X to note the variable for a class c network address:
Teamspeak 3 Server 9987 192.168.x.x UDP
Teamspeak 3 Server 10011 192.168.x.x TCP
Teamspeak 3 Server 30033 192.168.x.x TCP

If enable virtual server , The Hardware NAT will be disable.

There are only a few configurations that will disable HW NAT acceleration, enabling port forwarding is not one of them. Enabling multicast for any of the wireless radios, enabling QoS, and enabling L2TP/IPSec passthrough will cause the HW NAT module not to load.

Well it does have a Asus DDNS which just sucks. The lack of an ability to update common DDNS services like DynDNS made this router unusable for me. If you need to update your DDNS service this router can not be used by you.

The RT-N56U supports DynDNS and had 3 configurations for it-works without issue too.

I just bought one of these to replace an old USR unit.
Looks good so far, but I did a port probe using ShieldsUp and found that Port 21 was not stealthed.
This is the only one of the first 1024 that isn't. The old USR unit was 100% stealthed.

Is there a setting that I can use that would change this ?
Anyone else with this same situation ?

Thanks.