What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - Access Admin page of Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnT

Occasional Visitor
I set up a second router ASUS RT-N66U in AP mode. I set up the primary router (also an ASUS RT-N66U) where I manually reserved the ip address of 192.168.1.2 to that of the AP router.

I have internet (both wireless and wired) - everything seems to work ok. However, I cannot access the AP router when I type 192.168.1.2 using a browser. How can I get to the admin page of the AP router. Do I have to shut down the primary router to get to the AP router?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere in the firmware, that there is a download (I think) that can be used to discover all the devices on the network, how do I get this - if needed.

Thank you,
John

Perhaps you selected the wrong MAC address when assigning the static IP on your primary router. Routers have several MAC addresses.

As another option go into the Admin page on the AP and under LAN assign the IP to the AP there.

Before doing this go into the primary router's Admin page and delete the static IP assigned there.

If you can't discover the AP's current IP just factory reset it using the reset button and start from scratch.

Also, I thought I saw somewhere in the firmware, that there is a download (I think) that can be used to discover all the devices on the network, how do I get this - if needed.

Thank you,
John

You get the ASUS RT-AC66U Device Discovery tool from the Asus support site, under download - utilities once you enter your notebooks OS

This link may work to put you in the area of the downloads, otherwise just work your way down their site to find what you need.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&s=2&m=RT-AC66U&os=&hashedid=LzShv8ma7TrQB4eO

Perhaps you selected the wrong MAC address when assigning the static IP on your primary router. Routers have several MAC addresses.

As another option go into the Admin page on the AP and under LAN assign the IP to the AP there.

Before doing this go into the primary router's Admin page and delete the static IP assigned there.

If you can't discover the AP's current IP just factory reset it using the reset button and start from scratch.

My problem is that I can't access the AP routers admin page using 192.168.1.2
Thanks. Maybe my set-up steps are incorrect. Ok once I take the AP out things work fine. I am trying to extend my network (both wired and wireless) by setting up another router on other side of the house by using the second router as an access point. What are the next steps I should do to get the AP set up

Should I first reserve an IP address on the primary router
Then set up ,from factory defaults, the AP router with the reserved IP address from the primary router and with the same SSID for wireless as that of the primary router.

My problem is that I can't access the AP routers admin page using 192.168.1.2
Thanks. Maybe my set-up steps are incorrect. Ok once I take the AP out things work fine. I am trying to extend my network (both wired and wireless) by setting up another router on other side of the house by using the second router as an access point. What are the next steps I should do to get the AP set up

Should I first reserve an IP address on the primary router
Then set up ,from factory defaults, the AP router with the reserved IP address from the primary router and with the same SSID for wireless as that of the primary router.

By the way I read that the WAN port of the AP should be connected to a LAN port on the primary router but then I hear just the opposite that the LAN port on the the AP router should be connected to the LAN port of the primary router and then another LAN port on the AP router to a PC. Which way is the correct method

By the way I read that the WAN port of the AP should be connected to a LAN port on the primary router but then I hear just the opposite that the LAN port on the the AP router should be connected to the LAN port of the primary router and then another LAN port on the AP router to a PC. Which way is the correct method

Start by connecting LAN on primary router to LAN on router to be the AP.

After you get it setup and working in the AP mode you can connect the primary router to the AP using the WAN port as the firmware for ASUS/Merlin makes the WAN port function as a LAN report.