What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nnike

Occasional Visitor

Fixed:
1. Fixed throughput issue when VPN server broadcast is enabled.
2. Fixed DNS Amplified DDoS vulnerability.

Modified:
1. Disable auto mac clone for Singpore SKU.

Added:
1. Roaming assistance option in wireless->professional. Administrator can define the disconnection RSSI threshold. It can help client switch to better signal AP faster in multiple AP environment.

File Size 25,24 (MB) 2013.10.09

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&p=11&s=2

New RT-N66U Firmware 3.0.0.4.374.979

New released Firmware from Asus.

Fixed:
1. Fixed throughput issue when VPN server broadcast is enabled.
2. Fixed DNS Amplified DDoS vulnerability.

Modified:
1. Disable auto mac clone for Singpore SKU.

Added:
1. Roaming assistance option in wireless->professional. Administrator can define the disconnection RSSI threshold. It can help client switch to better signal AP faster in multiple AP environment.
File Size 25,24 (MBytes) 2013.10.09 update

amp DDOS, that is bad but for the home user not a problem I guess, nice to see the Roaming assistance option.

Nothing that will stop me waiting for Merlins next build :)

amp DDOS, that is bad but for the home user not a problem I guess, nice to see the Roaming assistance option.

Nothing that will stop me waiting for Merlins next build :)

i deal with alot of ddos on my rt-ac66u, just turned qos on and since i have had it on the only attack i have been hit by worked, the router is really good at dealing with attacks with qos off tho if you have high internet speed, curious if i have ever been hit with a attack that had amplified dns

Not available on US site. Only shows up for Windows 8. What's up with that?

Last edited:
amp DDOS, that is bad but for the home user not a problem I

The "amplified DDOS" attack is performed against DNS servers, not home users, using ("amplifying") a small # of bytes to request a very large # of bytes back from the DNS server being asked to do recursion. I'm guessing they did something to lessen the ability of an infected computer behind the router to perform queries that it would be compelled to do if controlled by a botnet.

http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/editorial/41649.asp

i deal with alot of ddos on my rt-ac66u, just turned qos on and since i have had it on the only attack i have been hit by worked, the router is really good at dealing with attacks with qos off tho if you have high internet speed, curious if i have ever been hit with a attack that had amplified dns

You have not been "hit" with an amplified DNS attack unless you also happen to run a root or TLD DNS server behind your router at home.

I'm also uncertain at the correlation between QOS performance and resistance to shed off unwanted incoming traffic, maybe Merlin would know.

Last edited:
I'd be real surprised if it mattered. Windows 7 and 8 are very similar inside.

The firmwares are OS-agnostic. It doesn't matter what OS you chose, in fact I usually select Others for firmware updates. This is just to make it easier to find for people selecting their OS.

Just curious why it is available under windows 8 but not windows 7. Hate to upload it and it brick my router.

It's just how the webmaster added it to the website.

Installed it and running good for what I need it to do. Both bands I'm getting 23 Mbps download speed and I'm paying for 20 so that is good.

But is 2.4 Ghz wifi range still poor on the RT-N66U since I see no driver update?

Update:

Same room upstairs which gets the worst signal using inSSIDer

On .276 2.4 GHz band I got a -44 at best

On .374.979 2.4 GHz band I got -52 at best

So for me it seems .276 gives me the best range.

Guess the range was not fixed in this firmware release.

No fix for the signal issues and still no v6 firewall. Unreal why bother with it. :(

This version seems to have the same problem with choosing channels.. Whenever I choose a specific channel it locks the 5ghz into 40mhz only instead of 20/40.. does anyone else see this issue with this version or is it just me?

Note since some may ask, when updating to the firmwares I always erase the NVRAM so it isn't a holdover from the previous settings etc

This version seems to have the same problem with choosing channels.. Whenever I choose a specific channel it locks the 5ghz into 40mhz only instead of 20/40.. does anyone else see this issue with this version or is it just me?

Note since some may ask, when updating to the firmwares I always erase the NVRAM so it isn't a holdover from the previous settings etc

Yes, it's a small bug. Keep in mind that this firmware (sdk6) was never intended to be used with the rt-n66u. They had to retrofit it. If you tried Merlin's pixie dust, you would understand what I mean.

Hopefully they will fix the minor bugs and range issues or come out with sdk7 tailored for their number one selling router on Amazon (RT-N66U). It's kind of ridiculous that they are not prioritizing the product that put them on the mainstream router map. They're spending too much time on their AC products instead of getting this right.

This firmware is very good workaround but that's it....IMO.