What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I successfully got firmware version 3.0.0.3.96 loaded correctly, but it is buggy as heck on my router. When trying to access any of the USB utilities, or trying to enable DLNA it essentially causes my browser to hang. I still have internet access however I am no longer able to access the router via 192.168.1.1, very strange. If I turn the router off and back on it works fine, however, the settings apparently don't apply. I can no longer access my NAS using Samba or FTP as I can't enable them in the new firmware.

Tomato "seemed" to give me MUCH better throughput. Take it with a grain of salt as I have no official tests, but my download speeds were much quicker. The problem I have with Tomato though is usb speed was pretty dismal vs. the Asus firmware...I got around 1 or 2mb/s max vs. 5-6 on the stock firmware.

All in all I think I was most satisfied with .90 :(

The Netgear WNDR4500 has been as stable as all get out with the most current firmware. Seems as though the rt-n66u is another example of the hype is better than real world experience. I am sure at some point ASUS will straighten it out, but until then the Netgear rocks and everything works.

Just received mine and not yet unpacked.
Two questions:
- I red about a weaker wifi signal after upgrading to .96 FW release version. Does this behaviour persist even after a nvram reset?

- playng wist the interface simulation on the asus web, I've not been able to set an ip or port range range neither for port forwarding, neither in the rules definition.
Is there a special character to use to set a range instead of a single ip or port?

Thanks

AndreaS

Is it this way with the Tomato firmware also?

I was interested in this router. My current RT-N56U router has problems with QOS also, or at least when I'm uploading more than one file at a time, to Skydrive, I basically can't do much else until the uploads finish. I was hoping this RT-N66U was different.

Wireless works perfect with or without torrents going on other computers with tomato.

I've been in touch with someone from Asus, PLEASE let them know what problems you are seeing and please try to explain whats happening, when and whats steps if any when problems happen.

Not sure about the Netgear 4500, but the 3700v1 was solid, months went by without any issues, Netgear did amazing job firmware wise, to bad the radio on mine crapped out. That said, had some issues when first released, hopefully Asus can get this one going too.

Just received mine and not yet unpacked.
Two questions:
- I red about a weaker wifi signal after upgrading to .96 FW release version. Does this behaviour persist even after a nvram reset?

- playng wist the interface simulation on the asus web, I've not been able to set an ip or port range range neither for port forwarding, neither in the rules definition.
Is there a special character to use to set a range instead of a single ip or port?

Thanks

AndreaS

I'm seeing decreased signal strength after going to .96, but I did not reset the nvram. I was on the beta 3.1 prior to updating to .96.

Been using Stock 3.0.0.3.90 for a week with no reboots - rock solid. Loaded 96 this afternoon and after 15 minutes big trouble with reboots every few minutes. Have tried hard reset into rescue mode but can't get router into rescue mode (according to utility softeware) but power LED is doing the slow flash.

Gone back to 3.1.0.3.90

Been using Stock 3.0.0.3.90 for a week with no reboots - rock solid. Loaded 96 this afternoon and after 15 minutes big trouble with reboots every few minutes. Have tried hard reset into rescue mode but can't get router into rescue mode (according to utility softeware) but power LED is doing the slow flash.

Gone back to 3.1.0.3.90
Please email Networking_Support@asus.com and tell them the problems you're having.

OK, about the signal strength issue with .96, I noticed that you can now increase the "tx power adjustment" setting in the Wireless-Professional screen. I set it to a higher value and signal strength is strong again.

Question: what value should be set for each network? What's the maximum? I'm new to this, so bear with me. Thanks.

Here's a suggestion for the folks who had a router already before buying an RT-N66U.
1. Load the most stable (as of this writing) firmware release on your RT-N66U - firmware 3.0.0.3.90.
2. Put your RT-N66U in the Access Point mode and connect its WAN interface to your other router's LAN interface.
3. Enable all the routing functions (DHCP, NAT, firewall, port forwarding, QoS, etc) on your other router and disable wireless on that router.
4. Use four remaining RT-N66U's LAN Gigabit ports for the wired clients that support 1 Gbps connections. Use your other router's Ethernet ports (if they are 100 Mbps ports) for the wired clients that do not support 1 Gbps connections.
5. Enjoy the superior Wi-Fi capability on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands that RT-N66U has to offer but use it only as a wireless bridge and wired switch. Do not use it as a router yet until Asus fixes all of their bugs.

I believe that Asus should actually release an Access Point device based on the same internals as RT-N66U (sans the hardware dedicated to routing and NAT) and charge something like $120 for it. Why re-invent the wheel especially when you have so much trouble with it? RT-N66U is a superior Access Point but a lousy router at this time. Many advanced users have much more sophisticated routing devices already, and all they really want from RT-N66U is its excellent Wi-Fi and Gigabit LAN capability. I would also suggest putting some advanced LAN features such as 802.1Q and 802.3ad into such a device.

Here's a suggestion for the folks who had a router already before buying an RT-N66U.
1. Load the most stable (as of this writing) firmware release on your RT-N66U - firmware 3.0.0.3.90.
2. Put your RT-N66U in the Access Point mode and connect its WAN interface to your other router's LAN interface.
3. Enable all the routing functions (DHCP, NAT, firewall, port forwarding, QoS, etc) on your other router and disable wireless on that router.
4. Use four remaining RT-N66U's LAN Gigabit ports for the wired clients that support 1 Gbps connections. Use your other router's Ethernet ports (if they are 100 Mbps ports) for the wired clients that do not support 1 Gbps connections.
5. Enjoy the superior Wi-Fi capability on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands that RT-N66U has to offer but use it only as a wireless bridge and wired switch. Do not use it as a router yet until Asus fixes all of their bugs.

I believe that Asus should actually release an Access Point device based on the same internals as RT-N66U (sans the hardware dedicated to routing and NAT) and charge something like $120 for it. Why re-invent the wheel especially when you have so much trouble with it? RT-N66U is a superior Access Point but a lousy router at this time. Many advanced users have much more sophisticated routing devices already, and all they really want from RT-N66U is its excellent Wi-Fi and Gigabit LAN capability. I would also suggest putting some advanced LAN features such as 802.1Q and 802.3ad into such a device.

You forgot to mention that both routers will be on different networks and that your RT-N66U will be double NAT. Your main (internet) router will need to have a static route going to your RT-N66U's network address so that hosts on the RT-N66U can talk with your hosts on the main router and vice versa.

Its impossible to brick a ASUS router, you can always use recovery mode.

RT-N66U_3002_56.zip => Name says all

I cannot test cause i dont have it yet, otherway i would test it...

You forgot to mention that both routers will be on different networks and that your RT-N66U will be double NAT. Your main (internet) router will need to have a static route going to your RT-N66U's network address so that hosts on the RT-N66U can talk with your hosts on the main router and vice versa.

You are wrong. When you put your RT-N66U in the AP mode, it becomes a Layer 2 device. It becomes agnostic of any Layer 3 protocol, and only uses Layer 2 functionality to bridge traffic connected to its LAN interfaces, its wireless interface, and its WAN interface at Layer 2. Therefore, all your clients will be in the same Layer 2 domain as your other router's LAN interface, and will be able to receive DHCP directly from your other router. Putting RT-N66U in the AP mode disables all Layer 3 functionality of the RT-N66U (DHCP, routing, NAT, etc.). The only Layer 3 function it retains is its LAN IP address that is now used only for administering RT-N66U via its web GUI.

Just make sure that the IP address assigned to the LAN interface of the RT-N66U is in the same range as the subnet on your other router's LAN interface (which is the same subnet served by the other router's DHCP server) before changing the RT-N66U into the AP mode. This is needed only to be able to continue to administer RT-N66U via its web GUI from a client that received the DHCP from the other router. If you don't do this step, your clients will still be on the same network as the subnet assigned to the other router's LAN interface, but you won't be able to get to your RT-N66U web GUI for administration. You could always rectify that error by manually assigning an IP to your client in the same range as the RT-N66U's LAN interface in order to be able to connect to RT-N66U via its web GUI and change its LAN IP address to one in the same range as the subnet assigned to your other router's LAN interface.

Last edited:
Its impossible to brick a ASUS router, you can always use recovery mode.

RT-N66U_3002_56.zip => Name says all

I cannot test cause i dont have it yet, otherway i would test it...

Nice one !! Im only to scared to flash my own before sombody else has it is way to expensive imo to brick. So you daredevils out there please go for it and tell us what this wrt is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.