What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the reboots and disconnects as soon as I loaded 96. I was not using the USB ports but did have manually configured port forwarding through to a windows server. The problems occurred without me trying to access the server. Back to 90 and now rock solid. Emailed ASUS and they promptly replied asking me to list all my problems. Also said another firmware version will be out this month.

In setting up the RT-N66U with the "90" firmware...

1) I need to be able "name" the MAC addresses with a device name - not sure about you guys but I cannot remember the mapping for 20+ IPs for all the devices.

2) Also, there are 2 separate MAC lists, one for 2.4GHz, one for 5GHz, so I have enter the MACs twice. I understand why there is the option but there needs to be an option to use 1 listing.

So I may have to try the alternate firmware you guys are talking about...

FW_RT_N66U_B1_300396 issues - Summary

Guys,

I have been reading all you guy's inputs as far as the new fw and issues or not issues and IMHO some known facts are:

-the issues don't seem to be related to USB devices connected (various users reported not having issues with USB connected)

-the issues seem almost positive to be related to NAT loopback and portfwd. If one does not use at all port fwd he/she will very likely never incur disconnects/reboots because he or she will never need the actual NAT loopback, where you basically need to access an internal device via an external wan IP (or hostname-dyndns) pointing to the same device.

-in all this mess I'm unclear what role plays the hw acceleration. I do remember having it still disable after upgrading to the new fw but cannot remember if the issues started then OR after I put it back to: use hw acceleration.

Guys please feel free to comment here based on your experience.
I will fwd these statements to Asus but DON'T feel like waiting for them to figure all out w/o us here.

Regards,
G37x

In setting up the RT-N66U with the "90" firmware...

1) I need to be able "name" the MAC addresses with a device name - not sure about you guys but I cannot remember the mapping for 20+ IPs for all the devices.

2) Also, there are 2 separate MAC lists, one for 2.4GHz, one for 5GHz, so I have enter the MACs twice. I understand why there is the option but there needs to be an option to use 1 listing.

So I may have to try the alternate firmware you guys are talking about...

give it a shot and report back your findings!

http://www.4shared.com/get/FiMSXLTl/tomato-K26USB-12804953MIPSR2-T.html

RT-N66U 3G/WiMax backup

It needs a phone number and a username/password? I've got a USB adapter (Sierra Wireless Overdrive w/ Sprint) and there is none of that... Really love this router to be able to fail back onto my mifi device.

Are you using dns, and are you logging on from within your local lan?

That is my problem. If I log onto my dns from outside of my lan, I have no problem with the ipcams and HW Acceleration enabled, but I can only see them from inside if I disable HW Accelerator. Adam from Asus was having the same problem from within the lab. Hopefully they will have it fixed soon.

Thanks...

Hi im using dns and logging on from within my local lan with my dyndns name stating the port ex no.way.nu:8083 in my browser the latest ie and on my andriod tab using the default browser.
With hw/a turned on and every thing is running smoth

Hi,
I did. Nothing unusual. It is running since I updated. Almost 3 days.

guys,
just wondering if this supports vlans ? an expansion of what vlan capabilities the router has would be very helpful.

also how is UPNP working out?

Neil.

Guys,

I have been reading all you guy's inputs as far as the new fw and issues or not issues and IMHO some known facts are:

-the issues don't seem to be related to USB devices connected (various users reported not having issues with USB connected)

-the issues seem almost positive to be related to NAT loopback and portfwd. If one does not use at all port fwd he/she will very likely never incur disconnects/reboots because he or she will never need the actual NAT loopback, where you basically need to access an internal device via an external wan IP (or hostname-dyndns) pointing to the same device.

-in all this mess I'm unclear what role plays the hw acceleration. I do remember having it still disable after upgrading to the new fw but cannot remember if the issues started then OR after I put it back to: use hw acceleration.

Guys please feel free to comment here based on your experience.
I will fwd these statements to Asus but DON'T feel like waiting for them to figure all out w/o us here.

Regards,
G37x

I think you are correct in your general assessment that the crux of the problem is with the nat loopback and port fwd fix. Can you please fwd this to asus as I am not getting a response from my email.

Thanks in advance.

I think you are correct in your general assessment that the crux of the problem is with the nat loopback and port fwd fix. Can you please fwd this to asus as I am not getting a response from my email.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my summary. I already fwd-ed all this to Asus, although I'm unsure if they will ever read it.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my summary. I already fwd-ed all this to Asus, although I'm unsure if they will ever read it.

Hi i have reported bugs 3 times to asus the first time i got a response but not the last two. The first time was before they posted the .96 firmware and after they posted the new firmware no responses at all so anything regarding the new firmware i dont know if they have read?? mayby ill email them again and see if they respond.

I upgraded to the latest firmware (3.0.0.3.96) this morning.

Note that I do not have anything connected to the USB ports and am not using NAT loopback.

My experience with 3.0.0.3.96 so far

1. Stability:
No reboots or instability so far! (been running it for an hour or more).

2. Signal strength

With the latest firmware (3.0.0.3.96), signal strength does seem a bit lower though (will need to confirm by going back to the previous firmware and taking comparative measurements today).

E.g. on the Blu-Ray player, all the way in the opposite corner of my residence one floor down from the router, signal strength is 4 - 4 1/2 bars, as opposed to an amazing 5 bars with Beta Version 3.1.0.3.90 (note the 1 in the second section which would normally imply a newer firmware than 3.0.x.x.xx, which is strange - also the reference to 'beta' in the name is interesting).

On my laptop, using my USB wifi 802.11n adapter, it was as weak as -45 dBm (lower is better) and just now, coincidentally, -33dBm. It seems to vary, partially, just on moving my laptop about 15 inches to put it on my lap e.g. instead of on the bed beside me (without moving the adapter which is attached by a USB 'extension' cord).

3.Throughput (more relevant to performance than signal strength).
Throughput is about the same as with the previous firmware (perhaps a tad lower, but LAN Speed Test varies from run to run anyway).

4. Transmit (TX) power
- I temporarily increased the transmit power, on 2.4 GHz only (was not testing 5 GHz, from 40mW to 80mW and noticed no difference in signal strength or throughput!
(The setting is located in the Wireless section's 'Professional' tab for those who want to experiment)

I may go back to Beta Version 3.1.0.3.90 and check the signal strength and throughput of the laptop again and Blu-Ray player signal strength again (no means to test throughput on this player).

Asus official firmware:
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#download

At least it is stable for me without any disconnects.
I will post after going back to the old firmware (I don't want to go back and forth more than a few times though, for obvious reasons).

Last edited:
I upgraded to the latest firmware (3.0.0.3.96) this morning.

Note that I do not have anything connected to the USB ports and am not using NAT loopback.

My experience with 3.0.0.3.96 so far

1. Stability:
No reboots or instability so far! (been running it for an hour or more).

2. Signal strength

With the latest firmware (3.0.0.3.96), signal strength does seem a bit lower though (will need to confirm by going back to the previous firmware and taking comparative measurements today).

E.g. on the Blu-Ray player, all the way in the opposite corner of my residence one floor down from the router, signal strength is 4 - 4 1/2 bars, as opposed to an amazing 5 bars with Beta Version 3.1.0.3.90 (note the 1 in the second section which would normally imply a newer firmware than 3.0.x.x.xx, which is strange - also the reference to 'beta' in the name is interesting).

On my laptop, using my USB wifi 802.11n adapter, it was as weak as -45 dBm (lower is better) and just now, coincidentally, -33dBm. It seems to vary, partially, just on moving my laptop about 15 inches to put it on my lap e.g. instead of on the bed beside me (without moving the adapter which is attached by a USB 'extension' cord).

3.Throughput (more relevant to performance than signal strength).
Throughput is about the same as with the previous firmware (perhaps a tad lower, but LAN Speed Test varies from run to run anyway).

4. Transmit (TX) power
- I temporarily increased the transmit power, on 2.4 GHz only (was not testing 5 GHz, from 40mW to 80mW and noticed no difference in signal strength or throughput!
(The setting is located in the Wireless section's 'Professional' tab for those who want to experiment)

I may go back to Beta Version 3.1.0.3.90 and check the signal strength and throughput of the laptop again and Blu-Ray player signal strength again (no means to test throughput on this player).

Asus official firmware:
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#download

At least it is stable for me without any disconnects.
I will post after going back to the old firmware (I don't want to go back and forth more than a few times though, for obvious reasons).

You said it all:

"Note that I do not have anything connected to the USB ports and am not using NAT loopback."

Expect no issues with stability.

4 days up time now with the .96 version. For me as stable as the versions before.

Regarding USB problems I have a 2.5 Samsung 640 GB attached to the RT-N66U and no problems whatsoever.

4 days up time now with the .96 version. For me as stable as the versions before.

Regarding USB problems I have a 2.5 Samsung 640 GB attached to the RT-N66U and no problems whatsoever.

But you are not using any NAT loopback or port fwd are you?

Have you tried to access the Webcam thru its web interface yet? Or the NAS web interface?
curious why it works for some, and not for others.

No problems to access both the webcam and the NAS through the web interface.
Data volume used today so far 6,5 GB.

There appear to be a little confusion about the HW Accelerator enable/disable button. Are you sure that you have the correct button selected?

Ok, so i gave it another go. Disabled H/W before upgrading to .96, and made sure it stayed off after the update, i now been up for 6 hours and no problems at all, port forwarding working right. Can access all my devices thru lan. So far, all seems good to go.
Going to leave it for a day or so, if no problems going to turn h/w back on.
no usb devices plugged in.

There appear to be a little confusion about the HW Accelerator enable/disable button. Are you sure that you have the correct button selected?

Yes its a little wierd formulated on the setup page if you want it disabled you have to set it to yes. Normally its formulated to enable hw/a Yes or No. Now its the outher way around.

I totally agree. If you want to have it enabled, it has to be set to no. They could have done a better job of wording.

Status
Not open for further replies.