What's new

Asus RT-N66U operation mode: Wireless router mode, repeater mode or Access point mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reginaldvw

Occasional Visitor
I have a router that was supplied by my ISP. It has 4 wired ports and wifi. In some rooms in the house there was no signal so I bought a second hand Asus RT-N66U.

In which mode should it operate? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the different modes?

The most obvious solution would be Access point mode because it is connected to the ISP router by a cable. But in AP mode the firewall, IP sharing and NAT functions are disabled. So I was just wondering maybe Wireless router mode is better or safer?

Your cable router will have to be bridged and run the RT-N66U as a router. This is my exact setup.

I have a router that was supplied by my ISP. It has 4 wired ports and wifi. In some rooms in the house there was no signal so I bought a second hand Asus RT-N66U.

In which mode should it operate? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the different modes?

The most obvious solution would be Access point mode because it is connected to the ISP router by a cable. But in AP mode the firewall, IP sharing and NAT functions are disabled. So I was just wondering maybe Wireless router mode is better or safer?

I'll make it simple:

If you want to hardwire the ASUS with the ISP's router (via very long Ethernet cables), use AP mode. You can't run it as router mode due to "double NAT" which isn't stable and only causes network problems.

Advantage of AP mode: no loss in throughput. Very stable connection between the main router and ASUS. Ideal for WiFi gaming and streaming where latency is paramount.

If you don't like wires, repeater mode:

it does the same thing as AP mode but no wires. (Not exactly really but similar functionality in the simplest case)

Disadvantage: 1/2 throughput when connected to ASUS. Higher latency and less stability due to varying SNR between ASUS and ISP router.

AP mode. The ISP's router remains as the firewall, DHCP, NAT, etc.
An AP would not do NAT as it has no WAN connection.

AP connects to router by cat5 cable or IP over power wiring (HomePlug, etc) or MoCA. See the section here by those names.

Your cable router will have to be bridged and run the RT-N66U as a router. This is my exact setup.

i would have to agree with this as most cable type modem have very sub par wifi and quite poor router power and using the n66u as just a wireless access point seems a big waste of what is a very good wireless router

OP what make and model is your cable modem , as if it can be bridged i would def go this posters recommendation as its a far better use of the n66u

pete

I've always used a cable modem without WiFi. Always owned by my ISP so there's no finger-pointing when troubles arise.

Last time I upgraded (to DOCSIS 3, $$$), they wanted to give me a router/modem. After some debate (argument), they gave me a modem only. Arris. Works well.

My ISP gave me a Ubee modem. I just turned the horrible wifi off on it and turned it into a bridge. Actually my cable company did it for me over the phone. It has 4 gigabit ports so I use those 4 ports to connect 4 routers to it. Only using 2 routers right now though.

Quick follow-up: while I understand bridging may have been the best solution, I hardwired the Asus with the ISP's router (I used a very long Ethernet cable).

I used AP mode. It works like a charm and I'm very happy with it.

As a result I can't connect to the router anymore but that is another thread.

Thank you, everyone, for pointing me in the right direction!

Last edited: