What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can flash back to stock through the Tomato GUI.

Thanks, That worked for me. I'm changed back to stock now.

Sadly, while tomato worked partially for what I wanted.. Stock isnt working at all for me!

I want to share a portable harddrive over my network so that my laptop can access the files too, It doesnt show up anywhere on the network. I can only access it through ftp.
I would like to view the movie files on it through a media server on my samsung tv mediaplayer or on my PS3. The media server shows, but it only has empty folders. It doesn't show any of the video files inside.

With Tomato that all worked except with the PS3. Kept giving me a network error.

Guess Im going back to Tomato.
Whats the best version?
I had tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO
That still good?

Thanks, That worked for me. I'm changed back to stock now.

Sadly, while tomato worked partially for what I wanted.. Stock isnt working at all for me!

I want to share a portable harddrive over my network so that my laptop can access the files too, It doesnt show up anywhere on the network. I can only access it through ftp.
I would like to view the movie files on it through a media server on my samsung tv mediaplayer or on my PS3. The media server shows, but it only has empty folders. It doesn't show any of the video files inside.

With Tomato that all worked except with the PS3. Kept giving me a network error.

Guess Im going back to Tomato.
Whats the best version?
I had tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO
That still good?

stock .108 is supposed to be the best stable stock version and you could try version .088 of shibby's tomato from what i gather. Not saying that I'm 100% correct, I'm just going by what I've read up to date so far. Hope that helps out for you!

Last edited:
Also, anything else new in the 092 build?

[RELEASE] 092!
changelog:
- Fix GUI broken in 090 in build without VPN

- Fix PPTP when used over WAN setup using PPPoE

- Transmission: lot of changes in compilation process:
* update to 2.51
* remove gettext from depends
* add libiconv + patches from openwrt
* revert transmission-remote tool as optional (TR_EXTRAS). Included in Mega-VPN and AIO builds
* add EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 to startup script
* result = very stable transmsision and very fast GUI

- BW Limiter: few fixes:
* fix default class for br3
* fix default classes (br1\br2\br3) when default class br0 is enabled

- curl update from 7.21.1 to 7.25.0

- libevent update from 2.0.11 to 2.0.18

- OpenSSL update from 1.0.0d to 1.0.1-stable including all teddy`s patches/changes

- 3G Modem: Add ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB3 to modem device list

no internet connectivity

wondering if someone can PLEASE help me.

not sure if it's coincidental or not but last night while trying to set up a wireless bridge with linksys wes610n, i changed my 5ghz band to be in wireless mode and after saving the settings my rt-n66u could not get onto the internet neither wired nor wireless. It did broadcast both wireless bands and the light for the ports were lit up but could not get on the internet.

I was able to log onto rt-n66u web GUI via 192.168.1.1 that's about it. I even tried to reboot the router via web GUI but still no internet connectivity.

in combination of turning the router off and unplugging it and unplugging the modem but nothing worked. i plugged my pc directly to the modem and it worked fine so it's gotta be the rt-n66u.

I'm on shibby's firmware version 085.

what else can I do? another way of resetting the router, flash to shibby's latest firmware or put in the latest stock firmware????

least favor scenario, could my rt-n66u be dead after 3 weeks of use?

thanx.

kd

wondering if someone can PLEASE help me.

not sure if it's coincidental or not but last night while trying to set up a wireless bridge with linksys wes610n, i changed my 5ghz band to be in wireless mode and after saving the settings my rt-n66u could not get onto the internet neither wired nor wireless. It did broadcast both wireless bands and the light for the ports were lit up but could not get on the internet.

I was able to log onto rt-n66u web GUI via 192.168.1.1 that's about it. I even tried to reboot the router via web GUI but still no internet connectivity.

in combination of turning the router off and unplugging it and unplugging the modem but nothing worked. i plugged my pc directly to the modem and it worked fine so it's gotta be the rt-n66u.

I'm on shibby's firmware version 085.

what else can I do? another way of resetting the router, flash to shibby's latest firmware or put in the latest stock firmware????

least favor scenario, could my rt-n66u be dead after 3 weeks of use?

thanx.

kd

Could it be your nvram is not completely erased?

What works best for me is using telnet to erase the nvram.

Got this great tip from RogerSC:

Make sure to enable telnet in 66u - System is turned ON
Enable telnet session, from C:\ prompt type:
telnet 192.168.1.1
enter login: admin
enter your password:xxxxx

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

That has cleared the nvram when all else has not worked and would recommend for every FW upgrade.

Also, If you haven't all ready, might also try turning off then on your PC. My adapter has stopped connecting to the internet when making FW changes and a full restart is the only cure.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Could it be your nvram is not completely erased?

What works best for me is using telnet to erase the nvram.

Got this great tip from RogerSC:

Make sure to enable telnet in 66u - System is turned ON
Enable telnet session, from C:\ prompt type:
telnet 192.168.1.1
enter login: admin
enter your password:xxxxx

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

That has cleared the nvram when all else has not worked and would recommend for every FW upgrade.

Good luck!

thank you for responding.

how do i do that on a MAC?

after typing in 'mtd-erase -d nvram', do I also type reboot as well? or physically reboot by turning router on and off or from the web GUI?

I'll try tonight when i get home. I'll post back.

kd.

Last edited:
thank you for responding.

how do i do that on a MAC?

after typing in 'mtd-erase -d nvram', do I also type reboot as well? or physically reboot by turning router on and off or from the web GUI?

I'll try tonight when i get home. I'll post back.

kd.

Not very familiar MAC and their OS.

Reboot is a command that once you type it in, the 66u reboots. Then turn off your browser and turn it back on. You should see your N66U start up / configure screen - if your running the Asus firmware or the main Tomato screen with your settings erased.

Thanks for the link to the newest shibby.
I installed AIO last night and quite pleased (first time on tomato), however I require guest network.

Does shibby have a build with this feature ?

Thanks is there a forum thread or link where I can view development and downloads?
I don't sign up to download sites/services.

Thanks for the link to the newest shibby.
I installed AIO last night and quite pleased (first time on tomato), however I require guest network.

Does shibby have a build with this feature ?

MultiSSID was added as of the 90 build.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopenlinksys.info%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1382%26bih%3D812%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php%3Fthread_id%3D11624

Not very familiar MAC and their OS.

Reboot is a command that once you type it in, the 66u reboots. Then turn off your browser and turn it back on. You should see your N66U start up / configure screen - if your running the Asus firmware or the main Tomato screen with your settings erased.

Not sure why I couldn't log into the router through command line/telnet using the user id and password that i've always used to get into the web GUI. I checked and Telnet was enabled.

anyways, using shibby's fw i flashed the router with stock fw 112 and cleared NVRAM. the router is back up and running again...WHOO HOO!!! :)

although it's working so far but a bit disappointed with the stock fw due to its few limitations, unless I don't know how to do it.....(1) I wished I can name my devices instead of just by MAC address, (2) on top of DHCP, some how manually assign certain IP addresses for some current devices. I tried but when I view the devices, they still show the IP addresses assigned by DHCP. not the ones i manually assigned...

kd

Not sure why I couldn't log into the router through command line/telnet using the user id and password that i've always used to get into the web GUI. I checked and Telnet was enabled.

anyways, using shibby's fw i flashed the router with stock fw 112 and cleared NVRAM. the router is back up and running again...WHOO HOO!!! :)

although it's working so far but a bit disappointed with the stock fw due to its few limitations, unless I don't know how to do it.....(1) I wished I can name my devices instead of just by MAC address, (2) on top of DHCP, some how manually assign certain IP addresses for some current devices. I tried but when I view the devices, they still show the IP addresses assigned by DHCP. not the ones i manually assigned...

kd

Yeah, I think that since there's a valid lease time for the IP assigned by dhcp for the device in the Asus firmware, you need to get the router to regenerate the IP address. Then it notices that the device is supposed to have a static IP. I think that it worked for me to power cycle the device, so that it goes away for a little while. I don't remember if I also had to power cycle the router at the same time as well.

At any rate, static addresses do work in the Asus firmware, it just takes a little jiggling to get the router to make the change.

Yeah, I think that since there's a valid lease time for the IP assigned by dhcp for the device in the Asus firmware, you need to get the router to regenerate the IP address. Then it notices that the device is supposed to have a static IP. I think that it worked for me to power cycle the device, so that it goes away for a little while. I don't remember if I also had to power cycle the router at the same time as well.

At any rate, static addresses do work in the Asus firmware, it just takes a little jiggling to get the router to make the change.

another thing asus stock firmware sucks too is that it doesn't have no-ip DDNS service. They have their own ddns service which i heard is non-existence and the rest are paid ddns services. I have a free one with no-ip but i can't add into the list.....dang! I may have to flash with shibby's latest fw.....but then i read one of the threads a few pages back that shibby's fw gives a lower wireless signal....is that true? perhaps toastman is better...???

kd

Last edited:
another thing asus stock firmware sucks too is that it doesn't have no-ip DDNS service. They have their own ddns service which i heard is non-existence and the rest are paid ddns services. I have a free one with no-ip but i can't add into the list.....dang! I may have to flash with shibby's latest fw.....but then i read one of the threads a few pages back that shibby's fw gives a lower wireless signal....is that true? perhaps toastman is better...???

kd

All 3rd party fw builds give lower wifi performance right now compared to stock. You can check this thread http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7047 for a custom firmware based on the stock Asus sources which gives good wifi performance and adds missing features.

Jumbo Frames

I have a jumbo frames question.

I have an intel nic in one machine 9014 bytes
Realtek nic in another 9kB
Synology Nas MTU 9000

I have set my jumbo frames in the router to maximum 9720.

Is this correct ? or too high ??