What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.260.21 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks found the option now but shouldn't that settings page be available without connecting a usbdrive to the router
and by the way i can't connect to http://www.asusnetwork.net/Advanced_AiDisk_others.asp even if i try with a proxy

The SMB service doesn't run without a USB disk as far as I remember.

That hostname won't work through a proxy, it's a static hostname built-in the router's DNS server that will redirect you to your router (provided your computer uses your router's IP as its DNS). You can of course simply replace it with the router's IP if you know it.

The SMB service doesn't run without a USB disk as far as I remember.

That hostname won't work through a proxy, it's a static hostname built-in the router's DNS server that will redirect you to your router (provided your computer uses your router's IP as its DNS). You can of course simply replace it with the router's IP if you know it.

ok but shouldn't the "miscellaneous settings page" be available without a drive so one can change the master browser, wins and router name options or do they only work if there is a drive connected to the router.
and figured out why asusnetwork.net dodsn't work i have changed the routers login page to only accept https connections

ok but shouldn't the "miscellaneous settings page" be available without a drive so one can change the master browser, wins and router name options.
and figured out why asusnetwork.net dodsn't work i have changed the routers login page to only accept https connections

Browser services are provided by Samba. Asuswrt does not run Samba if you don't have a USB disk plugged in, therefore it wouldn't be able to function as a master browser.

What is this nmbd log message trying to tell me?

Since applying the new build I am seeing a lot of these messages in the log:

Dec 3 09:05:54 nmbd[686]: [2012/12/03 09:05:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_nmb_request(1497)
Dec 3 09:05:54 nmbd[686]: process_nmb_request: Multihomed registration request must be directed at a WINS server.

What does this mean and should I be concerned? Is there something that can be done to fix it? Thanks.
--
bc

Dec 3 09:05:54 nmbd[686]: [2012/12/03 09:05:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_nmb_request(1497)
Dec 3 09:05:54 nmbd[686]: process_nmb_request: Multihomed registration request must be directed at a WINS server.

What does this mean and should I be concerned? Is there something that can be done to fix it? Thanks.
--
bc

This is probably because you enabled the option to have the router act as a WINS server.

--
bc

I've seen this message also using the 246.19b build.
So not specific for the latest build.

EDIT: I just redownloaded and reflashed my router again to be 200% sure there wasn't a problem with the zipped version, and everything went fine.

Maybe it's an idea to put the MD5 hash on your website to verify download.
However if the zip unpacks fine, it should be fine I guess.

Maybe it's an idea to put the MD5 hash on your website to verify download.
However if the zip unpacks fine, it should be fine I guess.

Yeah, that's the reason why in the end I decided not to bother with an MD5 signature - the zip already carries some CRC.

Well of course, but more to the point, do you have any idea what the message means, exactly?
--
bc

I can't find any detailed information on this notice. I think it's related to the fact that Samba binds to all interfaces on the router rather than just the LAN (that's the multihomed part). You can probably just ignore that.

I can't find any detailed information on this notice. I think it's related to the fact that Samba binds to all interfaces on the router rather than just the LAN (that's the multihomed part). You can probably just ignore that.
Makes sense. Its probably this line in smb.conf:

interfaces = lo br0 eth0

Perhaps it should just be

interfaces=eth0
--
bc

Makes sense. Its probably this line in smb.conf:

interfaces = lo br0 eth0

Perhaps it should just be

interfaces=eth0
--
bc

No. eth0 is the WAN interface, so if you wanted to just serve the LAN, it should be br0 instead.

I haven't changed this because I'm not 100% sure of the potential impact it might have on other features such as AiCloud.

Local Master Browser prevents my Internet Access:

Hi there,
After activating the Local Master Browser option on Rt-N66U via "USB Application - Miscellaneous setting" my notebook got a strange IP and wasn't able to access the Internet: Neither mail nor any browser worked.

I disabled that option and everything is O.K.

P.S.: My RT-N66U is running in AP Mode...

Local Master Browser prevents my Internet Access:

Hi there,
After activating the Local Master Browser option on Rt-N66U via "USB Application - Miscellaneous setting" my notebook got a strange IP and wasn't able to access the Internet: Neither mail nor any browser worked.

I disabled that option and everything is O.K.

P.S.: My RT-N66U is running in AP Mode...

I don't think the Samba service gets even started while in AP mode (tho I could be wrong), so the Master Browser option would actually have no effect at all. It's possible that clicking on Apply on that page restarted a few services that aren't meant to be running while in AP mode however, a simple reboot of the router should have cleared the issue.

..., a simple reboot of the router should have cleared the issue.

_Sorry, reboot did`t solve that issue. Now I'm running the Rt-N66U in AP mode and as a WINS Server but not as THE local master browser and I'm quite happy.

_Sorry, reboot did`t solve that issue. Now I'm running the Rt-N66U in AP mode and as a WINS Server but not as THE local master browser and I'm quite happy.

Check through telnet/ssh if smbd is running. I thought Asus only launched it while in Router mode, but I could be wrong.

Good evening RMerlin,

PS provides the following excerpt:

946 admin 2388 S nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
947 admin 2336 S nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
948 admin 3224 S N smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf

... and the syslog that:

Jan 1 01:00:20 Samba Server: daemon is started
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: [2011/01/01 01:01:37, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(392)
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: Samba name server RT-N66U is now a local master browser for workgroup XYZ on subnet 192.168.1.19
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: [2011/01/01 01:01:37, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name XYZ<1b> for the workgroup XYZ.
Jan 1 01:01:37 nmbd[946]: Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

The last entries / lines

nmbd/... fail(351) ... Unable to sync browse lists...

are repeated constantly.

Can I ignore that?

Last edited:
Quite frankly, I have no clue. Samba has always been filled with cryptic warnings filling up logs. I simply never worried about Samba logging - if it works, then everything is fine.

I'm not sure if I should RMA my router or not, I've flashed to this version today as I have been having problems where my PC Internet connection is fine but wifi on iPads and iPhones is constantly disconnecting. I have reset the NVRam and left the router off for a few hours and haven't had a disconnect yet. This is the third spell of this behaviour the router has had since I bought it in October.

I have 2.4 ghz set to 20mh only with the interference setting off and the power left at 80mw. I have 5ghz set to 40mhz only and N, I have had problems where my Apple TV won't connect to 5ghz for some reason also. Am I encountering router bugs surely if this was faulty it would just stop working. The problem with the wifi can happen between firmwares and reboots when it occurs I just don't get it.

Also browsing on wifi will crawl when this happens or time out altogether

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!