What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.264.22 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin

I am encountering a weird problem when enabling Traffic Monitor per device on my RT-N66U - I am unable to load any websites with any browser. (cmd) ping also unable to connect.

BitTorrent, JDownloader, download manager etc. works fine though.

DualWAN is now disabled in regular builds, and moved to these separate experimental builds.

My 3G USB connection was working fine with previous builds. Do I understand this right that in order to continue using a USB 3G modem I would now need to install an experimental build?

I understand that the tab called "DualWAN" is now gone from the web interface of a regular build and that was the only place to say that I should be using a USB connection as primary.

Btw, this "DualWAN" name has always been confusing to me. Maybe I am wrong but I read "DualWAN" as a primary-backup concept where if the primary connection fails, the router would switch to a backup connection (such as USB 3G modem). In my case I only need USB connection and no failover, i.e. no "DualWAN". So I thought it would be logical to expect to still be able to use 3G USB modem with a regular build but if the settings page is gone, then how should one configure a USB modem?

Thanks for replying, I hope you are better.

And on the topic:
I mean the amount of text I can enter, the visual size is good as it is.
The Background:
I'm trying to separate netflix and hulu traffic that should go through my vpn from the 'normal' traffic that should go through my local ISP. At the moment I have to juggle around which adresses are used most and sometimes I get the warning that netflix isn't locally available when it wants to get content from a range that I couldn't enter.

Ok, I'll have a look. Note that there is still a maximum size I can give to that field before overflowing the buffer allocated by the web server for passing arguments, but I should still have somme wiggle room for that page.

Starting to feel better, thanks. Got back to work yesterday, onward to a NAS installation at a customer's office in about 10 mins.

Hi Merlin

I am encountering a weird problem when enabling Traffic Monitor per device on my RT-N66U - I am unable to load any websites with any browser. (cmd) ping also unable to connect.

BitTorrent, JDownloader, download manager etc. works fine though.

Make sure you don't have any custom firewall rules applied through a script that would disrupt iptables.

Enabling traffic monitoring merely insert one single rule into the FORWARD table.

My 3G USB connection was working fine with previous builds. Do I understand this right that in order to continue using a USB 3G modem I would now need to install an experimental build?

I understand that the tab called "DualWAN" is now gone from the web interface of a regular build and that was the only place to say that I should be using a USB connection as primary.

Btw, this "DualWAN" name has always been confusing to me. Maybe I am wrong but I read "DualWAN" as a primary-backup concept where if the primary connection fails, the router would switch to a backup connection (such as USB 3G modem). In my case I only need USB connection and no failover, i.e. no "DualWAN". So I thought it would be logical to expect to still be able to use 3G USB modem with a regular build but if the settings page is gone, then how should one configure a USB modem?

DualWAN is the appropriate name for that feature. It allows you to have two totally independent WAN interfaces, that can be configured either in failover or load balancing mode, with both interfaces being any of the supported types (WAN, LAN or USB).

The regular 3G support is configurable from the USB Application page.

Drop down on the traffic monitor page is not working correctly for me after setting new individual IP feature - see pic. If clicked, I just get a thin vertical strip. Is this an IE issue?

BK

52f9lj.jpg

I'm having this issue as well. I know its a specific issue with IE and other browsers work fine but i still would like to know whether you are gonna try to fix it

Where is the option / I see no option for individual IP , Merlin build 22

I'm having this issue as well. I know its a specific issue with IE and other browsers work fine but i still would like to know whether you are gonna try to fix it

I'm still catching up from the flu and the end-of-year load at work, so I simply haven't had time yet to even look at this.

Where is the option / I see no option for individual IP , Merlin build 22

Read the included README - everything is documented there.

First of all, thank you to Merlin for such a great FREE solution + all these updates. I truly loved his approach of taking stock build and improving upon it while keeping the same interface - major kudos to you! I'm new to this arena and I spent 5~6 days trying to get my router + ATT Uverse setup working until yesterday when I downloaded Merlin's build! Your documentation is VERY simple/straight-forward to follow (README file), which is where I first found out how to put custom script on the router for configured NAT rules. THANK YOU!

I do have one issue, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so please forgive me:

I have a block of 5 static IP addresses, I put the following "nat-start" script in "/jffs/scripts/" folder and it seems to be accepted by Merlin build...

#!/bin/sh

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 99.xxx.xxx.106 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.20
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.2.20 -j SNAT --to 99.xxx.xxx.106

(I'm trying to implement 1:1 NAT so that four of my static WAN IP get mapped to four LAP IP within my local network (192.168.2.xxx). Above just shows one of the address which I'm starting with, my ip block is 99.xxx.xxx.104~110 with usable range 105~109). My ATT Uverse router is in "IP-Passthrough" so that all traffic to/from internet goes to RT-N66U which is in router-behind-router (?) config:

Internet <--> ATT Uverse router (IP-passthrough) <--> RT-N66U <--> My LAN

I just can't get my computer to have one of the above static IP unless if I put 99.xxx.xxx.105 as static IP of the router and then ALL five of my computers get the same WAN IP (checked through Whatsmyip). I hope that I gave enough information above, would anyone be able to help me with pointing out what I am doing wrong? The NAT rules seem to be in router (I checked through "iptables -t nat -L" by typing that in Merlin's Tools->Run Cmd). I also telnet into the router and ran that command to make sure that router had that after a reboot. Could someone please point in the right direction? I've spent so much time and losing patience, I'm not an expert on routers/etc - in fact I just now found out that perhaps I could get a business-router and that would simplify my life? Is RT-N66U router salvageable for my above need? I can't return it since I've had it for over a month.

Sorry for the looooong post, thank you so much for any help!!

I'm not an expert on routers/etc - in fact I just now found out that perhaps I could get a business-router and that would simplify my life? Is RT-N66U router salvageable for my above need? I can't return it since I've had it for over a month.

My experience with routed IP blocks is with Linux routers (I route a /30 at work using a Linux machine that runs CentOS + Shorewall), I never tried to route one with a home router unfortunately.

See if you can find any documentation for Tomato - it should be easy to adapt to Asuswrt-Merlin.

btc....

The router is probably more than enough hardware wise for your needs.

Merlin's FW is not intended to move this router in a huge leap from what Asus intended to something way more functional or customizable.

My humble opinion is your application is why third party FW's exist. I encourage you to look at Shibby's or Toastmans. I'm not a ddwrt fan but theirs are quite configurable.

I don't think the problem is the router. Its that what you are trying to do requires a FW with more features.

Merlins has said over and over again his intention is not to duplicate those full featured FW's.

Ahh I see, that's what I didn't realize earlier. Thank you for clarifying.

Seems that a ready-made business router is a much easier option for me rather than spending several more days on TomatoUSB Shibby/Toastman firmware (I did download and flash it on my router in the past few days but I got discouraged with changed interface since I'm not an expert on these things).

In all honesty, I was mislead into thinking that this Asus router was a low-end business router (that's what the saleswoman at Fry's Electronics told me when I bought it), now I found out that many call it a high-end gaming/home router.

I wish that I had good experience with Linux but unfortunately I'm a windows & mac guy, just trying to setup my small business with a simple network (found out that nothing is that simple). If any of you has suggestion for a good equipment, please do let me know (less than $500).

Thanks again Merlin & jsmiddleton...

I skip most releases since I'm not a power user, but I believe it is time to upgrade.

I'm currently using Merlin's 3.0.0.3.178.15

I assume with the holidays and all Merlin's probably quite busy and there won't be any new upgrades on the horizon right?
So, is 3.0.0.4.264.22 the most stable right now or should I upgrade to a previous release?

P.D. The version I have, apparently has 64k NVRAM, so should I be able to keep my settings? or since it's such an old revision would it be avisable for me to start over with those?

P.D.2 I probably won't upgrade again for weeks/months

Last edited:
I skip most releases since I'm not a power user, but I believe it is time to upgrade.

I'm currently using Merlin's 3.0.0.3.178.15

I assume with the holidays and all Merlin's probably quite busy and there won't be any new upgrades on the horizon right?
So, is 3.0.0.4.264.22 the most stable right now or should I upgrade to a previous release?

P.D. The version I have, apparently has 64k NVRAM, so should I be able to keep my settings? or since it's such an old revision would it be avisable for me to start over with those?

I might make a bugfix release during the Holidays if issues arise from the new traffic monitor (I probably won't start analyzing bug reports until sometime this weekend, so I don't know yet if there are any real issues or not). Beside that, won't be another major release until the next GPL release from Asus, which I doubt will occur before next year.

I'd say 264.22 is definitely the most stable release at this point. Any real issue appearing would probably be related to the new traffic monitor.

You can upgrade from 178.15 to 264.22 without losing your settings, correct.

3.0.0.4.264.22 was released a few days ago, it's still in a early stage of testing. A user reported problems with the JFFS partition, which led to a bricked router. So i advise you to upgrade to 260.21, it's the most stable until now.

- lfbb

Great thing about Merlin's firmware was that the whole process of (Download firmware->Read Instructions->Flash RT-N66U->configure JFFS & custom scripts) took me less than one hour from scratch, and completely glitch-free... I'm afraid to take up on time-consuming Shibby/Toastman configurations (which seem to be for more experienced users, I'm entry level) as I also have to spend time setting up Apache+Subversion+Trac+Postgres on a Mac (there goes my X-mas holidays).

Hope you all have a wonderful X-mas break!

By the way, I was very surprised to see that after upgrade to Merlin build from stock ASUS build, all my settings were still there (you know, WiFi/etc)

I wish that I had good experience with Linux but unfortunately I'm a windows & mac guy, just trying to setup my small business with a simple network (found out that nothing is that simple). If any of you has suggestion for a good equipment, please do let me know (less than $500).

Thanks again Merlin & jsmiddleton...

That is unfortunately the truth - that router is purely meant as a high-end home router. That salesman probably saw the price and said "Oh, it's expensive, must be business-class". You shouldn't have any problem obtaining a refund based on the incorrect recommendation the salesman gave.

Have you considered asking your ISP if they recommend any particular entry level SMB router for your particular needs?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!