What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.264.22 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

By the way, I was very surprised to see that after upgrade to Merlin build from stock ASUS build, all my settings were still there (you know, WiFi/etc)

I strive to maintain 100% backward compatibility with Asus's firmware.

3.0.0.4.264.22 was released a few days ago, it's still in a early stage of testing. A user reported problems with the JFFS partition, which led to a bricked router. So i advise you to upgrade to 260.21, it's the most stable until now.

- lfbb

The JFFS code has been unchanged since 178.15.

The JFFS code has been unchanged since 178.15.
That's strange, maybe some incompatibility with the RT-N53 GPL you used for the last build?

- lfbb

P.S: I'd like to try enabling the JFFS partition, but I'm scared of doing it! :)

Last edited:
Great thing about Merlin's firmware was that the whole process of (Download firmware->Read Instructions->Flash RT-N66U->configure JFFS & custom scripts) took me less than one hour from scratch, and completely glitch-free... I'm afraid to take up on time-consuming Shibby/Toastman configurations (which seem to be for more experienced users, I'm entry level) as I also have to spend time setting up Apache+Subversion+Trac+Postgres on a Mac (there goes my X-mas holidays).

Hope you all have a wonderful X-mas break!

Hi BTC.

You certainly can do what you are attempting with Merlins Build. I have a dynamic address and a fixed /29 range routed to me and have no issues.

I have a wan-start script to apply an address from the range (amongst other things) to the wan interface - a nat-start script similar to yours for nat control and a firewall-start script to control what is allowed through.

Without seeing the output from your "iptables -L -t nat" I can only guess what is going wrong, but it appears you are using the "A" - append flag, this will place the rule at the end of the chain.

I use the "I" - insert flag to place at the top of the chain.

There is a default "MASQUERADE" hide statement that you may be placing your nat rules under.

If you want to post here, or PM me I am sure we can sort it!

I have PM'd you some examples!

regards,

Gary

Last edited:
That's strange, maybe some incompatibility with the RT-N53 GPL you used for the last build?

- lfbb

P.S: I'd like to try enabling the JFFS partition, but I'm scared of doing it! :)

The RT-N53 uses the exact same code base as every other router that runs Asuswrt.

The issue was definitely not caused by the firmware.

So, you were willing to mess with your CFE (which can lead to a bricked router by having just a simple power failure or typo during your procedure), but not willing to enable JFFS which has been enabled by hundreds, if not thousands of users? Eh. :)

media scan not working ac66u?

Just updated from stock. My usb hard drives are showing up on the main page , but I can't seem to get the router to rescan the drives. I turn media server off and back on , tried rebooting , and even telneted in to nvram commit after changing to /mnt. I will reboot without the hds connected and try again.

#no go

Last edited:
3.0.0.4.266 for RT-AC66U is out. :D

Fixed:
1. Improve the wireless connection stability.
2. Fixed some UPnP compatibility issue.

Just updated from stock. My usb hard drives are showing up on the main page , but I can't seem to get the router to rescan the drives. I turn media server off and back on , tried rebooting , and even telneted in to nvram commit after changing to /mnt. I will reboot without the hds connected and try again.

#no go

See if there's a directory named "minidlna" on your hard disk. If there is, remove it, then restart the Media Server. That will force it to regenerate its index.

246.22 kills Internet Access

Hi,
I have an AC66U running Merlin 260.21 without any issues and pretty standard settings. When I upgraded to 264.22 the router comes back without any issue but all I have is local only (no internet) access. The router seems to be communicating because I get an update from DNS-O-Matic with the new IP but no computers are able to access the internet.

I upgraded once on my laptop and then reverted on my desktop to .21 and everything went back to normal. I then downloaded .22 on my desktop and flashed from my desktop with the same results. Same results on all wireless devices as well as on my hard wired desktops. Reverting to .21 with no other changes restores internet connections.

I can email the system log on request, only thing I found of interest was:

Dec 31 19:00:13 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Rt-ac66u_3.0.0.4_246.20 > 260.22

Just a quick note.
I've had this router a little over a month and started off with RMerlin's 246.20 after hitting the "no firmware" bug when I first received the Router. I didn't have any problem w/ .246.20 except a general, increasing slugishness from the UI. I installed the latest 264.22 f/w a couple of days ago which definitely bumped up the response of the UI. But just this morning, I discovered that, although I had not lost connectivity (Internet, LAN), attempts to access the Router UI were timing out and my two USB drives were unreachable (an overnight backup operation had failed). I had to power cycle to access the router and the USB drives. I had also lost USB HD connectivity after trying out the 'spin down' feature (setting it at 900) so I had gone back to a 0 setting.

I'm not using any scripts, monitoring traffic, or venturing into any other customizations right now so I decided to try the new ASUS f/w .266 version which initially seems to be quite peppy and seems to offer a little stronger 5ghz connection to my laptop - I'll see if there's a bit more stability here (and wait for a RMerlin version ?).

Essentially, I'm just trying to say that 264.22 didn't seem to be as stable for me as 246.20 - FWIW.

You guys won't believe it - now that I was successful in loading Merlin build, I got a little more brave... After hearing you and jsmiddleton suggesting Shibby build for setting up multiple-IP, I downloaded Shibby AIO-64k build firmware for my RT-N66U. I also saw in their tutorial in how to setup multiple static IP - WHOAAA - in less than 10 minutes my RT-N66U was up and running with my block of static IP from AT&T Uverse (I don't recommend that AT&T service but currently I have no other choice in my area, it drops a lot).

Merlin - it was extremely simple so perhaps even your build could do it? (just an idea)... All I had to do was:

1. Download/install Shibby's TomatoUSB firmware ending with AIO-64k for RT-N66U
2. Setup my AT&T router for "IP-PASSTHROUGH", and connect RT-N66U router in Router-behind-router config (Internet <--> ATT Router <--> RT-N66U router <--> LAN)
3. Enable JFFS (it goes through formatting JFFS partition)
4. Then in Shibby build, I had to go to Administration->Scripts->Firewall and enter the following lines for each of my static IP (seems that it automatically builds the script file for you):

/usr/sbin/ip addr add 99.XXX.XXX.105/30 dev vlan1
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 99.XXX.XXX.105 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.20
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -p all -s 192.168.2.20 -j SNAT --to 99.XXX.XXX.105

Where 99.XXX.XXX.105 = one of the static IP addressese from the block of 5 static IP assigned by AT&T, and 192.168.2.20 = LAN IP of my computer to which I wanted the traffic routed. I then repeated above three lines for three more static IP's and left one free (assigned to RT-N66U router so that all other computers can go through that)

After a reboot, it worked like a charm! I haven't tried adding such custom script to your build under /jffs/scripts/nat-start but perhaps someone who wants to experiment could try to see if that would work!

Anyway guys, I'm very happy that I can use my RT-N66U router for multiple static IP from AT&T. Hope this helps others who are looking for a solution too! Thanks to you all for such amazing one-on-one support. :)

Last edited:
RT-AC66U build 264.22 NEW: Option to enable/disable logging DHCP client queries (LAN

Eric

When I select the Lan vertical tab, the router does not display any pages, it just hands up. Eventually I can access the home page by typing in the URL of the router.

You guys won't believe it - now that I was successful in loading Merlin build, I got a little more brave... After hearing you and jsmiddleton suggesting Shibby build for setting up multiple-IP, I downloaded Shibby AIO-64k build firmware for my RT-N66U. I also saw in their tutorial in how to setup multiple static IP - WHOAAA - in less than 10 minutes my RT-N66U was up and running with my block of static IP from AT&T Uverse (I don't recommend that AT&T service but currently I have no other choice in my area, it drops a lot).

Merlin - it was extremely simple so perhaps even your build could do it? (just an idea)... All I had to do was:

1. Download/install Shibby's TomatoUSB firmware ending with AIO-64k for RT-N66U
2. Setup my AT&T router for "IP-PASSTHROUGH", and connect RT-N66U router in Router-behind-router config (Internet <--> ATT Router <--> RT-N66U router <--> LAN)
3. Enable JFFS (it goes through formatting JFFS partition)
4. Then in Shibby build, I had to go to Administration->Scripts->Firewall and enter the following lines for each of my static IP (seems that it automatically builds the script file for you):

/usr/sbin/ip addr add 99.XXX.XXX.105/30 dev vlan1
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 99.XXX.XXX.105 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.20
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -p all -s 192.168.2.20 -j SNAT --to 99.XXX.XXX.105

Where 99.XXX.XXX.105 = one of the static IP addressese from the block of 5 static IP assigned by AT&T, and 192.168.2.20 = LAN IP of my computer to which I wanted the traffic routed. I then repeated above three lines for three more static IP's and left one free (assigned to RT-N66U router so that all other computers can go through that)

After a reboot, it worked like a charm! I haven't tried adding such custom script to your build under /jffs/scripts/nat-start but perhaps someone who wants to experiment could try to see if that would work!

Anyway guys, I'm very happy that I can use my RT-N66U router for multiple static IP from AT&T. Hope this helps others who are looking for a solution too! Thanks to you all for such amazing one-on-one support. :)

You are using "I"nsert in your shibby examples whereas you were using "A"ppend when you tried in your Merlin examples. This alone would have made it not work if the nats were placed under the default Masquarade rule.

It certainly can be done on the Merlin build with similar scripts - I PM'd you examples of how to :)

Thank you, Gary... also for the examples you sent me, that really helps too!!

I'm a newbie to this, slowly learning (just trying to setup the network) so any help is tremendous! :)

Quite frankly I just copied some code from Shibby's tutorial and replaced IP numbers with what I have and it seems to work (except that last night I found out that I can't connect to my computers from outside even though from the computer if I visit Whatsmyip.org, it gives right IP address. I'll try out your examples over the weekend and see if that sets me up correctly - I'm very hopeful!

Thank you again!! :)

My firewall is disabled.

Try re-enabling the firewall then. Traffic monitoring relies on iptables to do its accounting.

There is no real reason to disable the firewall on this router if you are actually using it as a router.

No ebtables for me.

Some feedback from a RT-N16 user and 3.0.0.4.264.22.
I upgraded the FW and went to input my ebtable filter and the router responded back with the following:
The kernel doesn't support a certain ebtables extension, consider recompiling your kernel or insmod the extension.

I have since downgraded to 260.21 with no issue.

Regards

Some feedback from a RT-N16 user and 3.0.0.4.264.22.
I upgraded the FW and went to input my ebtable filter and the router responded back with the following:
The kernel doesn't support a certain ebtables extension, consider recompiling your kernel or insmod the extension.

I have since downgraded to 260.21 with no issue.

Regards

Which module were you trying to use?

I downloaded and used the RT-N16_3.0.0.4_264.22.zip from mediafire links that were provided in the first post of this thread.

Regards

I mean which Netfilter module returned the error message? Maybe you just needed to modprobe or insmod it first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!