What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow.. your new firmware flies. I could barely hit 200mbps previously. Did a factory reset (due to VPN configs not showing anymore) and reconfigured everything.

3125809116.png

Wow.. your new firmware flies. I could barely hit 200mbps previously. Did a factory reset (due to VPN configs not showing anymore) and reconfigured everything.

3125809116.png

What router model are you using?

With HW acceleration enabled, all of them can hit over 700-800 Mbps (I personally hit over 900 Mbps when I ran an iperf benchmark between LAN and WAN on my RT-AC68U).

What router model are you using?

With HW acceleration enabled, all of them can hit over 700-800 Mbps (I personally hit over 900 Mbps when I ran an iperf benchmark between LAN and WAN on my RT-AC68U).

RT-AC66U, mine is a 300mbps FTTH connection, so this should be as good as it gets. With iperf, I got about 750mbps when I placed another PC on the WAN port.

Maybe my 34_2 config was messed up, because even with HW acceleration enabled, I could not get past 500mbps which I am getting 750mbps now. All the same services are enabled. Not sure if it has anything to do with QOS, I have configured it before but turned it off and HW acceleration came back.

RT-AC66U, mine is a 300mbps FTTH connection, so this should be as good as it gets. With iperf, I got about 750mbps when I placed another PC on the WAN port.

Maybe my 34_2 config was messed up, because even with HW acceleration enabled, I could not get past 500mbps which I am getting 750mbps now. All the same services are enabled. Not sure if it has anything to do with QOS, I have configured it before but turned it off and HW acceleration came back.

QOS would indeed kill your performance with such a fast connection as it's incompatible with HW acceleration. Not sure however why you would go from 500 to 750 Mbps when HW acceleration is enabled. Could have been some legacy settings in nvram that were there since a much older FW version.

I haven't benchmarked the AC66U lately, but I would expect around 150 Mbps when HW acceleration is disabled.

QOS would indeed kill your performance with such a fast connection as it's incompatible with HW acceleration. Not sure however why you would go from 500 to 750 Mbps when HW acceleration is enabled. Could have been some legacy settings in nvram that were there since a much older FW version.

I haven't benchmarked the AC66U lately, but I would expect around 150 Mbps when HW acceleration is disabled.

HW acceleration was _ALSO_ enabled when I was in 34_2, however I could not get more than 500mbps then. Which was why I thought it was because I had previously enabled QOS then disabled it and there were remains of some QOS settings in NVRAM.

Hey I have a AC66U merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 firmware installed how do I go about installing the newest version?

Your firmware is quite old. I would recommend that you flash the new firmware, then reset to factory defaults and reconfigure everything manually. Do NOT restore a saved backup of your settings, as it would totally reverse the cleanup done by the factory default reset.

You _might_ be able to have it working decently by just flashing and keeping your existing settings but there's no guarantee.

Your firmware is quite old. I would recommend that you flash the new firmware, then reset to factory defaults and reconfigure everything manually. Do NOT restore a saved backup of your settings, as it would totally reverse the cleanup done by the factory default reset.

You _might_ be able to have it working decently by just flashing and keeping your existing settings but there's no guarantee.

Thanks. I don't have any special settings so I install the new firmware and hold the reset button on the router or do I reset from the web UI?

Thanks. I don't have any special settings so I install the new firmware and hold the reset button on the router or do I reset from the web UI?

Either method would work, so long you do the reset after the router is done upgrading, not before.

Thank you. Last question does it matter if I do it through a wireless connection or wired?

I've frequently flashed over wifi without any problem, so if wired isn't an option for you, go ahead and flash it wirelessly - as long you know your wifi is decently stable.

The one thing I do NOT recommend is flashing over WAN. When I did it, the router would occasionally stop the WAN interface before the download was finished, leading to a failed flash. Nothing that the Firmware Recovery tool couldn't handle however.

Alright, that's enough forum flooding for me for tonight - time to hit the mattress :) So far looks like most issues are related to OpenVPN's webui, some of which I have already addressed. I was kinda expecting a few issues there, considering the major changes that had to be done to that code in the past few weeks. Thanks to those that reported them.

I might push out 374.35_4 sometime next weekend collecting those fixes (and any other that might arise during the week).

Not adviseable to flash over wifi especially if your current firmware is much older due to the fact that you have to do a factory reset.

Last edited:
Currently using 35_2sdk5, once you release 35_4sdk5 can I just re-load my saved config? Or do I have to start from scratch again? :/

Currently using 35_2sdk5, once you release 35_4sdk5 can I just re-load my saved config? Or do I have to start from scratch again? :/

Neither. You just have to flash on top of it, like you did when upgrading from 35_0-sdk5, or from 34_2-sdk5. Factory default reset is only required if flashing from a much older version, or from a different SDK.

Flashed last night my AC56U to 374.35.2 and here are my observations:

- after upgrading the FW (from 34.2), the UI told me to power cycle the router to reboot\
- after power cycle, it seemed to be fine, but nevertheless I cleared NVRAM and re-entered all the settings
- and then I tried to setup VPN... the new UI definitely has some quirks as it took me few attempts to set it up
- once you upload .opn file, there is NO indication in the UI that the file has uploaded correctly
- In short, even though I managed to get VPN to show as connected in the UI, I lost my internet access, and I was not able to restore it. Turning off the VPN helped to restore internet connection.
So OpenVPN client is not working for me... the simplification of UI did not work :(
- WiFi 2.4 GHz - just as bad as before, if not worse. With 34.2 I got to the point that when the laptop is one meter away from the router, it can hold 300Mbps connection. With 35.2, it fluctuates wildly - and this is after I "forgot" the network and re-established connection.

To summarize - with my very limited testing, for AC56U, .34.2 seems much better firmware. The only beef I have with 34.2 - I need to reboot it periodically as the internet seems to slow down over the time (could be crappy VDSL modem)

I've just uploaded 35_2sdk5 from 34_2sdk5 on my rt-n66u and all seems good, especially the wireless, stronger and more reliable. I eventually worked out how the openvpn now works, though it sounds like an update is coming to tidy it up a bit.

The only and very small difference I've noticed is on the network map page and the number of clients that appear. I'm only seeing 8 and there are probably twice that number, family phones, tablets and laptops etc and the refresh icon just sits there spinning and never updates, I've checked from different pc's with different browsers etc and it's always the same, any suggestions?

Big thanks to RMerlin for all the work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!