What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is the MTU size that is being set when jumbo frames are enabled? An older post mentioned 4000 but I am not sure if that is still the case.
You should avoid using jumbo frames unless you are very technically-savvy judging from Merlin's posts in the past concerning jumbo frames. IIRC isn't worth messing with and is best ignored. In order to fully realizing a 5-7% performance gain from jumbo frames every client in your network topology must support it.

Been trying to find what pch means but something todo with precompiled headers for the kernel.

I'll have to try and see if this message also appears when running the official version from Asus. I pretty much took your firmware after using the official for a couple of hours :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It probably does. The first time I saw this message was with early FWs from Asus for my RT-AC56U.

DNS Question

Hey forum and Merlin (sorry about tweet asking for support was in parenting mode with kids = brain farts). I have an issue that is kind of weird to figure out when using wireless on my laptops I have a dns issue (these are two windows 8 and one windows 7) and the problem also occurs on my wired fedora 19 and rarely on my windows 7 box (wired) (whenever I make changes I also flush dns). My provider is ATT DSL, and I have my router and modem in bridge mode (the login credentials are on asus), now I have tried to use the automatic dns and it sometimes comes back with page not found, and I have switched to opendns and it worked great at first and comes back with same error sometimes. My test page is Bank of America for some reason I can't pull it up properly on most of these devices but it comes up fine on my Lumia 2520 using the wifi. Is there something I am missing on my setup I have tried a good bit of troubleshooting and I am coming here for help because the issue is weird. If I can figure this out I can then move to troubleshooting wireless performance on media streaming in home.

Last edited:
RT-AC66U and latest firmware from OP. I can't delete folders on an attached USB drive. I go to "USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk", click on the folder, click the "Delete this folder" icon, confirm the delete and it just says 'Processing ..." with some spinning dots.

I suppose I could delete the folder by removing the drive from the router and using a computer, but would like to do it using the router gui.

What am I doing wrong?

chgrp missing?

Hello, long-time happy user here, thankyou for the excellent work!

A question about shell commands:

I have an RT-N66u with an internal 4GB MicroSD card and running 3.0.0.4.374.35_4, recently a weird thing happen to my 500GB ext3 USB harddisk: Owner and Group somehow changed to '999' on most files. This seems to be a problem on the Samba share as Windows thinks there are special permissions and won't allow file actions such as delete or rename.

I have restored the owner using 'chown' but there is no 'chgrp' command, should I be using a different tool to reset permissions?

I have restored the owner using 'chown' but there is no 'chgrp' command, should I be using a different tool to reset permissions?

On Linux, you change the group with chown too. The format is
chown [user]:[group] file

For example, this would change the owner of foo.txt to Johnny and the group to users:
chown johnny:users foo.txt
Type "chown --help" to get information about the syntax and options.

i've recently upgraded from 3.0.0.4.372.30_3 to 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 and found my wireless strength has dropped noticeably. Devices e.g iphone/ipad/laptop which use to get full bars in rooms now get 1,2 or none. I was wondering if there was a way to sort this. Is this a known issue with the current drivers in the firmware?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asus released today new firmware with version 3.0.0.4.374.454
:D

i've recently upgraded from 3.0.0.4.372.30_3 to 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 and found my wireless strength has dropped noticeably. Devices e.g iphone/ipad/laptop which use to get full bars in rooms now get 1,2 or none. I was wondering if there was a way to sort this. Is this a known issue with the current drivers in the firmware?

If you're using the RT-N66U router, be sure to flash to the "SDK5" version of the same firmware. These are in the "Experimental" sub-folder under "RT-N66U - all models". The "SDK6" versions, the ones at the top level of "RT-N66U -all models" are known to not work as well with the wireless.

If you're using the RT-N66U router, be sure to flash to the "SDK5" version of the same firmware. These are in the "Experimental" sub-folder under "RT-N66U - all models". The "SDK6" versions, the ones at the top level of "RT-N66U -all models" are known to not work as well with the wireless.

Thanks RogerSC

I'll give that a go. Will let you know if that helps.

Hello Merlin. I'm using ur firmware about a one year ago, its great and thank You for this! I have a small problem with new 3.0.0.4.374.35_4.

There is a description of my problem.
When i'm trying to install something via ipkg (through ssh) all goes well and sucsessfuly installing, but here is one small thing that i have noticed. Router downloading packets with sugnificant delay. For example:
Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# ipkg install atop
Installing atop (1.21-1) to /opt/...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/atop_1.21-1_mipsel.ipk
Installing ncurses (5.7-3) to /opt/...
Downloading of this packet takes about one minute while size of this packet just 79kb and my internet connection speed about 30mbit/s. (Servers are also not overloaded. Via my desktop i can download in one second or shorter)

Also such long delay appears when i tryng to use wget (i think ipkg also using this command to download packets). Example:
Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# wget http://example.com/adv.zip -P /tmp/mnt/sda1/
Connecting to http://example.com (*.*.*.*:80) //this string hanging for one minute
Connecting to http://example.com (*.*.*.*:80)
adv.zip               22% |******                         |   133M  0:00:17 ETA

I try to reset router to clear nvram and mannualy setup it again but no luck.
Maybe u can advice me what way i should check to resolve my issue?

Last edited:
I'm trying to preserve some bandwidth via QoS, and am trying to regulate my network in order to ensure a lag free online gaming experience.

I'm running the latest Merlin build (3.0.0.4.374.35_4) on my Asus AC66R

Following a factory reset I enabled QoS. Prior to enabling it my connection test on my PS4 goes through without a hitch - after enabling it I get prompted with:

"Your router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation, and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted. For details, contact the routers manufacturer."

This is only after enabling QoS

It happens every time it tests my NAT Type.

Truthfully I'm a bit confused on how to configure QoS anyhow, but I'd figure I'd dabble out of boredom.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Door

EDIT:

After further research I've found this post (http://community.us.playstation.com...support-IP-fragments-quot/m-p/42393739#M55994)

Seems that this is an issue dating back to the PS3! What in the world would cause QoS to trigger this?

Last edited:
I've noticed some weird bug, need someone with AC66U to check this:

When I add a firewall rule to accept connections from 10.*.*.* (any in 10. subnet) it applies, works like it should BUT when I try to do 'iptables -L INPUT' it hangs while building a table at this string and I need to cancel with ctrl+c

when I delete this rule, every entry shows normally and command doesn't hang

Tried this also on N16 with the same 35_4 and it's ok there

Maybe someone can test this on AC66U..
Thank you

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -I INPUT -s 10.10.1.0/24 -p tcp --dport 1234 -j ACCEPT
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -L INPUT
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

without this rule (after deleting) all shows ok:
Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -D INPUT 1
ACCEPT     tcp  --  bras2-3.donapex.net  anywhere            tcp dpt:1234
ACCEPT     tcp  --  31.128.86.239        anywhere            tcp dpt:1234
ACCEPT     tcp  --  94.154.0.0/16        anywhere            tcp dpt:1234
ACCEPT     tcp  --  109.254.0.0/16       anywhere            tcp dpt:1234
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
ACCEPT     igmp --  anywhere             base-address.mcast.net/4
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             base-address.mcast.net/4 udp dpt:!upnp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             router.asus.com     tcp dpt:www
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             router.asus.com     tcp dpt:8443
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

if this rule isn't first in chain, the table builds until this rule
Code:
ACCEPT     tcp  --  bras2-3.donapex.net  anywhere            tcp dpt:1234
ACCEPT     tcp  --  31.128.86.239        anywhere            tcp dpt:1234
--->here should be 10.*.*.* rule but it hangs

Last edited:
Try "iptables -nvL", I think its the attempt to look-up the name for the local IP address that doesn't work - but don't know why...

Using latest release *.35_4 with SDK 5 driver.

Moniutoring the 2.4GHz signal, it is showing frequent and deep dips in the signal strength. Using inSSIDer on a laptop next to the router - N66U. The laptop is running Win 8.1 x64.

Strangely, when I reboot the same laptop into Win 7 x64 the signal shows as rock steady and level.

Just posting for information.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

DrT

Try "iptables -nvL", I think its the attempt to look-up the name for the local IP address that doesn't work - but don't know why...

Strange but why does it try to lookup the name of subnets even 10.10.0.0/16 etc :confused:

Great as always thanks Merlin.

Surprisingly I found RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 quite buggy, minidlna would not work and sit in idle no matter how many reboots, 5Ghz WiFi would drop intermittently and require a reboot, and internet connection would also take a long time to reconnect. I downgraded back to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_2 and everything seems to work well again, except in OpenVPN Client, when adding certificates in Content modification of Keys & Certificates does not seem to save no matter what. Anyone else have the same issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!