What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.37 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The GPL provides both a linkable version (.o) and a linked version (.ko). I can only retrieve the linked version from their binary release. I'll see if I could force the firmware build to directly use the linked version. That didn't work too well with the MIPS platform, but the build environment is a bit different on ARM, so we'll see.

No luck on this. I will have to see what I can get from Asus, otherwise I will have to scrap this whole 374.37 build and wait a few weeks for the next Asus release.

Kinda frustrating considering I spent more time than usual testing and tweaking this build, but this is beyond my control.

For RT-N66U, do you suggest to go back to 36beta1? I'm not sure how the MIPS based were affected by the wrong GPL drivers in 501 or wasn't it?

For RT-N66U, do you suggest to go back to 36beta1? I'm not sure how the MIPS based were affected by the wrong GPL drivers in 501 or wasn't it?

The driver only affect the AC56 and AC68. The older MIPS devices are still using the wireless driver from 374.720 or 374.979 (I forgot which).

For the N66, the issue so far was limited to the USB problems. Give the oldusb test build a day or two to make sure that nothing else looks wrong, they might be fine.

For the N66, the issue so far was limited to the USB problems. Give the oldusb test build a day or two to make sure that nothing else looks wrong, they might be fine.

So far no issues with my N66U with the oldusb firmware. --bill

Great to see a new firmware. Can't wait for you to post the AC66U version of it

The driver in 454 was broken, so its results are kinda irrelevant even if they were to show a better link rate - some specific manufacturers aren't even able to connect at all to it. So maybe it works better for you, but for some Mediatek device owners it doesn't work at all, which makes it flat out unusable.

Asus had the 501 build available for public beta test for over three weeks so they can gather feedback. The vast majority of the feedback was positive. That's why I'm settling with this particular driver. If you still have issues with this driver, post your feedback on the Asus thread. They're the only ones who can do anything about this. This is outside of my control. Right now, 501 is the best driver overall, so that's what I'm settling with.

Thanks, Merlin. I respect your conclusion on the non-issue (5GHz WiFi specifically) of your .37 firmware.

Anyways, just to share (not expecting anything from your end) :

I re-flashed my RT-AC68U (router mode) to Asus' 501 firmware and the 5GHz performance is back to where the 454 firmware was.

Cheers.

i do not get understand but the upload speed is higher than the download speed when i am doing on the starhub or speedtest.net web site on the 5ghz band.

the link speed is 300mbps on the N .

i am getting 70mbps on download and 150mbps on the upload. direct connection to the ONT ( modem ) is 300mbps on the upload and download.

Kinda of funny issue

Installed .501 on main router ac68u and media bridge ac68 now has a signal level at -51dbm. That's on 2.4ghz and at 20mhz.

Will install .501 on media bridge tomorrow and see how much improvement I get over .371.

Last edited:
There must be something particular about your network setup since it's now working fine for everyone else. Especially if you don't have a single device showing up. Do you have anything in those switches that might be filtering up ARP traffic, for instance? Are you on a regular /24 LAN subnet?

I can't think of a single reason why this could be happening on your setup, sorry.

Merlin you're a genius! So I unplugged the power for my switches one at time this narrowed it down to the switch causing the problem. With that switch shut down, the refresh client status works. I then powered up the switch in question and then proceeded to unplug each connection one at time until it was narrowed down to my windows home server.

Seeing how that I am not so network savvy. Could there be a setting on my server network adaptor that is conflicting with something in your versions of the firmware as I don't have this issue with the stock firmware?

Thanks, Merlin. I respect your conclusion on the non-issue (5GHz WiFi specifically) of your .37 firmware.

Anyways, just to share (not expecting anything from your end) :

I re-flashed my RT-AC68U (router mode) to Asus' 501 firmware and the 5GHz performance is back to where the 454 firmware was.

Cheers.

Don't know if you saw my other post before replying to this one (probably not), but it all makes sense now - Asus did a boo-boo with the GPL release by including an older driver. I recommend you stick to the official 501 FW for now if wireless is an issue for you with this incorrect driver. I sent Asus an Email, hoping I might be able to get the correct driver in the coming days. Might take a while however due to the Holidays.

Merlin you're a genius! So I unplugged the power for my switches one at time this narrowed it down to the switch causing the problem. With that switch shut down, the refresh client status works. I then powered up the switch in question and then proceeded to unplug each connection one at time until it was narrowed down to my windows home server.

Seeing how that I am not so network savvy. Could there be a setting on my server network adaptor that is conflicting with something in your versions of the firmware as I don't have this issue with the stock firmware?

Odd - something must be particular with that computer to cause the issue but I can't think what might be doing it. Since the only two real differences between my networkmap and the original one are 1) the 30 secs delay at start, and 2) hostname lookup, the only thing I could see would be something is particular about the hostname of that computer. Do you have a DHCP reservation with a name associated to it? Anything particular with that name (such as quotes or other non-alphanumeric characters, or being really long)?

That would still not explain why it would work properly if you restart the scan process later on, but that's the only thing I could think of that could explain why it doesn't occur with the original firmware.

dns works better than with official .501, but:

(conected remotly pptp vpn)

C:\Users\xxxx>nslookup
Default Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

> htpc
Server: router.asus.com

Name: htpc
Address: 192.168.1.5

> htpc.xxxx.home

*** router.asus.com can't find htpc.maja.home: Non-existent domain
>

still ignore "RT-AC68U's Domain Name setting" -> set "xxxx.home"
and DNS-name shuld be: Devicename+RT-AC68U's Domain Name setting ? or not?

Last edited:
Don't know if you saw my other post before replying to this one (probably not), but it all makes sense now - Asus did a boo-boo with the GPL release by including an older driver. I recommend you stick to the official 501 FW for now if wireless is an issue for you with this incorrect driver. I sent Asus an Email, hoping I might be able to get the correct driver in the coming days. Might take a while however due to the Holidays.

Thanks for clearing it up, RMerlin.

Strange thing is that my RT-AC56U (Media Bridge mode connected to the RT-AC68U) is still on your .37 firmware and its 5GHz performance is now back to when it was on .454. The only variable here is the firmware on the RT-AC68U Router (.37 --> .501).

Not sure if the problem is specific to the RT-AC68U or to either on Router mode only.

Hopefully the above info may be helpful in your upcoming firmware development :p

PPP adapter XXXX Home VPN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

"missnig" ... not assigned to dhcp clinet trough PPTP vpn server...

Is dns not essential for networking to operate ? :(((

C:\Users\xxxx>ping popcorn
Ping request could not find host popcorn. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\xxxx>nslookup
Default Server: router.asus.com

> popcorn

Name: popcorn
Address: 192.168.1.20

WTF?

If I recall correclly (ping (dns neme) worked before adding hostneme to dhcp list.)

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

for the _37 OLD USB driver for AC66U, does that compile also have the wrong driver as you have pointed out?

asking as that firmware is working great for my AC66U as a media bridge :)

great job once again!

janosek, I think you and AnTiLoop are talking about different drivers...

He's talking about the USB driver and your link is talking about the wireless driver version, correct?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!