What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And yes, I always to a factory reset before loading the new firmware and again after the new firmware has been applied...probable don't need the second reset but it can't hurt...I don't think. ;)

Actually it is the first reset that you do not need. You need to do the factory reset after you flash the new firmware so it uses the new firmware's defaults.

The problem with hardware acceleration off and a fast connection is CPU utilization. At around 300Mb/s the processor is pretty much pinned at 100%. It won't have much time to perform other tasks and or will slow down your throughput.

so sad.. because the ISP may provide 400m/100m very soon which means this router may not able to handle the speed well if I want to see each individual internal IP usage (IPtraffic)...

anyone know any better and faster router can handle that speed with the feature, I like to see the usage of each internal IP.

thanks!

so sad.. because the ISP may provide 400m/100m very soon which means this router may not able to handle the speed well if I want to see each individual internal IP usage (IPtraffic)...

anyone know any better and faster router can handle that speed with the feature, I like to see the usage of each internal IP.

thanks!

Nothing out yet... This dual core in the ac68u and ac56u is the best... Also merlin firmware makes it even better... Stick with asus.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I just wanna clearify a question of mine regarding settings...I know that its highly recommended to flash both before and after flashing a newer/older fw, but it must be alright to export settings for a specific version and use that settings file for exacly that fw?

Consider following scenario:
Before upgrading from lastest SDK5 exporting all settings, upgrading to newer fw. Lets say I wanna downgrade to same SDK5 fw later on, and after a factory reset I upload the old setting file for that specific version. That must be OK?

Say again I wanna upgrade to newer fw (and have a settings file saved for that fw) it must be alright to just upload that instead of putting in all settings manually...

I agree, some of you think this is a retorical question, but just wanna ask you people since I dont have much knowledge of whats going on behind the scenes in the world of routers :)

i can definitely understand people missing this post as this thread has gone on forever lol, but it's a good one;

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=98452&postcount=151

additionally, merlin recommended deleting the wireless profile on the windows clients

sinshiva, just want to mention that I effectively did delete the 'old' wireless profiles as I actually created new ssid's.

Thanks for quoting my post too!

I'm not sure if anyone answered my question about Tx Bursting though - does it only affect 'G' networks or can it enhance 'N' and/or 'AC' networks too?

Still catching up reading the thread here, but thanks for any additional input.

Im all up in QoS now, and have a few questions to people who have good knowledge about this...

Ive red different things about setting up Tomato/DD-WRT but cant fint much about Asus QoS.

1. Do I put actual bandwidth in "global" upload/download speeds, or about 70-85% of that - as according to Tomatos QoS.

2. What class is "undefined" traffic considered? Or do I need to create a rule that says "all ports, tcp/udp" is Lowest?

Answers to these would really help my setiup! Thx.

In my experience, we(company i worked for) had mixed results with power line adapters and coaxial cable adapters. So i didnt want to keep going back to the store and try 10 different pairs in hopes i find the one that works.

I know I'm jumping in a little late, but better late than never?

The Netgear MoCA boxes worked perfectly for me in my old house. (My new house is wired with Ethernet.) The speeds over MoCA were as good as hard wired Ethernet, as far as I could tell.

If your house is wired with coax and you don't have satellite TV, these boxes are a great solution.

Im all up in QoS now, and have a few questions to people who have good knowledge about this...

Ive red different things about setting up Tomato/DD-WRT but cant fint much about Asus QoS.

1. Do I put actual bandwidth in "global" upload/download speeds, or about 70-85% of that - as according to Tomatos QoS.

2. What class is "undefined" traffic considered? Or do I need to create a rule that says "all ports, tcp/udp" is Lowest?

1.) if you intend to use the bandwidth limiters, you are probably safe using exactly what you expect. i've used my actual bandwidth, but somebody else pointed out to me that this limits transfers locally to the router, like if you have a drive attached to the router and have smb defined. i personally have all priorities set to 100% and up/down set to 1000 because i only care about latency.

2.) i think undefined has a similar priority as medium, however there is a big difference between setting torrents to medium and leaving them undefined. torrent traffic destroys qos if you define it. you're best off limiting torrent bandwidth at the client, unfortunately

i have made some lengthy posts on the subject in a recent thread

[edit/] here; http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14735

Last edited:
Testing firmware all the way back to the first firmware release same error config file not found. When you get a chance to look at this would be greatful. Still works perfect on old ac66u router, not working on this ac68u.

Ignore that config file missing error. It's actually an odd bug where pptpd will log that error message right as it begins, for no reason (in fact the code hasn't even started loading the config file at that point, I suspect it's a copy/paste error that Asus introduced at some point).

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/e26234d4629074674c62afd604fbd8f8e286ca40

AC66U OpenVPN Server tab is not showing on VPN page

Merlin

Thank you.. I am running 38.1 on my AC66U and the OpenVPN server page has no tab and cannot be opened.

Tricky Dick:eek:

Thx, I guess I always have that off.
When I switched it on the extra line "Advertise DNS to clients" Yes/No pops up.
Probably make me think, hey is that new?!

I leave it off for now, seems to work for me.

Edit: No it's different, I have "Respond to DNS" Yes but the line "Advertise DNS to clients" didn't show.
Then I switched "Respond to DNS" Yes to No and to Yes again without apply.
Then you see the extra line "Advertise DNS to clients" pop up.
Hmmm...

Edit2: Yes, if you hit Apply the line "Advertise DNS to clients" disappears, that doesn't look OK to me.

Fixed (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/4ec5f4f78aae7eb659a70261c42ef7dbb85a94cb). The display of that option wasn't properly displayed on page load.

Merlin

Thank you.. I am running 38.1 on my AC66U and the OpenVPN server page has no tab and cannot be opened.

Tricky Dick:eek:

All VPN pages load fine for me on my AC66U. Try clearing your browser cache.

Howdy,
I would like to help you out. I see your new here, and I really do not mean to be the forum police, but you would be better off making your own subject post asking questions. This folder is really suppose to be limited to Merlin's asus firmware xxxxx38.1 as working or problems. Welcome to the forums

RT-N66U working fine here with 3.0.0.4.374.38.1
reset - manually reconfigured - 32 clients connected (computers, phones, TV's directv receivers, printers)

1.) if you intend to use the bandwidth limiters, you are probably safe using exactly what you expect. i've used my actual bandwidth, but somebody else pointed out to me that this limits transfers locally to the router, like if you have a drive attached to the router and have smb defined. i personally have all priorities set to 100% and up/down set to 1000 because i only care about latency.

2.) i think undefined has a similar priority as medium, however there is a big difference between setting torrents to medium and leaving them undefined. torrent traffic destroys qos if you define it. you're best off limiting torrent bandwidth at the client, unfortunately

i have made some lengthy posts on the subject in a recent thread

[edit/] here; http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14735

Thanks for the info and link!

Will post there kind of questions in a more relevant forum next time...

Merlin

I tried clearing the cache including a reboot, I still do not see and openvpn server tab.

Tricky Dick

No idea how they could fail to be rendered on your computer. All I can suggest is to do a factory default reset in case some setting might be messed up.

Weird redirection thing

I have Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38_1 running very stable at home. Actually, it´s the only firmware that works good on my asus ac66u--very speedy wireless, descent range, etc--, much better than any current build of open/tomato/dd-wrt)
But a VERY weird thing happens randomly once a day or so: no matter what link or internet address you click or enter in your browser, what browser or computer you use, you get redirected to your router's ip. Every thing related to Port Forwarding is disabled, by the way, but SOME port forwarding DID happened, as shown to me in System Log/Port forwarding tab.:eek: :

Destination Proto. Port range Redirect to Local port Chain
!192.168.2.0 TCP 80 192.168.2.1 18017 PREROUTING

To drop not-vpn traffic when openvpn client is disconnected, i have:

cat /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o eth0 -j DROP

Another thindg is: `nvram get wan_iface` shows NOTHING

Router is behind a DSL modem and have a successful openvpn client runnnig on it

Operation Mode:Wireless router
Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38_1

best regards and thanks for your effort on this really useful firmware

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!