What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dancemonkey, it must have been updated.

Pulled SD card out just to see if somehow that is impacting my not being able to use these newer firmwares and 5ghz/WPA2/iPHONE 5/Broadband dual mode client.

No positive change.

As long as I enable any wireless security a handful of clients can not connect on 5ghz channel. Disable security, connect quickly and at high speed. Back to 732.31 and all clients with WPA2 enabled connect on both 2.4 and 5ghz channels.

I do not understand why, but it is what it is.

I've captured the choices I have for wireless security too. Have more choices with 731.32 so something is different with the code as it relates to wireless security.

With 731.32 have Radius options. Something else. I posted that picture a while back. Here it is again just to have to compare. I know some folks are connecting with no problems to the iPhone 5 and .39 firmware. That's great. I am not able to do so. Something is different between the firmwares. Back to 732.31 for now.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 487
  • aUntitled.png
    aUntitled.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
I just installed this firmware and noticed a really annoying bug...
I had configured everything and I wanted to test the WAN speed without acceleration, so I disabled NAT Acceleration and at the same time disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol(because I don't need it). The router rebooted and everything was gone... It did a complete reset. ...

I ran into the same thing. In my case, I was going thru the UI and turning off things I don't use. I think it happened when I turned off either Dual WAN or the 3G/4G option under USB application. The router reset and I lost everything I had previously entered. It would have been nice to have gotten a warning that this was going to happen.

Regardless, I'm very appreciative of the time and effort RMerlin has put into the AsusWRT-Merlin builds. His work has benefited many, many people.

What would be the best way to monitor how much data a specific device is using on my network?

Pulled SD card out just to see if somehow that is impacting my not being able to use these newer firmwares and 5ghz/WPA2/iPHONE 5/Broadband dual mode client.

No positive change.

As long as I enable any wireless security a handful of clients can not connect on 5ghz channel. Disable security, connect quickly and at high speed. Back to 732.31 and all clients with WPA2 enabled connect on both 2.4 and 5ghz channels.

I do not understand why, but it is what it is.

I've captured the choices I have for wireless security too. Have more choices with 731.32 so something is different with the code as it relates to wireless security.

With 731.32 have Radius options. Something else. I posted that picture a while back. Here it is again just to have to compare. I know some folks are connecting with no problems to the iPhone 5 and .39 firmware. That's great. I am not able to do so. Something is different between the firmwares. Back to 732.31 for now.

Asus are now dynamically updating the list of available authentication methods based on which one are available for your current configuration. Radius/802.1x does not show because your router is having other configuration settings that are not compatible with it. Looking at the code, they don't seem to have Radius/802.1x available unless wireless mode is set to "Legacy" now.

Same with WEP, it will only show up when you have wireless mode set to one that actually supports WEP (WEP is not supported by 802.11n, so it will only appear while in Legacy mode).

This is just to prevent users from having completely incompatible wireless settings configured, and then wondering why their router only works at 54 Mbits when they enable WEP, for example.

Last edited:
What would be the best way to monitor how much data a specific device is using on my network?

Enable IPTraffic under Tools -> Other Settings, make sure you make it create a database, then look for the new menu entries under Traffic Monitor.

I ran into the same thing. In my case, I was going thru the UI and turning off things I don't use. I think it happened when I turned off either Dual WAN or the 3G/4G option under USB application. The router reset and I lost everything I had previously entered. It would have been nice to have gotten a warning that this was going to happen.

I suspect your nvram might have been corrupted. Asus recently implemented code to verify the integrity of stored settings. That code might have gotten triggered.

"Asus are now dynamically updating the list of available authentication"

That's fine and all. But for my router something isn't working with WPA2 and the new firmwares.

I've done everything, tried every setting, cleared nvram, wireless accounts, etc.

When it works perfectly with 731.32 and not with later firmwares, works perfectly with no security as in the wireless drivers are allowing router and clients to talk to each other AND Asus has changed some stuff, well I don't know what else to say other than some dot is not connected in the new firmware.

Whether it is worth the time and effort to track down that dot is of course doubtful....

731.32 works great.

Laptop client with the WPA2 connectivity on 5ghz issue is Broadcom 4322AG with driver from 5/2010. Newest driver I can find.

Plus it connects perfectly on 2.4ghz channel and WPA2. Just 5ghz and WPA2 isn't working.

Iphone 5 is latest IOS. It as well connects perfectly on 2.4ghz and WPA2 using .39. Sees 5ghz, can't connect if WPA2 enabled in the router.

Last edited:
"Asus are now dynamically updating the list of available authentication"

That's fine and all. But for my router something isn't working with WPA2 and the new firmwares.

I was just addressing your mention that some security methods were "missing". They are not missing, they just aren't available in your specific configuration. This has nothing to do with your connectivity issues.

I've done everything, tried every setting, cleared nvram, wireless accounts, etc.

When it works perfectly with 731.32 and not with later firmwares, works perfectly with no security as in the wireless drivers are allowing router and clients to talk to each other AND Asus has changed some stuff, well I don't know what else to say other than some dot is not connected in the new firmware.

Whether it is worth the time and effort to track down that dot is of course doubtful....

731.32 works great.

Laptop client with the WPA2 connectivity on 5ghz issue is Broadcom 4322AG with driver from 5/2010. Newest driver I can find.

Plus it connects perfectly on 2.4ghz channel and WPA2. Just 5ghz and WPA2 isn't working.

Iphone 5 is latest IOS. It as well connects perfectly on 2.4ghz and WPA2 using .39. Sees 5ghz, can't connect if WPA2 enabled in the router.

Are you sure it's not a channel issue, where your router is set to a channel not supported by your devices? Cause otherwise if it was a firmware/driver issues, there would be far more reports about this.

@Merlin any ideas when a 40em build will be coming out and when it does will the ipv6 issue of losing ipv6 every 2 or 3 days be addressed and hopefully fixed. Its getting old having to reboot every time this happens. All builds older then 38 dont have this issue.

RT-N66U

Last edited by a moderator:
" They are not missing, they just aren't available in your specific configuration."

And you missed my point. My point is the code has changed. How it is handled now is different.

Same channels as with 731.32.

I'm done RMerlin. As before too much effort is spent on trying to make this my problem, something about me as an end user not getting something right.

None of that helpful.

Something is different between the code and how WPA2 is being handled between .39 and 731.32.

Thanks for 731.32.

@Merlin any ideas when a 40em build will be coming out and when it does will the ipv6 issue of losing ipv6 every 2 or 3 days be addressed and hopefully fixed. Its getting old having to reboot every time this happens. All builds older then 38 dont have this issue.

RT-N66U

There are no (significant) changes to IPv6 between 38 and what will be 40. I've been attempting to get someone to help me debug this issue, but so far nobody experiencing the issue seems interested.

Last edited:
There are no (significant) changes to IPv6 between 38 and what will be 40. I've been attempting to get someone to help me debug this issue, but nobody seems interested.

The bug is when the ipv6 lease expires the router does not ask for a new one. The system log shows nothing when this happens. I can say this after a reboot all is good then after a day or two the issue repeats. Going back to any firmware older then 38em and the issue is solved. There is no doubt something in the code for v6 is not right with the new builds. I wanted to add other then the v6 issues the 39em firmware is rock solid for me.

Comcast blast 50/10 RT-N66R

Last edited:
There are no (significant) changes to IPv6 between 38 and what will be 40. I've been attempting to get someone to help me debug this issue, but so far nobody experiencing the issue seems interested.

saintdev--the issue happened to me once, and I have turned on the debugging you requested. so far it hasn't happened again though.

Well, on 374.39 my chromecast has been pretty much unusable. Signal to it seems fine but I get many disconnects and stopping / starting of songs when streaming from Google Play Music.

I dropped back down to 374.38 and have had no streaming issues at all. Strange... no idea what about .39 caused the problem but going back to .38 fixed it..

Edit:

I should have mentioned.... This is on a RT-AC56U.

Last edited:
Tried Toastman's newest 0503.6 variant last night and into this morning.

Both troublesome clients connect just fine on 5ghz channel and WPA2 enabled.

Same SSID's, same passwords, same channels as trying with the .39 version.

Asus has done something and whatever that something is does not work for my router in my environment.

Very difficult to connect all the dots I've experienced to "end user issue".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!