What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPv6 has stopped working for me on comcast as well with .41. it seems dhcp6 isn't assigning addressed anymore

And yet there are other Comcast customers who have no issue with IPv6, so it seems to vary from node to node.

At this point I've reached the conclusion that Comcast's IPv6 implementation is simply broken. In the past two years they are the ISP that generated the highest number of issues with Asuswrt and IPv6.

And yet there are other Comcast customers who have no issue with IPv6, so it seems to vary from node to node.

At this point I've reached the conclusion that Comcast's IPv6 implementation is simply broken. In the past two years they are the ISP that generated the highest number of issues with Asuswrt and IPv6.

It seems its not just Asuswrt but Netgear as well.

No issues here yet with comcast Native IPv6. How long has your router been up before you lost your v6 ?

I see my router getting its prefix and wan ips, but the router isnt giving out addresses via ipv6 anymore. both radvd.conf and dhcp6s.conf are populated, but no dhcpv6 on lan side.

EDIT:

after looking at the conf files, I noticed that dhcp6s.conf wasnt being populated correctly with the prefix in the address pool like so:

pool pool1 {
range ::1000 to ::2000;
};

after changing the pool to end at ::4000 and applying it populated it correctly. Perhaps a bug in way it grabs prefix and puts in dhcp6s.conf?

I'm using a special driver for the RT-N66U. If this is the price to pay to get range and throughput similar to what was with the old 2xx branch, then that's something I'm sure most people are willing to live with.

I have no problem with my 2.4GHz issue, other then it gives me less to fiddle with ;). Once I figured what was going on, I can change channel okay.

However, I am stuck with a 5GHz band on channel 36 only. I have tried everything I can to change it but nothing works.

I have several 5GHz enabled devices that cannot see the 5GHz signal and I *need* to change channels to use it.

What was the last release of your firmware without the special driver? Do I need to downgrade to the last SDK 5 build?

Thanks

DrT

Don't forget, Comcast's IPV6 deployment is the largest in the world, so it could just be law of numbers:

http://www.comcast6.net/index.php/8-ipv6-trial-news-and-information/132-comcast-worlds-largest-ipv6-deployment

They also use two different CMTS platforms on the headend, which could be some of the difference.

its pretty much always worked well for me, except for a brief interval around when SDK6 was introduced for the N66U (wasn't the SDK6, but bugs in the Asus ipv6 support that came in at that time and were eventually fixed/went away)

koitsu in DSLreports forum http://www.dslreports.com/profile/659143 figured out many of the issues with Asus/Tomato and Comcast ipv6. Might be a good resource in checking out the Asuswrt issues.

No issues here yet with comcast Native IPv6. How long has your router been up before you lost your v6 ?

None here since updating to the release of .41 about 12 hours ago. On Comcast in the Atlanta area. The neighbor overflow errors are 100% gone.

Only issue was that I lost my v6 address once with beta 2 but got it back immediately upon reboot of the router. Have not seen that happen since.

None here since updating to the release of .41 about 12 hours ago. On Comcast in the Atlanta area. The neighbor overflow errors are 100% gone.

Only issue was that I lost my v6 address once with beta 2 but got it back immediately upon reboot of the router. Have not seen that happen since.

Ok i was having that issue back on my N66 a few firmwares back. I have not had the issues with my 68U as of yet. I am keeping an eye on it, and yes with 41 the overflow issues in the log are 100% gone.

Don't forget, Comcast's IPV6 deployment is the largest in the world, so it could just be law of numbers:

http://www.comcast6.net/index.php/8-ipv6-trial-news-and-information/132-comcast-worlds-largest-ipv6-deployment

They also use two different CMTS platforms on the headend, which could be some of the difference.

It could explain why some customers are getting flooded with neighbour solicitation requests on their LAN, while others aren't. I find it odd however that after at least two months of being aware of the issue Comcast is still saying that they are "investigating". I think they blame the kernel for filling up tables with those requests, while these requests shouldn't even reach the customer's router from what I've read.

koitsu in DSLreports forum http://www.dslreports.com/profile/659143 figured out many of the issues with Asus/Tomato and Comcast ipv6. Might be a good resource in checking out the Asuswrt issues.

Since I have no way of testing anything, this is something I leave in either Asus's or saintdev's hands (he's a Comcast customer who's done a good amount of IPv6-related fixes in Asuswrt in the past few months).

You have any idea how many firmwares got flashed to each of my routers? :p I doubt you have reached any kind of limit, because I would have reached it a long time ago.

To use the Firmware recovery tool, try the following steps:

1) Unplug every Ethernet cables from the router except the one from one single computer
2) Make sure that computer doesn't have Wifi enabled (or it might connect to another router in parallel, which will prevent recovery from working)
3) Start the Firmware Recovery tool. Select the FW you wish to upload (the .trx file), but don't click on upload just yet.
4) Turn off the router you wish to recover.
5) Click on Upload
6) Turn the router on while pressing the Reset button for 5 seconds, then release it

After 5-10 seconds, the upload should begin.
That was the third method I tried , no luck , only lights that come on are power and lan line comp is plugged into . Nothing comes up in browser none of lights flash .

IPv6 has stopped working for me on comcast as well with .41. it seems dhcp6 isn't assigning addressed anymore

Something definitely happened with Comcast ipv6 and 374.41 I've got to reboot my router about 3 times before I finally pull an ipv6 address. Could it possibly be related to the neighbor table overflow patch? Or perhaps there are just issues with the service at the same time the patch was deployed.

Something definitely happened with Comcast ipv6 and 374.41 I've got to reboot my router about 3 times before I finally pull an ipv6 address. Could it possibly be related to the neighbor table overflow patch? Or perhaps there are just issues with the service at the same time the patch was deployed.

Unlikely, but you can still disable it:

Code:
nvram set ipv6_neighsol_drop=0
nvram commit
service restart_firewall

That was the third method I tried , no luck , only lights that come on are power and lan line comp is plugged into . Nothing comes up in browser none of lights flash .

The manual has slightly different instructions that you may want to try...
5.2 Firmware Restoration

Firmware Restoration is used on an ASUS Wireless Router that failed during its firmware upgrading process. It uploads the firmware that you specify. The process takes about three to four minutes.

IMPORTANT: Launch the rescue mode on the router before using the Firmware Restoration utility.
NOTE: This feature is not supported on MAC OS.

To launch the rescue mode and use the Firmware Restoration utility:
  1. Unplug the wireless router from the power source.
  2. Hold the Reset button at the rear panel and simultaneously replug the wireless router into the power source. Release the Reset button when the Power LED at the front panel flashes slowly, which indicates that the wireless router is in the rescue mode.
  3. Set a static IP on your computer and use the following to set up your TCP/IP settings:
    IP address: 192.168.1.x
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
  4. From your computer’s desktop, click Start> All Programs> ASUS Utility RT-AC68U Wireless Router> Firmware Restoration.
  5. Specify a firmware file, then click Upload.
NOTE: This is not a firmware upgrade utility and cannot be used on a working ASUS Wireless Router. Normal firmware upgrades must be done through the web interface.

zombie connections issue

No matter how do I press the refresh button (long or short interval), some connections remains there in the panel, and a day passed, they still 'locked' in there. Even I disconnect the corresponding PC (192.168.10.140), they still show out ! See the pic bellow.

To get rid of them, I have to reboot the router.

zombia-connections.png

Last edited:
My HE tunnel has been up for over 10 hours here, without any issue with it.

It means you have a client on your network that asked to forward a port from an external IP that isn't the one the router is currently using. That might possibly happen in a dual NAT situation I suppose.

I can only do limited tests using the PCP tool provided by miniupnpd, because so far the only ones using PCP are Apple developers. I haven't found a single Windows application that supported PCP.

So, after a bit of digging, I think I figured out why this is happening.

I compiled my own version of your firmware with DEBUG set on all of the miniupnpd files (along with a nasty hack to get LOG_DEBUG messages to display in syslog -- for some reason they wouldn't, even when syslogd was started with '-l 8'). Once everything was running, the router's logs became much more informative:

Code:
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: PCP request received from 192.168.1.224:5353 60bytes
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: PCP MAP: v2 Opcode specific information.
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: MAP nonce:   	70ec7ba6133c3dda59e45bc2
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: MAP protocol:	17
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: MAP int port:	16402
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: MAP ext port:	55709
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: MAP Ext IP:  	::ffff:0.0.0.0
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: PCP: External IP in request didn't match interface IP 
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: Interface IP ::ffff:xx.xxx.xx.xx 
Apr 20 03:32:10 miniupnpd[474]: IP in the PCP request ::ffff:0.0.0.0
(where the x's are my public IPv4 address.)

So it looks like a client on my network is sending a PCP request to the router with all zeros in the IPv4 portion of the external address field (PCP uses IPv6-mapped IPv4 addresses, which is why they start with ::ffff:). Looking at the relevant section of the PCP spec, it appears that this is what a client is supposed to do when it wants to create a mapping but doesn't know or care which external address it gets.

If you look at the miniupnpd source, in the event of this "error", the external address field is simply overwritten with the actual external address of the router, and the request continues normally. So all told, miniupnpd ends up doing the right thing after incorrectly printing an error message.

I'll report this to the miniupnp people if I can find their bugtracker.

Last edited:
If you look at the miniupnpd source, in the event of this "error", the external address field is simply overwritten with the actual external address of the router, and the request continues normally. So all told, miniupnpd ends up doing the right thing after incorrectly printing an error message.

I'll report this to the miniupnp people if I can find their bugtracker.

Gotcha.

Miniupnpd also uses Github, so you can use their issue tracker there.

Merlin,

What was the last version of your firmware that did not use the special wireless driver you are using for the N66U?

Thanks

I believe Merlin started using the special driver for the N66 with version 3.0.0.4.374_39em

IPV6 works well with Centurylink. I have updated the n66u firmware over 40 times since January 2013. .41 seems to be working well if not better than the predecessors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!