What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They should be, altho it won't be optimal in the case of the RT-N66U due to the change in wireless driver. This is one you'll have to try for yourself - you might be ok.

For the time being, yes.

I considered implementing an exception, where I would only hardcode the region if the bootloader was a US one. It's doable but not as trivial as initially expected, so I shelved that plan for the time being. I might reconsider it in the future.

There's also the fact that this part of the code will most likely end up being encrypted in the future, so any workaround there could be short-lived.

It is very clear that people in Europe should move away from Asus (and the likes). If you own one stick to Merlin .43 or lower. I use the ac66 as an AP and I really don’t believe we will be seeing anything better. With 7260 Intel clients I get close to 400 Mb/s down and 340 Mb/s up (on AC). To be safe I ordered today two extra (for 100 pop each). I will freeze them on Merlin .43 and then I am good to go for years.
I have an excellent router (edge router POE) and a cisco switch (sg300 series) and I think I am covered for years to come.

Last edited:
Wait a few seconds, then reload the page. See if that solves it.

The problem is usually that the radio takes a second or two to initialize, which means the webui page gets loaded before the radio is done reconfiguring itself. This happens if you just changed any wifi setting, causing a wifi restart.

Merlin

About my case is it nornal that it`s only getting / showing one channel and not the extended one in the wifi icon? in this case 149/40Mghz?

And is it normal that i can`t select the extended one, just let me leave at auto, from both 2.4 and 5ghz?

And the 2.4 is not showing the extended too at the wifi icon, just one channel like the 5ghz one

Last edited:
Merlin

About my case is it nornal that it`s only getting / showing one channel and not the extended one in the wifi icon?

And is it normal that i can`t select the extended one, just let me leave at auto, from both 2.4 and 5ghz?

And the 2.4 is not showing the extended too at the wifi icon, just one channel like the 5ghz one

Check on the Wireless Log page for details.

Note that starting with this release, the 5 GHz band will display the chanspec rather than displaying the two channels, as this wasn't always accurate. So you will see something like 149/80 MHz, for example.

Also, if your router encounters any interference, it will automatically downgrade to 20 MHz, as required by the 802.11 specifications. This is often the case on the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band, where maintaining 40 MHz channel width is almost impossible.

Auto for the extension channel is the only option available in most modes, as the channel gets selected based on internal lists.

Check on the Wireless Log page for details.

Note that starting with this release, the 5 GHz band will display the chanspec rather than displaying the two channels, as this wasn't always accurate. So you will see something like 149/80 MHz, for example.

Also, if your router encounters any interference, it will automatically downgrade to 20 MHz, as required by the 802.11 specifications. This is often the case on the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band, where maintaining 40 MHz channel width is almost impossible.

Auto for the extension channel is the only option available in most modes, as the channel gets selected based on internal lists.

Thanks, resuming as my english is not so good it`s normal right?

Edit: Here is my WIFI log, is eerything ok? The 5Ghz is isung 2 bands and the 2.4 only one is it?

SSID: "Willy_G"
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -91 dBm Channel: 6
BSSID: D8:50:E6:CF:E0:70 Capability: ESS ShortSlot
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 2.4GHz channel 6 20MHz (0x1006)
Primary channel: 6
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]

Mode : AP Only

Stations (flags: P=Powersave Mode, S=Short GI, T=STBC, A=Associated, U=Authenticated)
----------------------------------------
MAC IP Address Name RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags
F8:7B:8C:21:38:7F 192.168.0.17 -42dBm 117/144 Mbps 00:01:10 S AU
B8:76:3F:78:A7:EB 192.168.0.26 -84dBm 5/130 Mbps 00:01:15 STAU
F8:F1:B6:84:93:54 android-b09ab4a -73dBm 6/1 Mbps 00:01:20 PSTAU
A4:EE:57:BE: D9:B5 192.168.0.49 -39dBm 72/72 Mbps 00:01:23 PS AU

SSID: "Willy_N"
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -92 dBm Channel: 157l
BSSID: D8:50:E6:CF:E0:74 Capability: ESS
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 159 40MHz (0xd89f)
Primary channel: 157
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 32 ]

Mode : AP Only

Stations (flags: P=Powersave Mode, S=Short GI, T=STBC, A=Associated, U=Authenticated)
----------------------------------------
MAC IP Address Name RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags
90:B9:31:07:56:08 192.168.0.11 Willy -40dBm 24/6 Mbps 00:01:33 PS AU

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just one more question i promisse

If i get some device that uses the new AC protocol should i select the 80Mhz channel by myself or leaving at auto/20/40/80 it will detect and put the wifi at 80mghz?

Thanks again man :)

Last edited:
Thanks, resuming as my english is not so good it`s normal right?

Edit: Here is my WIFI log, is eerything ok? The 5Ghz is isung 2 bands and the 2.4 only one is it?

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -91 dBm Channel: 6
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -92 dBm Channel: 157l
And just one more question i promisse

So most likely your 2.4 GHz band downgraded to 20 MHz (which is probably normal).

If i get some device that uses the new AC protocol should i select the 80Mhz channel by myself or leaving at auto/20/40/80 it will detect and put the wifi at 80mghz?

Either Auto or 80 MHz should be fine on the 5 GHz band.

So most likely your 2.4 GHz band downgraded to 20 MHz (which is probably normal).

Either Auto or 80 MHz should be fine on the 5 GHz band.

Thanks but at the log i sent you the 5Ghz is using 2 channels or only one? and the 2.4?

Thanks again

Thanks but at the log i sent you the 5Ghz is using 2 channels or only one? and the 2.4?

Thanks again

2.4 is using 20 MHz (one channel), 5 GHz is using 40 MHz (157+159).

Wifi signal is very low than 374.43 build.I back to this build 374.43 and waiting when asus fix this wifi low signal bug.When asus fix merlin create own firmware.And i try again.

What 5ghz issues are you experiencing ?

5 GHz Using AC68U :<br />
<br />
Wireless Mode N+AC<br />
<br />
Channel bandwidth 80 MHz<br />
<br />
Control Channel 161<br />
<br />
and i m stuck on channel 36 :confused:<br />
<br />
Back to 43-2

sounds like you know a fix for it , plz tell me how

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Wait a few seconds, then reload the page. See if that solves it.

The problem is usually that the radio takes a second or two to initialize, which means the webui page gets loaded before the radio is done reconfiguring itself. This happens if you just changed any wifi setting, causing a wifi restart.

@ Merlin, This is not the case i have found that if you disable the 2.4 Ghz band (I dont use it) then the hovering over the radio icon dont display the 5 Ghz channel only displays UNDEFINED/80MHZ if i enable 2.4 Ghz then all is good so a little bug there. No big deal as going to the wireless log does display the correct information. As far as wireless signal i dont see a difference between this build and 43_2 but still testing this.

@ Merlin, This is not the case i have found that if you disable the 2.4 Ghz band (I dont use it) then the hovering over the radio icon dont display the 5 Ghz channel only displays UNDEFINED/80MHZ if i enable 2.4 Ghz then all is good so a little bug there. No big deal as going to the wireless log does display the correct information. As far as wireless signal i dont see a difference between this build and 43_2 but still testing this.

This may be it. I experience the same thing with 2.4GHz radio disabled.

This may be it. I experience the same thing with 2.4GHz radio disabled.

It is it.. Tested like 5 times same result every time. Just a minor bug i am sure Merlin can work out in the future. If you need the info just go to your wireless log it is all correct there providing your settings are set to Auto and not N+AC thats another issue.

EDIT: I can now confirm that at least on 5 Ghz there is no loss of signal. I just walked with my iPad two houses away on both sides of the street and was able to 100% stream CNN in HD with no issues not bad at all for 5 Ghz also both roku boxes report excellent same as 374.43_2

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on. 40 for months on an AC66.never touched any betas. Can I just do a straight update to. 43 or. 44? I have a very extensive port forwarding settings which I hope not to redo again

I have been on. 40 for months on an AC66.never touched any betas. Can I just do a straight update to. 43 or. 44? I have a very extensive port forwarding settings which I hope not to redo again

Do you really need to update it? If the router is perfect for you right now don't update it as 376.44 causes complication

Do you really need to update it? If the router is perfect for you right now don't update it as 376.44 causes complication

That's debatable and IMO bad advise, staying on older versions is bad security wise and performance wise. The new FW's are pushed out for good reason and your literally missing out on hundreds of fixes by staying on older unsupported versions.

I have a AC68U/AC66U/N56U which all run flawlessly, %90 of the time its the user creating the issues not the owner.

That's debatable and IMO bad advise, staying on older versions is bad security wise and performance wise. The new FW's are pushed out for good reason and your literally missing out on hundreds of fixes by staying on older unsupported versions.

I have a AC68U/AC66U/N56U which all run flawlessly, %90 of the time its the user creating the issues not the owner.

I understand new firmware fixes things and security improvement. Firmware 376.42 and higher should most certainly have a stable security for now and for those who uses ipv6 should try out 376.44 as there has been some major improvement by Asus.

(It's up to you weather you want to upgrade)

Does this firmware have the same problems with the network map as the full version of asus present firmware?
Basically it is empty and never updates??
Router in question is rt-ac66u

Howdy,
Simple fix
turn off everything. router, switches, computers, phones, tablets, TV's,

power on your router, wait a little bit, start powering on all your stuff, wait a little bit(5 minutes) now look at the network map. filled in.

You will need to reset and clear nvram if you do and input everything manually.

Surely, I'm not the only one that's having success with the latest 44 firmware.:)

Thanks for the details. I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!