What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is now available for all supported models. The two biggest changes in this new release is the merge with GPL 376_2044 (which contains the first state of what Asus occasionally refers to as "Asuswrt 2.0"), and the support for the brand new RT-AC87.

Important: The JFFS2 partition layout has changed on the RT-AC56 and RT-AC68. If you have stored any file in this partition, make sure you make a backup of its content before flashing 376.44 (or any newer version)!

Important2: If you ran one of the recent Beta on the RT-N66 or RT-AC66 it is strongly recommended that you do a factory default reset. There was a bug in Asus's code that caused one of the wireless-related nvram setting to be assigned an invalid value. While manually fixing it worked for some, it didn't always. Doing a factory default reset would take care of it.

The highlight of this new release:

• Added full support for the newly released RT-AC87. I'd like to thank Asus for providing me with an advance development sample to allow me to work on implementing support ahead of product launch. Some of the new features Asus added to this router have forced me however to drop support for L7 Filters and IPsec (kernel conflict with the new DPI engine from Asus). The Ethernet Port state on the Sysinfo page will also not be as accurate, as one of the ports isn't on the Broadcom switch, so I can't retrieve the last seen MAC like I could with the Broadcom switch. Otherwise, everything else is there: IPtraffic, Stealth Mode, etc...
  • Merge with Asus 3.0.0.4.376_2044 (from the RT-AC87 GPL release). This first step toward Asuswrt 2.0 includes a new filesystem driver for ARM devices, a new configurable Networkmap, and a new DPI engine used for QoS and traffic control/filtering (AC87U only at this point).
  • ARM-based routers (AC56, AC68, AC87) are now using an HFS+ and NTFS driver developped by Tuxera. This replaces the previous driver developed by Paragon. The Tuxera driver brings improved USB performance and reliability. A benchmark test I did on my RT-AC87 showed a good 10% performance gain from the Tuxera driver - and more improvements are expected in the near future.
  • miniupnpd was updated. This new build should resolve log floods caused by Plex servers amongst other things
  • Asus updated minidlna to the latest 1.1.3 version. On top of this I also applied a fix to resolve streaming issues with Philips smart TVs.
  • Miscellaneous fixes were applied, such as mt-daapd support on MIPS-based routers

As usual, the complete detail can be found in the Changelog.

Changelog is here.
Downloads are here.
More details can be found in the complete changelog.

MD5 checksums:

Code:
5de51b7eaf6e8409ed8da1980089135d  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
e8b5561f4ba2ca644c9d4a030f93fd78  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
e79abd1a37c3c46e991628cf3b94b544  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
c65e1a074cb28ef6f733e066e6494355  RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
fba8d8dfaad36ff843c9b176dfe46182  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx
843188022b77479e4217e259db4e078e  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_0.trx

What's coming next?
Things will have to slow down the next couple of weeks as post-vacation projects for some customers will occupy a lot of my time. Also make sure to read the "project recentering" post I will be making later tonight (I will link it here once it's finalized).

EDIT: Make sure you read this post here for changes in the current development process.

Last edited:
I am guessing this release is same as the beta 3 release? Just consider it stable release now? So I consider, there is no need in upgrading to this release on my 87R from beta 3.

I am guessing this release is same as the beta 3 release? Just consider it stable release now? So I consider, there is no need in upgrading to this release on my 87R from beta 3.
Howdy,
Not to be the forum police, but did you even bother reading the whole post from RMerlin?

downloaded, installed and factory reset 3 x RT-N66U routers without issue, the same for a RT-AC68U and a RT-AC87R. All have been reset and reconfigured from the ground up. All then have been powered off, all computers and such powered off, all routers powered up, systems all powered up connected and working properly.:)

Howdy,
Not to be the forum police, but did you even bother reading the whole post from RMerlin?

downloaded, installed and factory reset 3 x RT-N66U routers without issue, the same for a RT-AC68U and a RT-AC87R. All have been reset and reconfigured from the ground up. All then have been powered off, all computers and such powered off, all routers powered up, systems all powered up connected and working properly.:)

I do plenty of reading, and have followed Merlin for a while now. But if you have notice, he removed change log info for his previous couple beta's. All the change log info for this release, look's the same to me for the AC87R. So knowing the thread is here, I rather ask Merlin first hand. As I always factory default after every firmware upgrade, and reconfigure by hand.

I do plenty of reading, and have followed Merlin for a while now. But if you have notice, he removed change log info for his previous couple beta's. All the change log info for this release, look's the same to me for the AC87R. So knowing the thread is here, I rather ask Merlin first hand. As I always factory default after every firmware upgrade, and reconfigure by hand.

I decided to consolidate all beta changes because otherwise it would have been confusing to people who didn't use the beta, since some changes were reverted in other betas.

I posted a notice on the Beta thread about the changes between Beta 3 and the final release. Upgrading from Beta 3 to final is recommended. While the Smart Sync fixes don't affect the RT-AC87, there's also a Client List fix that I forgot to mention in the Beta thread that got fixed after the Beta 3 release.

Thank you very much for your work Merlin. I followed your advice on assigning frequencies to the 2.4 and 5 bands and so far it looks fine after an hour on this release on the rtn66u.

I guess like everything else, we must move on to the latest and greatest to keep enjoying the best featuritiss in this game.

I think you should explore a way to monetize your work or have Asus hire you.

I sense burnout is setting in.

I also believe Asus has deliberately borked the firmware in advance of the lawsuit from Netgear.

There is a typo in the Parental settings page, I guess from Asus.

Merlin,
I just happen to read your beta thread soon after my last post. But my isp just took my internet down for maintenance, before i could reply to my own post. Currently posting using my phone.

Is there a reason why when I hover over the Wifi icon it says "Channels undefined/80 MHz"? Is there a fix for this?

Is there a reason why when I hover over the Wifi icon it says "Channels undefined/80 MHz"? Is there a fix for this?

Which router model?

Did you do the recommended full reset and manual configuration?

Important2: If you ran one of the recent Beta on the RT-N66 or RT-AC66 it is strongly recommended that you do a factory default reset. There was a bug in Asus's code that caused one of the wireless-related nvram setting to be assigned an invalid value. While manually fixing it worked for some, it didn't always. Doing a factory default reset would take care of it.
I assume when you say recent beta, you were referring to the .44 betas? If we are upgrading from the .43 release, is a factory reset still needed?

THANK YOU!!

I just wanted to say THANKS for your ongoing work on this firmware. I really appreciate all that you are doing.

THANK YOU!!

4TB HDD not working with final

im getting the following when using my 4tb Samsung D3 station on 376.44 final

Code:
ntfsck 3014.5.21
Checking NTFS Superblock ...
Device name        : /dev/sda1
NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size       : 4096 bytes
Current volume size: 4000776192000 bytes (4000777 MB)
Current device size: 4000776192000 bytes (4000777 MB)
Checking for bad sectors ...
Scanning $MFT ...
Current index position exceeds index bitmap size.
Checking directory structure ...
Corrupt directory found, inode=4481 (0x1181)
Repairing corrupt directories started.
  0.00 percent completed
100.00 percent completed
Current index position exceeds index bitmap size.
Repairing corrupt directories completed.
Corrupt directory found, inode=4505 (0x1199)
Repairing corrupt directories started.
  0.00 percent completed
100.00 percent completed
this seems to be endless.
Repairing corrupt directories completed.
Checking for orphaned files ...
  0.00 percent completed
100.00 percent completed
Scanning orphaned files completed.
Checking attributes ...
  0.00 percent completed
100.00 percent completed
Failed to calloc 122094000 bytes: Cannot allocate memory
Checking cluster allocation ...
ERROR(12): Failed to setup allocation bitmap: Cannot allocate memory
Syncing device ...

works fine on 374, rolling back for now. appreciate your hard work though.

5 GHz Using AC68U :

Wireless Mode N+AC

Channel bandwidth 80 MHz

Control Channel 161

and i m stuck on channel 36 :confused:

Back to 43-2

Last edited:
Will the final release fixes wireless range problems for RT-N66U which appeared in Beta 2 and Beta 3?
I found out that signal weakened considerably after i installed Beta 2 and 3 on the same spot.

Will my configuration settings from .43 load up ok onto this?

I want the new firmware but a bit scared as have .43 working perfectly.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it, but I feel the new firmware lust burning at me.

5 GHz Using AC68U :

Wireless Mode N+AC

Channel bandwidth 80 MHz

Control Channel 161

and i m stuck on channel 36 :confused:

Back to 43-2

Potential workaround for those experiencing this problem....go to the Wireless-General tab and just click the 'Apply' button again without changing any of the data. At least for me, this seems to break things free most of the time.

Before upgrading my firmware, is 376.44 the first Merlin build to use Asus' percentage setting instead of mW value for transmit power?

Potential workaround for those experiencing this problem....go to the Wireless-General tab and just click the 'Apply' button again without changing any of the data. At least for me, this seems to break things free most of the time.

can't confirm that , because i m now on 43-2 . I tried to put them back to default values and back to my settings and didn't work

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!