What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This has everything to do with the FCC coming down on Asus because Netgear sued them saying Asus routers were exceeding the power limits allowed by home routers in the USA. Now Asus is scared and changing there firmwares to comply. Effectively destroying the range of a great router.

If i got this wrong please correct me. The same thing is going on with the region and country settings. I dont know why Asus fears the USA FCC they are mostly all bark and very little bite.

The change to the sdk 6 driver from the sdk 5 driver on the rt-n66u seems to have made the most difference in changing the wireless signal on the rt-n66u.

I know from personal experience, not just hear say.

I have always kept my router set to 80mW, the new firmware that does comply with the fcc regulations still allows the user to set their tx power settings as high as 80mW. That is what 100% means on the firmware.

As far as the rt-n66u goes, the great range was destroyed with the update to the broadcom sdk 6 driver. The throughput, however, seems to be around the same. Atleast it is for me, but I only get 6 mbps download and 3 mbps upload speed from my ISP.

Last edited:
Decided to give Merlin Firmware a try again...also decided to do a rest as the GUI was lagging and not loading.

I rest and flashed newest Merlin build fo rmy AC56U....still having the GUI pages loading issue...(maybe it means the router is failing?)

Anyway, where is the option to change the https port from 443....for the AiCloud remote app? I had it set to 444 on stock firmware, as the default conflicts with my Win Sever system remote page.

EDIT: Nevermind...i'm blind...found the page....derp..

Last edited:
Hello,

I had some IPv6 addresses set up via /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add which worked nicely in 374.43. But 376.44 dnsmasq fails to start with error in those particular lines of the resulting dnsmasq.conf. When I removed those entries from the additional config, it works again.

Is it intentional that dnsmasq in this version has no IPv6 support compiled in?

Thanks.

IPv6 support is there:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4 Sat Aug  9 00:12:56 UTC 2014
admin@RT-AC87U-1610:/tmp/home/root# dnsmasq -v
Dnsmasq version 2.72test3  Copyright (c) 2000-2014 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP no-DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack no-ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or 3.

The second bug is in parental control under the DNS Filtering tab. When I click on the Clients Name drop down the client list is all garbled. Device names seem to overlap with the mac address and wrap over lines. I am using the latest version of Chrome. I included a screenshot.

Thanks, fixed.

Not sure if this is a bug or just me - would be grateful if someone could reproduce!

In the DNS filtering section when Comodo is set on an individual host the previously selected DNS filter remains (i.e. selecting Comodo doesn't seem to do anything).

I've tried with the other filter options and only Comodo seems to do this. Has anyone else come across this?

Running 376.44 on an RT-AC68U

Not sure I understand what you mean, I can't create anything unusual when playing with the settings here. Can you provide detailed step by step instructions on how to reproduce your issue?

All I know is with 376.44 I had the same range as my old Netgear WNDR4300. Only going back to 374.43 was my range much better.

Decided to give Merlin Firmware a try again...also decided to do a rest as the GUI was lagging and not loading.

I rest and flashed newest Merlin build fo rmy AC56U....still having the GUI pages loading issue...(maybe it means the router is failing?)

Anyway, where is the option to change the https port from 443....for the AiCloud remote app? I had it set to 444 on stock firmware, as the default conflicts with my Win Sever system remote page.

EDIT: Nevermind...i'm blind...found the page....derp..

Could also be something to do with your pc why the page loads slower sometimes.

From another forum I got told this version undoes region tweaking on cfe boot process?

The latest firmwares, when rebooted, take the country from the CFE boot code and reset any manual tweaks. The last Merlin firmware NOT to do this is 376.43. I have never run the stock firmware so am unsure when this was brought in by Asus.

A couple of reasons I have seen.

Can happen from having the same SSID on both bands.

Can happen from having the same client connect wired and wireless.
You nailed it. :)
Eth2 has my wife's HP laptop connected which has "LAN/WLAN switching" enabled, meaning - the moment wired connect goes down, WiFi turns on and vice versa.

I do have the same name for SSID on both bands but it should be that way - it allows capable hardware to choose best band (less crowded, less noisy, more throughput, etc) available.

Alas after some checking - .44 has lower signal levels. Have to revert to .43
I live in EU, and in my case i am allowed to use 100mW on 2.4GHz band and 200mW on 5GHz band. Seems .44 has default levels set lower. And 100% means ... only ASUS knows how many mWs are 100%

In my country as per EU regulations on 5GHz band indoors you can use only
channels 36,40,44 and 48.
Channels 52,56,60,64 can only be used indoors with DFS/TPC - not sure if my RT-N66U is capable of using that. Probably with 802.11d+h enabled?

Channels from 100 and above are only for outdoor use, excluding channel 132 - used by meteo radar.
You will get your butt kicked by National Radio Regulations comitee if you will use that. First time they just arrive, show the fact to you and politely ask to move away from this channel. If you don't comply then you will get in trouble, but after all - 5GHz band has plenty of channels and meteo radar is useful for everybody and should not be messed with.

When used outdoors you can have Tx power up to 1W on these channels, but then again - they are for outdoor use only.

Last edited:
I'm having an issue with 376.44 not seen with previous versions. When I use VPN I can only connect from client to router, nothing else on the network is reachable. I'm having this issue with a brand new AC68U router (upgraded to 376.44 rmerlin before doing any settings), so not upgraded from previous version.

Edit:
Just tested on an upgraded router (N66U, settings already there before upgrade), that works.
Just tested on an upgraded AC68U, works.

options.pptpd, pptpd.conf and filter_rules files are equal between working and non working AC68U. The only difference I can find is a WINS server to 0.0.0.0 in the not working routers dnsmasq.conf (dhcp-option=lan,44,0.0.0.0).

Edit2:
Found the issue, this VPN (in the client) had the coding on none, the others had auto (128bit or 40bit), it works now. The replaced router was a Buffalo with a VPN coding issue in the firmware, which was why this was the only one that was set to none. Still a bit odd that reaching the router did work.

Last edited:
IPv6 support is there:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4 Sat Aug  9 00:12:56 UTC 2014
admin@RT-AC87U-1610:/tmp/home/root# dnsmasq -v
Dnsmasq version 2.72test3  Copyright (c) 2000-2014 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP no-DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack no-ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or 3.

Hello, Yes the options say IPv6 but they also say no-DHCPv6. This is what was causing problems with my setup. This is due to the option in
Code:
release/src/router/Makefile:1412:      $(if $(RTCONFIG_WIDEDHCP6),-DNO_DHCP6,) \

git blame says this line is from commit 68041088d5b227af2ad5bc047308b9d6e0a617c1

Code:
commit 68041088d5b227af2ad5bc047308b9d6e0a617c1
Author: Eric Sauvageau <rmerl@lostrealm.ca>
Date:   Wed Jul 23 16:27:08 2014 -0400

Merged with GPL 376_1779 (from RT-AC87U)

I removed the offending line and rebuilt the firmware for RT-N66U and it has been working for the last 4 days on my router without any problems with the same configuration as 374.43 previously.

My AC68u router is a SG one, i updated to 376.44 + factory reset. However, i lost some channels on the 5 GHz (2.4 Ghz is fine)
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ccode
size: 41025 bytes (24511 left)
1:ccode=SG
0:ccode=SG
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#  nvram show | grep chlist
size: 41048 bytes (24488 left)
wl0_chlist=1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
wl1_chlist=36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165

Can anybody shed some light why this has happened?

Seems .44 has default levels set lower. And 100% means ... only ASUS knows how many mWs are 100%
All I know is that 100% is not 80 mWs. I bought expensive antennas for this router and I have excellent range with 374.43. The latest firmware turns my Asus RT-N66W range to the WNDR4300 which is why I got rid of that router in the first place crappy range.

My AC68u router is a SG one, i updated to 376.44 + factory reset. However, i lost some channels on the 5 GHz (2.4 Ghz is fine)

What does this give you?
Code:
# nvram show | grep -E 'ccode|country_code|regulation_domain' | sort

Hello, Yes the options say IPv6 but they also say no-DHCPv6. This is what was causing problems with my setup. This is due to the option in
Code:
release/src/router/Makefile:1412:      $(if $(RTCONFIG_WIDEDHCP6),-DNO_DHCP6,) \

git blame says this line is from commit 68041088d5b227af2ad5bc047308b9d6e0a617c1

Code:
commit 68041088d5b227af2ad5bc047308b9d6e0a617c1
Author: Eric Sauvageau <rmerl@lostrealm.ca>
Date:   Wed Jul 23 16:27:08 2014 -0400

Merged with GPL 376_1779 (from RT-AC87U)

I removed the offending line and rebuilt the firmware for RT-N66U and it has been working for the last 4 days on my router without any problems with the same configuration as 374.43 previously.

That will most likely break a lot of other things because Asus doesn't use dnsmasq for DHCPv6 functionalities.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ccode
size: 41025 bytes (24511 left)
1:ccode=SG
0:ccode=SG
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#  nvram show | grep chlist
size: 41048 bytes (24488 left)
wl0_chlist=1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
wl1_chlist=36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165

I don't see any missing channel on that list.

Make sure you have DFS enabled.

What does this give you?
Code:
# nvram show | grep -E 'ccode|country_code|regulation_domain' | sort

It depends on what the poster means by an 'SG one'. Being bought there or properly localised?

If the 5GHz channels have changed, it likely means that the locale was changed in the software before and has reverted to the default in the bootcode.

That will most likely break a lot of other things because Asus doesn't use dnsmasq for DHCPv6 functionalities.

Asus practically doesn't support stateful DHCPv6 anyway and wide-dhcp6s is a nightmare to configure for stateful allocation along with dynamic prefix delegation. In any case, dnsmasq doesn't automatically do DHCPv6 unless it is specifically asked to do so using the configuration file. wide-dhcp6s is still there. I haven't seen any breakage till now and I've been using dnsmasq to do stateful DHCPv6 using your firmware's additional configuration files for almost a year now. The 374.43 firmware had this functionality in dnsmasq along with wide-dhcp6s too.

I just upgraded from .43 to .44 a few hours ago and it's working very well for me so far. No issues as far as the eye can see. Here's how I went about doing it.

1. Factory reset.
2. Upgrade.
3. Factory reset.

After 5 day of uses on AC66U I didn't have a single problem the only problem I have is the wifi signal which is not good enough compare to .43 and .42and my 5Ghz will only work in Auto mode not in N+AC.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!