What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just write ntp at command prompt: this command will give no response nor returns a prompt but leaves you the ability to write on the terminal. I tried to write some random commands, help included, with no help, but, magically, after you exit with a [ctrl]+c you get again the prompt and the system date updates.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that the ntp command leaves the terminal in a dumb mode I'm not confident in adding it to a startup script.

Code:
ntpclient -h time.nrc.ca -s

What type of WAN interface do you have with your ISP?

Could simply be a change in logging.

So far I cannot reproduce the problem here, and it seems to only happen with a very small number of users, so I'll need more info to figure out what might be causing it. There's something particular to your setup (yours and the 1-2 others with the same issue), we need to figure out what's common between you.

my internet is from a local group of people sharing a wifi connection i pay for a 8/8 but with a speedtest i get 60-70/30-40 so way better then local isp as they can only provide 2/0.2 mbit Internet over 100 year old telephone lines.

local group router
wan ?/?
lan 172.0.0.1/24
172.0.0.50 has all ports open to the Internet

my router
wan 172.0.0.50/24
lan 192.168.1.1/24

this setup has worked for 2 years now and its only with 376.48b1 there is a problem

Last edited:
Code:
ntpclient -h time.nrc.ca -s

Hi Merlin,

Sorry I have a bit of an offtopic question but a simple one. Will the ability to overclock the CPU ever return? The reason I ask is I really hammer my device dozens of AC wireless devices and an VMware cluster with 30+ VMs and a few wired devices.

Your firmware is great fairly stable actually but if I can squeeze some more performance out it would be brilliant. Thansk for what you have done to date I actually would never have bought a AC68 unless your firmware existed.

There's something particular to your setup (yours and the 1-2 others with the same issue), we need to figure out what's common between you.

Mine has the wan port connected as 192.168.0.254 to a DSL3700 router that has no problem updating its system date, connected to pool.ntp.org. The AC68U ntp client points to europe.pool.ntp.org, but, even addressing directly the ntp servers or changing them the system date does not update. This could be expected because I use 192.168.0.1 as the primary dns server and 8.8.8.8 as the secondary server. My dyndns client runs on the netgear modem/router.
My linux ntp client points to it.pool.ntp.org and the windows one to the standard windows server. Only the RTAC68U fails. In addition to that I have several dhcp manually assigned ip's and few port triggers and port forwarding rules active.
As told before I run Transmission with a firewall-start script while the swapon command and a couple transmission tweaks are included in the transmission startup script. The 1 GB disk is formatted EXT 4 and the USB case is a model stated by asus as compatible with my motherboard and, I hoped, compatible to the router too, attached to the USB 3 port.
I'm currently overclocked to 1000,800 with the cpu at 78 C, but all the tests I did were done with the clkfreq at 800,533.
Samba and ftp services are enabled, and the router acts as a wins server. All the remaining service, except the dlna server that is disabled, are left unchanged from the standard setup.
I'll try your command and, if it works, I'll use it as a temporary workaround. I'll report you the results of my test.

QOS Page isn't loading right all the time

On my AC87 I am having an issue with the QOS summary page. I am attaching an image but the devices most of the time don't list and the speed gages are mis-reporting. This started happening after I turned on Adaptive QOS. This page should be reporting about 2.5 mbps being downloaded and 22 devices using the network.

Attachments

• QOS Issue in Beta.jpg
    QOS Issue in Beta.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 628
Ok it works putting it in services-start, but I had to add a 30s delay (may work with a shorter delay, but i didn't test).

In any case from command line the command gives a warning. This is the output I get:

admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root# ntpclient -h europe.pool.ntp.org -s
setup_receive:: bind...
setup_transmit:: connect...

send packet OK!
Recvfrom pack_len= 48, incoming= 1500
call udp_handle
UDP_handle: 48
[ntpclient] set time to 1414031165.638863
kill: can't kill pid 668: No such process
admin@RT-AC68U-E578:/tmp/home/root#

The missing process PID varies at each reboot but is in the range 663-669. Unfortunately, as the process is missing, no ps or top command could help me in identifying it.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

Sorry I have a bit of an offtopic question but a simple one. Will the ability to overclock the CPU ever return? The reason I ask is I really hammer my device dozens of AC wireless devices and an VMware cluster with 30+ VMs and a few wired devices.

There was never any change to the ability of overclocking.

On my AC87 I am having an issue with the QOS summary page. I am attaching an image but the devices most of the time don't list and the speed gages are mis-reporting. This started happening after I turned on Adaptive QOS. This page should be reporting about 2.5 mbps being downloaded and 22 devices using the network.

Known issue outside of my control. Asus's recommendation is to disable HW acceleration to improve accuracy. Enabling Apps analysis might also help a bit.

The common thread with the two users with NTP issues so far seem to be that both of you are double NATted. While this shouldn't be a problem it will give me one specific scenario to test.

Can't reproduce the NTP issue either with having my router double natted.

Please post the result from the following commands:

Code:
nvram get link_internet
ps w | grep ntp

Additionaly i can't create new folders on shared(connected) drive

But For my N66W This problem solve in 376.47

Through the webui, or through Windows Explorer?

Tested through the webui, no problem creating a new folder on my ext3 test disk, using Google Chrome. What browser are you using?

Can't reproduce the NTP issue either with having my router double natted.

Please post the result from the following commands:

Code:
nvram get link_internet
ps w | grep ntp

on 376.47
Code:
/$ nvram get link_internet

Code:
/$ ps w | grep ntp
  349 admin     4524 S    ntp

on 376.48b1
Code:
/$ nvram get link_internet

Code:
/$ ps w | grep ntp

if i run this command on 376.48b1 time updates but i get this error in the ssh client
Code:
$ ntpclient -h 0.pool.ntp.org -s
setup_receive:: bind...
setup_transmit:: connect...

send packet OK!
Recvfrom pack_len= 48, incoming= 1500
call udp_handle
UDP_handle: 48
[ntpclient] set time to 1414046508.119421
kill: can't kill pid 464: No such process

if i then run ps w | grep ntp i get
Code:
/$ ps w | grep ntp
  633 admin     1428 S    grep ntp

Last edited:
Through the webui, or through Windows Explorer?

Tested through the webui, no problem creating a new folder on my ext3 test disk, using Google Chrome. What browser are you using?

Through the webui.
I use IE 9for access to WebUI.

Before you marge GPL 376_2769 (from RT-AC87) on my SAMBA\FTP pages i see picture like this
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2229&stc=1&thumb=0&d=1398025464

I can't add folders in WebUI and set permission ( you can see on screenshot )

Now it's working perfect ( i use FW 376.48 beta 2 at this commit point https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/dd8a7972a51a5886bf640486e9b0485bfef02631 )
but for now i have samba working issue :) as you know :)

Last edited:
Known issue outside of my control. Asus's recommendation is to disable HW acceleration to improve accuracy. Enabling Apps analysis might also help a bit.

Hardware acceleration is disabled....I assume there are more bugs in Asus's code that they haven't addressed yet. I will enable Apps analysis to see if the results on the page improve.

There was never any change to the ability of overclocking.

Oh yes I know mate, I just wondered if you had any idea if it would be a feature that would be implemented again? I can overlock via SSH although I am not sure if its genuinely running at those speeds. Obviously with a reboot the overclock goes

The common thread with the two users with NTP issues so far seem to be that both of you are double NATted. While this shouldn't be a problem it will give me one specific scenario to test.

When I tested N66U with this beta a few days ago, I had the same NTP problem. N66U was either in AP mode or it was double natted. Don't remember for sure but I think it was in AP mode. After I noticed it in the log (and elsewhere), I reset to default.....which put it in a double NAT----no change. Same NTP problem.

You can try manually fixing it by using the following commands:

Code:
nvram set wl1_nband=1
nvram set wl0_nband=2
nvram commit
Then try re-accessing that page.

Thanks, that solved the problem. :)

When I have some more time I shall do a factory reset.

When I tested N66U with this beta a few days ago, I had the same NTP problem. N66U was either in AP mode or it was double natted. Don't remember for sure but I think it was in AP mode. After I noticed it in the log (and elsewhere), I reset to default.....which put it in a double NAT----no change. Same NTP problem.

I'm not sure if NTP is supported in AP mode - quite a few features aren't.

Through the webui.
I use IE 9for access to WebUI.

Before you marge GPL 376_2769 (from RT-AC87) on my SAMBA\FTP pages i see picture like this
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2229&stc=1&thumb=0&d=1398025464

I can't add folders in WebUI and set permission ( you can see on screenshot )

Now it's working perfect ( i use FW 376.48 beta 2 at this commit point https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/dd8a7972a51a5886bf640486e9b0485bfef02631 )
but for now i have samba working issue :) as you know :)

Are you saying the webui permission issue is fixed when you run code compiled from the current development code?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!