What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The host does not get updated if the IP didn't change. Most DDNS providers would consider this an abusive update, and eventually blacklist you if you do it too often.

thx...so that means, if my IP is relatively static, i'll still need to update it manually? (in no-ip's case, that's 30 days)?

thx...so that means, if my IP is relatively static, i'll still need to update it manually? (in no-ip's case, that's 30 days)?

I added an option to force an update after a given number of day, check on the DDNS page.

No-IP however has additional requirements - you will still be required to confirm your host every 30 days through the notification Email they send. They implemented that new requirement a few months ago, probably in an attempt to encourage users to switch to their commercial service.

Check the router's system log to see if it gives any additional info.

On your affected clients, try to run a traceroute to an IP to see where the connection gets stuck:

Code:
tracert 8.8.8.8

Make sure the modem and the router are correctly plugged (i.e. modem is in the WAN port of the router, while computers are in the numbered LAN ports).

Hi Merlin and thank you so much for trying to help me with this.

My coments:

1. I've checked my routers syslog and as far as I understand, nothing looks out of ordinary, other than weird time change when I experience these problems. Everything in log gets Dec 31 date, even though time was set properly on my router. When I get my connection back, time sets itself properly. If you want, I can send you this syslog.txt file, you can probably find if something is terribly wrong. Let me know, and I will send it to you.

2. I just did traceroute on my main machine (PC), but I did same thing yesterday when I had this interruption. I can add another txt file so you can see how it looks like, in case you want me to send you my router's log file.

3. Yes, modem and router are properly connected, I haven't even touched any cables other than power cable. Even though I am complete n00b when it comes to router configurations and all this finicky network stuff, I am pretty sure I have no trouble with connecting stuff. Modem is always in WAN port of the ASUS router, and my PC is connected to LAN port of the router. Other clients are connected using Wi-Fi.

Forgot to mention, my modem is D-Link DSL-520B, router and modem combination... but I've followed this tutorial on how to completely disable router function since I did not want it to "fight" with my primary router ASUS RT-AC68U. This is the tutorial I've used:
::: HOW TO DISABLE ROUTER FUNCTION IN DSL-520B :::

Thanks again for all your help, greatly appreciated!

I added an option to force an update after a given number of day, check on the DDNS page.

No-IP however has additional requirements - you will still be required to confirm your host every 30 days through the notification Email they send. They implemented that new requirement a few months ago, probably in an attempt to encourage users to switch to their commercial service.

I have that set at 2 days already. So I'm definitely hitting that new requirement thing now.

thanks.

I have that set at 2 days already. So I'm definitely hitting that new requirement thing now.

2 days might be considered excessive, and lead to termination of your account. I would set that back to 20 or 25 days.

Keep in mind this is just to force an update - the router will still update automaticaly whenever the IP actually changes.

1. I've checked my routers syslog and as far as I understand, nothing looks out of ordinary, other than weird time change when I experience these problems. Everything in log gets Dec 31 date, even though time was set properly on my router.

This is normal, as the router has no battery-backed up clock. At every reboot, the clock will be set back to the default date/time, and will retrieve the correct date over NTP once WAN is reconnected.

2. I just did traceroute on my main machine (PC), but I did same thing yesterday when I had this interruption. I can add another txt file so you can see how it looks like, in case you want me to send you my router's log file.

If traceroute works in both cases, then it means the Internet itself is working.

Forgot to mention, my modem is D-Link DSL-520B, router and modem combination... but I've followed this tutorial on how to completely disable router function since I did not want it to "fight" with my primary router ASUS RT-AC68U. This is the tutorial I've used:
::: HOW TO DISABLE ROUTER FUNCTION IN DSL-520B :::

Make sure the DLink didn't lose its config and revert to a modem+router mode.

Just one question though... in order to be able to connect to modem's config page, I'd need to use 192.168.1.1, and that's my router's address too.

I know I'd have to remove router from this scheme and plug my PC directly into the modem in order to access modem's config page.

Is there any other way so I can connect to my modem without unplugging ASUS router? Guessing the answer is no, but still worth asking.

Thanks!
I have a Motorola combo modem/router (gateway) from Time Warner and I've also shut off the router. I can get to the cable modem login screen locally using 192.168.100.1

Just one question though... in order to be able to connect to modem's config page, I'd need to use 192.168.1.1, and that's my router's address too.

I know I'd have to remove router from this scheme and plug my PC directly into the modem in order to access modem's config page.

Is there any other way so I can connect to my modem without unplugging ASUS router? Guessing the answer is no, but still worth asking.

Thanks!

Modem should be 192.168.100.1, Router should be 192.168.1.1 At least thats how it works here.

Thanks!

I change the router's IP address to 192.168.2.1 in my case. Then do not have a IP address conflict. Can still access my Uverse gateway at 192.168.1.1.
--bill

I received my RT-AC87U today. It's very, very big.
I've quite a few asus routers. Previously I ran oleg firmware on my old rt-n16. With the new models I use your improved asus-wrt firmware:)

Anyway, I do have an issues with 376.48_1 on my rt-ac87u, just like on my other models.

When 6in4 is used the network monitoring graph is not correct. When downloading over ipv4 the down and upload are about the same value. When downloading over ipv6 the download is high and the upload value is low <- what is expected. I tried disabling hardware NAT but that didn't seem to make any difference.

It also seems to confuse the new adaptive qos bandwidth monitoring tool. Not that it really works, every type of traffic is just "general". I'm rather disappointed about this new Asus feature anyway. But that's for Asus to fix:p
The 2 dials don't seem to update with ipv6 enabled as well. When I select a client it updates, and under load it seems to show negative values quite a lot.

Last edited:
Hi Jim and thanks for your answer. This little manual I've got with D-Link modem/router says the default one is 192.168.1.1

If I try 192.168.100.1 I get "This webpage is not available" message.

Sorry SNG maybe i sould have read more carefully I was not aware you had a gateway device.

You need to set a static route under LAN/Route since it's a different subnet.

IP = 192.168.1.1
Netmask = 255.255.255.255
Gateway = 0.0.0.0
Metric = 0
Interface = WAN

I don't know why it's giving a reply from a 205.xxx.xxx.xxx address?:confused:
Is your gateway address a 205 address?
Did you ever edit the windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file?

Try entering on the windows console

ipconfig /flushdns

and try the ping again.

As for the netmask, either would work. 255.255.255.255 just allows the modem address. 255.255.255.0 would allow the entire 192.168.1.x subnet.

No need to apologize.....we just need to solve the mystery:)

So for process of elimination,

Please check on the LAN/DHCP Server tab, and make sure
DNS Server is blank
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS is No
WINS Server is blank

Also, if you haven't tried it already, give the router a reboot (sometimes I've seen the static route need a reboot to take).

Unfortunately... same story :(
Except this time, I experienced those troubles with getting my connection back. Actually inside my router's settings page, it says everything is in perfect order, CONNECTED. Even Windows NETWORKS section said: CONNECTED. And yet, I wasn't able to open any pages in my browser.

I have syslog.txt file with quite few errors I found, but I can't understand them.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I am on a Dry-Loop

From what i can understand you have you modem in full bridge mode,so to acess it via router you need the following:

wan-start script :

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig `nvram get wan0_ifname`:0 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

nat-start script :

#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan0_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

try the above commands via sh and check if you can reach the modem if so add them to jffs.

if you have a vpn client running you need to add the following entry to the

push route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
"Custom configuration" box.

As for internet on but no internet i had that problem before, it was some entries in my host.add file that where no longer valid.

Thanks!

not really a '48 firmware thread question

A few questions

Hey guys, this is my first post on this part of the forum. I've been using AC68U for a week now, running merlin firmware since first boot. I've now set everything up and I'm more than pleased with how the router behaves. But I have 2 small questions, maybe someone here can give me some pointers.

1. If I press the LED on/off button on the back of the routers, the LED's turn off properly but when I press it again all LED's come back up except for the 5Ghz one. I've tried searching the forum for something similar but I couldn't find anything. Only a reboot of the router lights up the 5Ghz LED back up. Does anyone else encounter this?

2. After the initial boot syslog mostly gets filled with DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK entries for the internal LAN. I have also enables JFFS and it is known syslog has a permanent copy there. I per merlin's advice I was thinking of ways I can limit the amount of writes and I was thinking if there is a way to turn off logging for these type of info from dnsmasq-dhcp deamon. Is there a way of turning off this?

Hi faria, and thank you for your generous help, greatly appreciated. The only problem is my knowledge in this area if far behind, so quite difficult to follow for this old dude.

Also, my hosts file is empty, nothing except that "127.0.0.1 localhost" line in it. It's not just I'm having trouble connecting on my PC, same thing is also on my iMac which is connected through Wi-Fi, and all my other devices (cell phone and one xbox 360). When I have to restart my modem and router for some reason, I am having unbelievable trouble to get my connection back. I've learned I have to live with the fact that there will be no connection for the next half hour whatever I try to do, so it looks like it's better leave it as it is, wait and pray it will come back. Usually that's exactly what happens... it just comes back suddenly without me actually doing anything. I cand't remember I've ever had these problems with old Merlin firmware (47_0).

Is someone willing to take a look at my syslog.txt file from last night when I had another of these episodes? Thanks in advance!
My knowledge about this routers is limited but if you need help implementing what i posted pm me and i will guide you.

I don't know if anyone else has this bug, but when IPV6 is enabled on my router, Time Capsule does not work. My mac is unable to find the backup disk. Everything works fine once IPV6 is disabled on the router.

This is on a TM-AC1900 (or RT-AC68U) running Merlin 376.48.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!