What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, seems like this is my bad day. Found another issue: My PC (Gigabyte GC-WB300D with Atheros AR5BWB222) can't see the 5Ghz anymore. Also, my Nexus 7 2013 doesn't see the 5Ghz wireless. But everything else does (iPhone 6, Note 3), so it's not like the 5Ghz is completelly dead... Is there anything i can do?

Hi,
Are there any known issues with ASUS-RTN66 and Merline 376.45 or .48 firmwares? I was using a very old firmware version but then finally updated to 376.45 in September. Since then my bandwidth usage has increase by manifolds. On some days, the usage is almost 300GB!
Speaking to my ISP, they said something about "SSDP Vulnerability" and to turn off Asus Upnp. Is any of this related?
Makes sense for you to write down all your custom settings, and then reset your firmware to factory defaults. Then change the bare minimum number of settings needed to get your computers back up on the Internet. See if there is still huge traffic out to the Internet.

You have not said whether or not there are special tasks your router may be doing. Am assuming there are none.

You have not told us what your client computers may or may not be doing. Do any of your computers have viruses, possibly? Are any of them involved in peer-to-peer (say, torrent) file sharing? Any users involved in huge amounts of file sharing in general? Anyone doing backups to the web? The idea here is to start by having just the router up and checking the traffic, and then keep checking after you add first one and then all the other clients into the local network side of the router.

Hi Folks,

I just realized that I can't disable the MAC filter on my Guest network.

Before I had a MAC filter enabled on SSID 2.4/5G and only in one Guest SSID, the second guest was without MAC filter and with Access intranet disabled.

Now all the networks are MAC filter enabled, disabling using the GUI don't change anything.

Can someone check it.

I tried with:
nvram set wl0.2_macmode=disabled
nvram commit
reboot

After the reboot the wl0.2_macmode is back to allow instead of disabled.

Hmm, seems like this is my bad day. Found another issue: My PC (Gigabyte GC-WB300D with Atheros AR5BWB222) can't see the 5Ghz anymore. Also, my Nexus 7 2013 doesn't see the 5Ghz wireless. But everything else does (iPhone 6, Note 3), so it's not like the 5Ghz is completelly dead... Is there anything i can do?
Do we know what router you are using? Can your Nexus 7 see the 5 ghz network if it is moved to where it is super close to the router? Similarly can you somehow move the PC close to the router to see if there is some kind of marginal-range issue? Have you updated the Nexus 7 and the PC to the latest wireless "drivers" that it is practical to install? Have you moved any of the 5 ghz wireless settings off of the factory defaults (besides changing the wireless password)?

Am assuming the 2 problem clients can see the 2.4 gigahertz networks fine.

Ok we still dont know the model of your router :confused: .If you use Utorrent , look at the bottom,you gonna see D (download) and U (upload) right clik on both and decrease your bandwith.

In french : (cause i think he know french)
Dans le bas de Utorrent tu va voir D et U, bouton droit sur chaque et descend le bandwith sur les deux.

P.S . Ill not reply anymore if we dont know which router model you have :D

I use download on my Qnap server, and my router is a Rt-Ac66u. The problem appear with Mega too, when I download to fast.

Do we know what router you are using? Can your Nexus 7 see the 5 ghz network if it is moved to where it is super close to the router? Similarly can you somehow move the PC close to the router to see if there is some kind of marginal-range issue? Have you updated the Nexus 7 and the PC to the latest wireless "drivers" that it is practical to install? Have you moved any of the 5 ghz wireless settings off of the factory defaults (besides changing the wireless password)?

Am assuming the 2 problem clients can see the 2.4 gigahertz networks fine.
The router with this issue is an Asus AC68U. I just did a factory default reset, to be sure. Some devices still can't see the 5Ghz wireless. Strange thing is, when i do a scan on them, the results vary. For example:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - can see the 5Ghz network and connect without issues
iPhone 6 - can see the 5Ghz network and connect
iPad Air - can see the 5Ghz network and connect
Nexus 7 2013 - can't see the 5Ghz network
PC - can't see the 5Ghz network

On both PC & Nexus 7 i have the latest firmware/drivers... What else should i try?

Nexus 7 2013 - can't see the 5Ghz network
PC - can't see the 5Ghz network

On both PC & Nexus 7 i have the latest firmware/drivers... What else should i try?
Try googling "Nexus 7 2013 5Ghz". Then try going through the many suggestions that returns. There's too many to duplicate them all here.

Try googling "Nexus 7 2013 5Ghz". Then try going through the many suggestions that returns. There's too many to duplicate them all here.
I never had issues with my "old" AC66U and Nexus 7 2013...

Anyway, i fixed the problem for the Nexus 7. I will post it here, in case somebody else gets in the same trouble. Thx fix is actually funny, as it has nothing to do with the 5Ghz band. I switched my 2.4Ghz channel from Auto to 2 (after scanning my area and found out the best free channel is 2), and after that, my 5Ghz also appeared on Nexus 7 2013... Strange, but now works! The PC is still not seeing the 5Ghz though...

So the PC with Gigabyte-brand WiFi has drivers like these:
https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=74&system=6
or perhaps these:
https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=74&system=7

Couple more questions. What are the WiFi network names in your 'AC68U on 2.4ghz and 5ghz, the SSIDs? Of course my main interest is in whether or not the names are identical.

Have you tried setting the 5ghz channel on the router to, say, 149 or something like that, instead of "Auto"?

You might have fun with this tiny program, too, to survey the field:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html
...not to say that the NirSoft free WiFi viewer is perfect, for example it shows the max connect speed of my EdiMax EDW-7811UTC as "300mbps", even though it is clearly via windows 8.1 logged into the router with a connect link rate of 433mbps.

Using an RT-AC68P at the moment, with the latest RMerlin firmware (48_1). My ISP is Comcast, and IPv6 drops occasionally. Looked over at the IPv6 tab in the "System Log", and I see that there were no IPv6 WAN addresses, just the local ones. So far, rebooting has restored it (just happened). It can happen in a day, sometimes longer. This time the router was up for about 12 hours when IPv6 dropped and I had to reboot to restore it.

Wonder if anyone else is having this problem? Don't think that it's Comcast, since I don't have this problem with the R7000. Not a real big thing, but since I'm trying to get sense of reliability, this is not promising *smile*.

Using an RT-AC68P at the moment, with the latest RMerlin firmware (48_1). My ISP is Comcast, and IPv6 drops occasionally. Looked over at the IPv6 tab in the "System Log", and I see that there were no IPv6 WAN addresses, just the local ones. So far, rebooting has restored it (just happened). It can happen in a day, sometimes longer. This time the router was up for about 12 hours when IPv6 dropped and I had to reboot to restore it.

Wonder if anyone else is having this problem? Don't think that it's Comcast, since I don't have this problem with the R7000. Not a real big thing, but since I'm trying to get sense of reliability, this is not promising *smile*.

Can you give the procedure in this post a try and see if it helps? I'm trying to keep track of some potential IPv6 improvements and would appreciate another data point (unfortunately my ISP is not IPv6 yet). Thanks.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=150860&postcount=18

I had this happen to me with the latest Merlin build a reboot of modem and router restored it. I cant understand why it appears to be so difficult to get IPv6 stable with these firmware builds its not like IPv6 was introduced a few months ago. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Been having a problem getting any v6 address with my AC68P. I have Merlin 376.48_1 and not combination of reboots or power off scenarios helps. There's a thread on DSLReports that I posted in where others had reported similar issues.

I just turned off v6 completely. It's totally screwed up with newer builds of Merlin and official firmware.

Can you give the procedure in this post a try and see if it helps? I'm trying to keep track of some potential IPv6 improvements and would appreciate another data point (unfortunately my ISP is not IPv6 yet). Thanks.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=150860&postcount=18

Got up this morning (after 10 hours with IPv6 enabled), and IPv6 WAN addresses are gone again. IPv6 has dropped. The IPv6 firewall rule that I added is still there, so looks like it really didn't help. So I'll be rebooting soon...thought I'd wait in case you had any questions about this.

This is disturbing, but thanks for trying to help. IPv6 used to work with my RT-N66U, and RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4-sdk5 firmware, so I'm wondering what's happened to RMerlin firmware in the interim? I do remember that there were some key changes made to IPv6 in the firmware around that time.

Update: I also recall the RMerlin firmware using radvd at that time. Most likely has now gone to dnsmasq for the radvd function. That works 100% for IPv6 on Tomato ARM, by the way *smile*. But I think that they needed to modify the generic dnsmasq a bit to make that work.

Last edited:
Got up this morning (after 10 hours with IPv6 enabled), and IPv6 WAN addresses are gone again. IPv6 has dropped. The IPv6 firewall rule that I added is still there, so looks like it really didn't help. So I'll be rebooting soon...thought I'd wait in case you had any questions about this.

Nope...no questions....was just hoping that someone had stumbled on to something. Thanks for taking the time to try it.

Update: I also recall the RMerlin firmware using radvd at that time. Most likely has now gone to dnsmasq for the radvd function.

No, Asuswrt is still using radvd + rddns + some more stuff. Asus worked on adding dnsmasq support a few months ago, but it's currently still disabled.

Asus did a lot of changes to the IPv6 support in the past 4-6 months. Those changes have forced me to also revert quite a few fixes/patches that had been provided by a contributor. So it's possible that either new issues were introduced with the new code, or you needed one of the fixes from Pinwing for IPv6 to work reliably for you.

IPv6 is just one big mess, with every ISP seemingly implementing it differently. Funny story - on a Singapore forum, an ISP's support recommends switching to my FW over the stock Asus because apparently IPv6 support only works with mine.

Personally, I only know the very basics of IPv6, and have in no way the expertise to be able to deal with every ISP's own way of handling IPv6.

IPv6 was designed by engineers who love to write down a lot of complicated, half-useless stuff "because it looks neat, architecture-wise", with little thoughts about the actual implementation of those papers in a real-life scenario. But that's just my personal opinion there.

I tried with:
nvram set wl0.2_macmode=disabled
nvram commit
reboot

After the reboot the wl0.2_macmode is back to allow instead of disabled.

Hi Folks,

Someone else have the same issue as described: #268 ?

No, Asuswrt is still using radvd + rddns + some more stuff. Asus worked on adding dnsmasq support a few months ago, but it's currently still disabled.

I didn't see radvd hourly in the log, so I made the assumption that it was not used anymore. But I do see it started in the startup part of the log now.

Anyways, looks like I'll have to turn off IPv6 to figure out how reliable this router is. Too bad that IPv6 isn't reliable, though. Not that I need it at the moment, but I'm reading more articles about how low the world is on IPv4 addresses. I know that we'll be using dual stack as long as we can, but at some point, unless we start a more layered use of IPv4 addresses that's going to be over. So when I buy a router, IPv6 is something that I look for.

Took Netgear a while to get it right on their R7000 firmware, but now it has worked fine for me for a few months. Sad that Asus hasn't been able to do as well as Netgear in that area. IPv6 works fine on the WRT1900AC as well, although it did drop once on me on that router early on. But stayed working for the next week that I used it. Even tomato ARM, in "beta", has a very solid IPv6 implementation, at least on the R7000 it was solid. Inherited from the MIPS architecture implementation, no doubt *smile*.

I didn't see radvd hourly in the log, so I made the assumption that it was not used anymore. But I do see it started in the startup part of the log now.

Anyways, looks like I'll have to turn off IPv6 to figure out how reliable this router is. Too bad that IPv6 isn't reliable, though. Not that I need it at the moment, but I'm reading more articles about how low the world is on IPv4 addresses. I know that we'll be using dual stack as long as we can, but at some point, unless we start a more layered use of IPv4 addresses that's going to be over. So when I buy a router, IPv6 is something that I look for.

Took Netgear a while to get it right on their R7000 firmware, but now it has worked fine for me for a few months. Sad that Asus hasn't been able to do as well as Netgear in that area. IPv6 works fine on the WRT1900AC as well, although it did drop once on me on that router early on. But stayed working for the next week that I used it. Even tomato ARM, in "beta", has a very solid IPv6 implementation, at least on the R7000 it was solid. Inherited from the MIPS architecture implementation, no doubt *smile*.

Roger i just installed 376.48_1 to see how IPv6 works here. So far it is working but we will see as a few days pass. I was using John's fork 374.43_2 ver6 and IPv6 was all good. I will post back if i lose my V6 address with Merlins latest build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!