What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have noticed this too on my AC68R. DLNA discovery over the network has gotten flaky compared to the latest .49_4 build I was running on before. It is not as bad as it was in the early days of the RT68R firmware in the early part of last year. But it has definitely regressed in the .50 build.

The only change in 378.50 related to minidlna was a fix related to the addition of new files to the database. Minidlna's broadcast itself hasn't changed.

Hi RMerlin,

I'd set my AC-RT56U to use https only on standard 443 port. All work fine, but in each reboot cycle the Router seems to generate another different certificate, so I need to clear my browser cache, and add again the newer certificate before i can log in the router webui again.

I dont know if this is the normal behavior, but is annoying repeat the same process in each reboot.

telnet/ssh to the router and

nvram set https_crt_save=1
nvram commit
reboot

then open the router webui and add the certificate....

Note: the cert is saved in nvram.....so make sure you have about 1.5K of nvram space available.

I have noticed this too on my AC68R. DLNA discovery over the network has gotten flaky compared to the latest .49_4 build I was running on before. It is not as bad as it was in the early days of the RT68R firmware in the early part of last year. But it has definitely regressed in the .50 build.

minidlna doesn't play well with IGMP Snooping....make sure snooping is disabled on the interface you are using for the DLNA server.

This thing must probably be seen as a bug - there's still setting "Off(default)", which cannot be selected (Wireless -> Professional -> 5 GHz)?

It is obviously "by design", but then "Off" could not be the default as stated in UI. Might be shortcoming of Asus code?

Fixed with this commit. The Off (and "d") options will no longer be offered if in a DFS-enabled region that requires 802.11h.

NOD32. IMO best hands down

2nd that. Been running NOD32 for many years, was turned onto the product by our company's security manager. I think it is one of the few vendors where you can still get a DOS version that's how lightweight the core product is.

Last edited:
telnet/ssh to the router and

nvram set https_crt_save=1
nvram commit
reboot

then open the router webui and add the certificate....

Note: the cert is saved in nvram.....so make sure you have about 1.5K of nvram space available.

thank john, I miss the nvram parameter, working fine now

WiFi MAC filter strange, etc

Tried to update and all went good (RT-AC66U), but when adding my settings two things confuse me:

1. The wifi MAC filter is missing the frequency choice.

2. In wireless professional settings the enable wireless scheduler is set to on, should be defaulted to off.

Sorry if these things has been adressed before, but when reading 20 pages of this thread i jump to the end.

Hi, I am using this release on my RT-AC66u and set the AP isolated under wireless professional settings. I expected the mac addresses of other WiFi clients to be hidden but they are not. When I run fing on my android phone it shows all the clients on the network. Is this expected behavior ? Is there a way to prevent mac spoofing?

Tried to update and all went good (RT-AC66U), but when adding my settings two things confuse me:

1. The wifi MAC filter is missing the frequency choice.

2. In wireless professional settings the enable wireless scheduler is set to on, should be defaulted to off.

Sorry if these things has been adressed before, but when reading 20 pages of this thread i jump to the end.

1) This was changed by Asus, this is by design
2) This has always been the case in all firmware releases

@CiscoX
Makes me wonder what you would get with Adaptive QoS with the 200MHz extra of the AC87U. Do you also use PPPoE?
I wasn't worried, I was quite impressed as most routers drop to roughly 90Mbit when enabling QoS (Because there it disables CTF).
And about that donation, good idea, I think I should do one as well.

@sWORDs

Hi, I just bought the ASUS RT-AC87U (with 3.0.0.4.376.2769) I flashed the 3.0.0.4.378.3885 firmware (bootloader v.1.0.3.2)
I did some speed test and i still get 945/945 without QOS enable. Only AiProtection - Network Protection enabled.

I'm gonna run some test with Adaptive QOS later and see how much it will kill my speed :) But I do have a feelings that i'm gonna get the same results as my 68U.
Later at some point I'm gonna install RMerlin's firmware. But i don't have any issue right now with my 87U.

BTW! Anybody else have this line in the Routing Table
169.254.39.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 LAN

Last edited:
I have a RT-AC68U on 3.0.0.4.378.50 (+ factory reset) running in Access Point mode. On my Tools page "HW Acceleration" is shown as "Disabled - incompatible with:" but no reason is stated. Is this normal?

Multicast does not work when N66U is in Media Bridge mode. Seems to be a common problem with Asus firmware when in media bridge or repeater mode. I found a few threads that say multicast works when using WDS, but i'm not going to leave the AP open or use WEP. Any chance Merlin can fix this issue or does it require fixes upstream with ASUS?

Had further chance to play with this build on my AC56U.

I found doing a 2nd flash and wipe has cured some of my Adaptive QoS issues (traffic all being general). It seems nvram wipe and flash from recovery does not work predictably and the wipe after flash is needed even if wiped before !

Adaptive QoS is working in terms of categorising applications, but what appears to not work at all is device priorisation from the adaptive QoS bandwidth monitor.

Hi RMerlin,

I am having some performance/connection issues on 5G with .50 on a AC87.
Somewhat similar to the old bug that was fixed with 376.49_5.

The old bug saw some performance deterioration on 5G, forcing the user (i.e.: me!) to reboot the router.
This was fixed around 376.49_5 and had no problems for about a month.

I upgrade to 378.50 and I am now getting issues on mobile devices (iphone, android) and appleTV, Mac connecting on 5G... but this is somewhat different... this time they work fine, then suddenly they don't get any internet access (but the connection still shows full strength 4 bars to the 5G network), the difference here is that I don't need to reboot the router, I can just switch to 2G... everything works fine... then back to 5G.... and everything works fine until it stops again. I probably get that about 3 or 4 times a day.

The *only* difference is that this time I enabled the network protection features: Malicious sites blocking, vulnerability protection, infected device prevention and blocking.
By the way, I am not going on "bad sites", this is just normal browsing (Cnn, etc). I don't get any alerts or logs.
Nonetheless, I have now disable all those options so the settings are exactly the same as before and will let you know if it makes any difference...
But I just thought I would post something now in case someone else has some issues with 5G!

Cheers,
B.

I have a RT-AC68U on 3.0.0.4.378.50 (+ factory reset) running in Access Point mode. On my Tools page "HW Acceleration" is shown as "Disabled - incompatible with:" but no reason is stated. Is this normal?

This usually happens if you toggled an incompatible feature without rebooting (for instance if you just disabled IPTraffic).

Multicast does not work when N66U is in Media Bridge mode. Seems to be a common problem with Asus firmware when in media bridge or repeater mode. I found a few threads that say multicast works when using WDS, but i'm not going to leave the AP open or use WEP. Any chance Merlin can fix this issue or does it require fixes upstream with ASUS?

Will probably have to be done by Asus. That's a bit outside of my field of expertise.

This usually happens if you toggled an incompatible feature without rebooting (for instance if you just disabled IPTraffic).
Thanks Merlin, that was it. I remember turning that on when I set up this new firmware but I could not see any new function so I turned it off again. After a reboot now it shows "Enabled" for h/w acceleration.

BTW, it seems the IPTraffic on/off option is offered in AP mode but the function only works in router mode?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!