What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
This is the second beta release for the 378.56 release. Please see this post for the details of the 378.56 release.

Note 1: There is no RT-N66U release for this beta as I don't have the necessary closed source component yet for that model.

Note 2: Mediafire is still experiencing issues (it's now been escalated to their engineering department). For the time being, please use the new Sourceforge mirror.

Thanks to the testers for their feedback on the beta 1 release.

Changes in 378.56 Beta 2:

Code:
378.56 Beta 2 (18-Oct-2015)
   - CHANGED: Increased Guest MAC filter entries limit to 64.
   - CHANGED: DHCP query logging no longer override configured
              syslog level, and option was renamed to "Hide queries"
              to be more intuitive in regard to the level logging
              configured.
   - CHANGED: Enabling Hide DHCP queries also silences any RA
              routine event.
   - CHANGED: Reverted networkmap's printer detection change
              as it didn't resolve the printer wakeups.
   - CHANGED: Reorganized settings on the System page
   - FIXED: QoS page layout in Firefox
   - FIXED: curl wasn't using the firmware's CA list (regression)
   - FIXED: Models with 128 KB support were only reporting 64 KB
            in the nvram userspace tool
   - FIXED: Traditional QoS not working when IPv6 is enabled
            (patch by charlie2alpha)
   - FIXED: Smart Connect page fails to save interface policies
   - FIXED: VPNStatus page was broken on French locale

Please keep this discussion on topic, which is specifically the 378.56 beta 2 release. Off-topic posts will be either ignored, moved, or deleted, depending on my mood at the time I run into them. So, you've been warned.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
  • Guest Network's mac filter lists not working properly (Bug in Asus's 9177 code, unlikely to be fixed in time for the 378.56 release)
  • PPTP/L2TP VPN client page broken on French locale (FIXED)
  • Virtual server entries with ellipsis not properly edited (FIXED)
  • NTP failing to update for some user (user issue caused by a custom dnsmasq - see this post for a solution)

Last edited:
Installed fine on my RC68-U, no issues noted (about 15 minutes in) but then again the kids (who hammer wifi/complain the most) are still in bed... so it works very well right now with LAN streaming very smooth, VPN access works well as does the Traffic Monitor.
Printer Detection appears to be fine (right icon by my printer), will watch out for it waking up from it's perennial slumber.
Don't use QOS (but am testing Bandwith limiting on the kids, so will check later on today)

Thanks for the update Merlin, loading now.

Just wanted to let you know I had an unexpected reboot earlier (on beta 1). Last line was this.

Code:
Oct 17 18:56:32 dnsmasq-dhcp[435]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.2 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

I have the whole log saved if your interested. The other thread is closed so I wanted to just let you know.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned that AC66U users should stay on 378.55, is this now considered safe for us to use? I don't think I looked through all 12 pages for AC66U issues, so I'm not sure if there's fixes or not.

Since you mentioned that AC66U users should stay on 378.55, is this now considered safe for us to use? I don't think I looked through all 12 pages for AC66U issues, so I'm not sure if there's fixes or not.
AC66U users should try beta 2, the beta 1 problem was fixed and it wasn't anything like a serious bug but a typo of sorts.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

AC66U users should try beta 2, the beta 1 problem was fixed and it wasn't anything like a serious bug but a typo of sorts.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank you for the reply. Just flashed it, and it seems fine. Will post up more results later as time permits!

Have a strange windows media center not detecting hdhomerun network tuners with this firmware and asus 2 latest (378) official that I tried. I checked to make sure I'm set to "home network" which would normally cause it, and occurdiscovery finds the tuners just fine.

Just for reference FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx that came with the router works and so does John fork latest.

This bug seem to be from asus but I thought I would post it anyway.

I played with upnp and igmp settings but nothing seems to work with the 378 builds. Could anyone give me any insight into what may be going on?

Thanks,

RT-AC68P, Bandwidth Monitor is still broken. When traffic is routed through a VPN client, Download traffic is being reported as Upload. I think this is probably an issue for ASUS to fix though.

RT-AC68P
wireless mac filter
2n8sgfm.jpg

The list(New device) was created before the firmware upgrade.
Like a zombie, even if deleted reappears.
The same code is also duplicated registration.

Using Google Translator.

Last edited:
RT-AC68P
wireless mac filter
2n8sgfm.jpg

The list(New device) was created before the firmware upgrade.
Like a zombie, even if deleted reappears.
The same code is also duplicated registration.

Using Google Translator.

The impossibility of deleting entries in the Wireless MAC tab is something I've already experienced in beta1. You shall try to erase the NVRAM parts related to these entries, as Merlin suggested:

Code:
nvram set wl_maclist_x=""
nvram set wl0_maclist_x=""
nvram set wl1_maclist_x=""
nvram commit

I would thank Merlin for having added the possibility to put 64 entries max on MAC list for guest networks, managing the same list of the same dimension (64 entries max) for both main and guest networks. Although, I have to point the attention on the fact that ASUS probably would have handled the 2 lists (the main Wireless MAC list and the guest ones) separately: otherwise it would be pointless having a main list of 64 entries and the guest one of 16 entries only.

Also in the RT-N66U latest officla firmware they stated that:

- Independent mac filter for main wireless network and guest network. Administrator can set white list for main wireless network to only allow trust client connect to main wireless network and share network to guest with guest network

Merlin, what do you think about it?

RT-AC66; Haven't tried either Beta, but just wanted to point out an observation regarding the printer wake-up. It always happens on the hour (a second or two after, actually, but that could be a difference between the time on my PC and the router.) Which does bring up a question- how can one see the time on the router?

hardware reset(power+wps) after * system log *

Aug 1 00:10:29 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:10:29 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:10:58 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:10:58 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:11:28 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:11:28 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:11:58 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:11:58 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:12:28 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:12:28 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:12:58 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:12:58 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:13:28 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:13:28 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:13:58 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:13:58 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:14:28 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:14:28 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug 1 00:14:58 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug 1 00:14:58 hour monitor: ntp is not syn

Unable to connect to WAN after update to beta 2 (from .55).

I am using the ISP Profile Singtel-Others (where the VLAN on port 4 is 20 for the IPTV).

Link is detected on WAN on Tools page (1000mbps full duplex) but WAN always says Disconnected.

Rolling back to .55 now.

Does this beta 2 still have the battery drain issue and is the 5ghz band useable at all with this?

RT-AC68P, Bandwidth Monitor is still broken. When traffic is routed through a VPN client, Download traffic is being reported as Upload. I think this is probably an issue for ASUS to fix though.

This would explain what I see with the QOS settings and the VPN Client traffic getting restricted to the value I put into my upload speed instead of the download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!