What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a quite complex setup on my AC56U, including OpenVPN client + server, several scripts for P2P and routing, entware, rtorrent, printer, USB drive.
Now the question which I'm sure will be a really noobie one, plz bear with me on the answer.

I consider upgrading to this release, coming from 378.54, as I've read that now the 2 CPU cores are used for the VPN. Problem I face, is what will happen with JFFS,, entware, etc, as numbered above. I'll give it a go at saving settings via the NVRAM tool, but will the rest need saving, mounting, etc., on its own?.

Could anyone please kindly enlighten me?. I always go all the way to start from scratch when updating FWs to avoid any issue, but got so much time invested in this one that I'm really wary!.

PS: Can anyone confirm the dual core usage for the VPN encryption, and if out of it throughput improves?.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone had hard lockups on 380.58 on arm models?

I did a factory default today on my ac88u set everything up fully, took a backup

then enabled qos rules and traffic monitoring (as i usually dont use that stuff just wanted to try it out)

left it torrenting at around 100mbit came back 10 hours later
no internet and no reply from a ping on the router lan ip from any device in the house

power cycled the router (from traffic stats it seemed to last 4 hours or so)

I have never had a hard lockup before in the 2 years or so on my ac66u
the fist day with the ac88u hard lockup

hope its a one off..

Anyone had hard lockups on 380.58 on arm models?

I did a factory default today on my ac88u set everything up fully, took a backup

then enabled qos rules and traffic monitoring (as i usually dont use that stuff just wanted to try it out)

left it torrenting at around 100mbit came back 10 hours later
no internet and no reply from a ping on the router lan ip from any device in the house

power cycled the router (from traffic stats it seemed to last 4 hours or so)

I have never had a hard lockup before in the 2 years or so on my ac66u
the fist day with the ac88u hard lockup

hope its a one off..
My RT-AC87U is fine. Since 380.57_0 and upgrading to an Arris SB6190 modem our Internet service has been quite steady and reliable. No issues at all it seems and I am not complaining. :):):)

If not for Eric then the AC87x platform would be relegated to the junk pile as a colossal failure. As it is, it's merely a failure instead. ;););)

5 minutes may not be long enough. 10 minutes (full) minimum; but 30 minutes even better.

When I have to do this type of troubleshooting, a full hour of all network equipment off and physically unplugged from the AC will either fix the issue right there, or will let me know it is something else to chase after. ;)

Thank you for your help. I tried all the troubleshooting. After some research, it seems to be a problem with Time Warner's firmware for the SB6183 cable modem. I found this from the TW forum:
RE:Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)
Ok, got an answer-- this isssue is due to a bug that was discovered and confirmed by Arris to affect the currently deployed SB6183 firmware. Arris has released an update (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH) that resolves this issue. Our engineering team has the new firmware and it is going through testing now. We expect the update to begin to be pushed out in approx. 3-4 weeks.

I lost IPv6 on my SB6183 when I updated the firmware and did a boot cycle for both my modem and router. Explains why I thought it was the new router firmware. Here is the forum where I found the response.

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/IPv6/Lost-IPv6-after-modem-swap-SB6183/td-p/98567/page/2

PS: Can anyone confirm the dual core usage for the VPN encryption, and if out of it throughput improves?.

It doesn't. OpenVPN is single threaded, therefore it cannot use more than one CPU core per client.

Hard lock-up on 380.58 when importing a cert into the HTTPS aicloud web interface using https://myaddress:443 - is this expected / known issue. I am using a goddaddy cert that I use with my synology. I have the cert, the chain and the key all in PEM format - once uploaded the router hangs.

It was VERY hard to find right bloody combo of button to reset router to factory! I will try a second time to see if it happens again....

--edit-- did exactly the same procedure a second time - no issues, weird, now i have the certs loaded so good news everybody!

--edit 2-- so the cert is working on the aicloud webpage. It doesn't seem to do double duty for the web administration page.

--edit 3-- figured out how to do it for the HTTPD shame there is no UI for that, i hate WinSCP, SSH and commandlines :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. I tried all the troubleshooting. After some research, it seems to be a problem with Time Warner's firmware for the SB6183 cable modem. I found this from the TW forum:

I lost IPv6 on my SB6183 when I updated the firmware and did a boot cycle for both my modem and router. Explains why I thought it was the new router firmware. Here is the forum where I found the response.

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/IPv6/Lost-IPv6-after-modem-swap-SB6183/td-p/98567/page/2

I experienced the same thing on my AC68P Chris. I am in TWC California and we are in the midst of the TWC "Maxx" upgrades, and my 6183 lost IPV6 from a reboot after this firmware update. I ran across the same information you did on the DSL Reports forums.

I wound up having an issue with getting into the GUI after upgrade. My mouse was fine but nothing worked--no tabs on the side or top. I couldn't do anything after login. It wasn't my machine because all other websites, etc. worked fine. Which aso meant the router was working.

I did a reset on the router but that solved nothing. It took a restart of my computer to put things back. I don't understand that, but it works now.

If not for Eric then the AC87x platform would be relegated to the junk pile as a colossal failure. As it is, it's merely a failure instead. ;););)
I have a nighthawk 7000 and a 87U. Other than the 5Ghz power saving issue its spot on. No disconnects or reboots, it just works.

Hello All,

I have the following concern with my RT-AC56U. When it uses any of the led control solutions - scheduled or manual switch on/off -, I recognize the led for 5GHz wifi does not light up after it swithed on. If I reboot the router, it functions again. Can someone help me what is the problem behind? Does anyone have the same issue?

Thanks,

Hi I have a problem with 380.58.
I upgrade my AC66U which work normal. After flashing and reboot only the 2.4GHz is available.

I reflashed 380.57 and the 5GHz come back. Can anyone please help me.

regards

Hi I have a problem with 380.58.
I upgrade my AC66U which work normal. After flashing and reboot only the 2.4GHz is available.

I reflashed 380.57 and the 5GHz come back. Can anyone please help me.

regards
one thing u fail to mention is if you erased nvram/restore factory defaults after flashing new fw..
its the first and foremost action in troubleshooting as stated in numerous posts throughout this thread and any other firmware thread.
5ghz is working fine on my ac66u.
if you have a clean install and its still not working try reflashing 380.58 again.

Hi, thanks in advance.
Nothing found about doing a factory reset if I came from 380.57. But i'll give this a try.

edit:
ok i flashed firmware again and do a factory reset, now all work as it should.
Thanks again

regards

Last edited:
Anyone having issues with DNLA access with this firmware?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just checked. Both players seeing DLNA fine--if not faster.

I have two NAS with DLNA. Both are equally accessible. And the USB 3.0 on the router.

one thing u fail to mention is if you erased nvram/restore factory defaults after flashing new fw..
its the first and foremost action in troubleshooting as stated in numerous posts throughout this thread and any other firmware thread.
5ghz is working fine on my ac66u.
if you have a clean install and its still not working try reflashing 380.58 again.
I have actually been having a problem with 2.4 ghz (randomly locks up and have to reboot the modem) since the update. Have done NVRAM/Factory resets and still didnt fix it.

tried the upgrade and all went smoothly
after upgrade custom routing didn't work
with win scp discovered that subfolders w/in the jffs folder didn't exist (ie no scripts folder)
downgraded to .57 and folders return and all works properly

Yeah, I had problems with this one and dropped down to 380.57 again. I think there may be some issue for N66. In addition to the DNSmasq and other errors that I kept getting that would lock up all connections i couldn't get it to go more than about 36-40 hours of uptime without it crashing and rebooting. on 380.57 i'm back to over a week of uptime with 0 problems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!