What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find out the RT-AC66U Firmware is out already, Since they use the similar Hardware other than wireless chipset, is it possible to make it useable on the RT-N66U ? Since the firmware is 3.0.0.4.140, Will it work better than the .130 ? Thanks A Lot ~~~!!

I just find out the RT-AC66U Firmware is out already, Since they use the similar Hardware other than wireless chipset, is it possible to make it useable on the RT-N66U ? Since the firmware is 3.0.0.4.140, Will it work better than the .130 ? Thanks A Lot ~~~!!

You didn't have to repost the same question you already posted twice on my website you know :)

Asus had only released the binary firmware, which is useless to me. However last night they also uploaded the sources. I'll be looking at it, but won't be using it as they already announced that a new official RT-N66U release should be out in June. I'll be waiting for that release.

However, for the curious, I started looking at the AC66U sources. There's a new build option in there for the N66U, that is enabled by default:

NVRAM_64K=y

So if that option works correctly (better than in their 9.0.0.3.128 beta), I expect we'll be getting the 64K fix sometime this month as expected.

Interesting fact: the AC66U ALSO has that option enabled...

Those are all generic questions unrelated to this custom build.

For 2.4/5 GHz, some wireless adapters (like my Centrino 6230) have an option if you edit your device settings in Device Manager that lets you set a band preference. By default it's set to "no preference", so it can connect to either band. You have to set it to "Prefer 5 GHz" if you want to connect to it by default.

For the performance issue, all the usual caveats apply: make sure it's set to 40 MHz on the 5 GHz band, that you are using WPA2-AES for security and encryption, make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your wireless interface, etc...

yeah, sorry, as i said: i just got the router and used the original FW for 5 minutes and then crawled to your custom FW (it MUST be better) and I don't know if some of my issues could be solved/created by this FW :)

anyway, short report: after setting the wifi as you suggested, i started changing the oprions i was not sure about, and realized that my streaming was crippled by the QoS default setting on.
now i can stream with peaks of 60mbit (1080p works, but 1080+3d stutters).
I wonder if i can still improve the wifi to get it to work (with jumbo frames perhaps? but i guess they might be counterproductive for streaming...).

thanks for the suggestions and of course for the bugfixes on the FW

Last edited:
Jumbo Frames would only help with wired ethernet - your bottleneck is more on the wifi side at this point.

You might be able to improve streaming performance by using a DLNA streamer (like Mezzmo/Serviio) instead of a regular Windows File Share (if that's what you were using).

Hey again Merlin, I wonder if would be simple enough to remove the limitation imposed on the VLAN ID values one can put at http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp when using ISP Profile > Manual?

For some reason it only allows 2-4094. I wonder why not 0-4094?

Recently I've found that, ie LAN3 seem to work as normal when using ID 0 (at least according that what it shows when selecting Singtel-Others > Apply > selecting Manual).

It would probably help with Selpix's problem as well, who needs to input VLAN ID 1 for Internet.

Hey again Merlin, I wonder if would be simple enough to remove the limitation imposed on the VLAN ID values one can put at http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp when using ISP Profile > Manual?

For some reason it only allows 2-4094. I wonder why not 0-4094?

Recently I've found that, ie LAN3 seem to work as normal when using ID 0 (at least according that what it shows when selecting Singtel-Others > Apply > selecting Manual).

It would probably help with Selpix's problem as well, who needs to input VLAN ID 1 for Internet.

Any VLAN expert has any idea why Asus would limit it to 2-4094? If nobody can think of any reason, sure, I can probably remove that from the webui.

Jumbo Frames would only help with wired ethernet - your bottleneck is more on the wifi side at this point.

You might be able to improve streaming performance by using a DLNA streamer (like Mezzmo/Serviio) instead of a regular Windows File Share (if that's what you were using).

i tried ps3 media server (yielding the best results, even though I had decoding problems on windows), ushare, windows media center, wmp, the router media server with a USB HD, and all of them to TV, xbox360, and bluray player.
each combination had some problem, and the closest solution would be to squeeze some extra mbit from the dual band wifi :)

I don't want to spam (more) your fw thread, I'll open a dedicated one tomorrow. and you're invited to further help :p

Any VLAN expert has any idea why Asus would limit it to 2-4094? If nobody can think of any reason, sure, I can probably remove that from the webui.

Well I certainly wouldn't be one, but don't other custom firmwares allow any value? But it's very strange how it seems to use VLAN ID 0 when using preset profiles, but not letting do the same in Manual. Seems like an obvious mistake, but so does Selpix's case. He says he can use Internet just fine not touching anything. I'm wondering if that means that by default the VLAN ID for Internet is 1.

Maybe 0 and 1 aren't options because they are default values?

However, for the curious, I started looking at the AC66U sources. There's a new build option in there for the N66U, that is enabled by default:

NVRAM_64K=y

So if that option works correctly (better than in their 9.0.0.3.128 beta), I expect we'll be getting the 64K fix sometime this month as expected.

Interesting fact: the AC66U ALSO has that option enabled...

Thanks For Your Reply, and also Thanks for your effort for doing all this for all of us ~~!! Thank You ~~~!!! :):):)

Hi,

Just installed the latest version RM9 and there are several things I can't get to work.

1. It's not possible to chose a MAC address or Unit name in the drop down box of the manual set of IP number actually I can't set a fixed IP at all since activate or add (+) doesn't seem to do anything.

2. Pressing 3G/WIMAX In the USB program menu brings you the WAN setup page not the 3G page.

3. It's not possible to enter the Download Manager after it's installed. It's not possible to upgrade it either since you get an error "Application upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect file or error transmission." trying to do so.

Hi,

Just installed the latest version RM9 and there are several things I can't get to work.

1. It's not possible to chose a MAC address or Unit name in the drop down box of the manual set of IP number actually I can't set a fixed IP at all since activate or add (+) doesn't seem to do anything.

2. Pressing 3G/WIMAX In the USB program menu brings you the WAN setup page not the 3G page.

3. It's not possible to enter the Download Manager after it's installed. It's not possible to upgrade it either since you get an error "Application upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect file or error transmission." trying to do so.

1) Works for me. Make sure you did enable "Manual assignment" on that page. Also try a different browser, make sure you aren't blocking Javascript, etc...

2) That's because I enabled the new Dual WAN support. There's a whole tab devoted to dual wan instead of the old limited 3G support. Dual WAN support can handle all types of connections now, not just USB/3G.

3) Asus's optware repo is half-broken. It's missing the Packages.tgz index, for starter. And last time I tried to test it, I couldn't even download any update from their repo. That makes it hard for me to troubleshoot this part, but my build is using the 3.0.0.4.130 code with no change there, so if it's broken, it's either broken in Asus's firmware, or on their repo.

After trying the best releases of Merlin, where I indicated a lower signal strength 5 GHz (common problem that even the beta of ASUS), I reinstalled the version 3.0.0.3.112 and, magically, wireless clients are hooked to the router with 10 dB more.

I did a compare of build 140 (as released for the AC66U) versus build 130. What I found:

• Lots of kernel level changes related to bridging. Hopefully will fix the stability issues introduced with the newer QoS code that was relying partly on a netfilter bridge module. I think they backported some bridging code from newer kernel (I didn't look any further to see from where)
  • Support for 64K NVRAM at the kernel level (no CFE update)
  • HTTPS support enabled (they pushed a few additional fixes to that code)
  • Support for the AC66U hardware (obviously)
  • They updated MiniDLNA to the latest version (so I won't have to manually update it anymore)
  • Some minor changes related to optware (hopefully fixing some of the issues with updating Downloadmaster)
  • Code changes related to PPP/PPTP (hopefully helping with VPN stability issues)

I was also told by Asus that they are testing the next firmware release for the RT-N66U. I can tell you it's newer than build 140 (I know the actual build number in fact), and will definitely be out before the end of June. So, I won't be working on rebasing on 140, and will be waiting this new release instead.

Here are my plans for the near future (no promises on any of them - it's more a wishlist than an actual roadmap):

• Rebase on the new RT-N66U version when its out
  • Moving the github repo. I really appreciate what Shantanugoel has done so far by setting up the repo on his github account, but I think it would make more sense that I host my project under my own name on Github rather than someone else, now that I am more familiar with Git :)
  • Find some developers willing to collaborate with me on making builds for the RT-N16 and RT-A66U (once it's out). Not having either routers nor the funds to buy them, I'd be looking for someone skilled enough to make their own builds, do whatever adjustments needed (such as adding missing drivers to my branch), etc...
  • Move downloads from my personal website to Github. My hoster claims "unlimited monthly traffic", but I'd rather not test out their limits. For the first half of June alone, I generated over 18 GB of traffic. I didn't expect this project to be so popular, considering that TomatoUSB is working pretty well on the RT-N66U at this point.
  • Look at OpenVPN support (part of the code is already there)
  • Look at DHCP reservations descriptions (in a backward compatible way)
  • Improved WOL interface (user-defined list of targets, for example)
  • NFS support (server and/or client)

Thanks everyone who showed interest and support in this little project. It has greatly cut down on my free time (and my sleep time too!), but so far it's fun. And a special "thank you!" must go to the three folks who decided to donate through Paypal. It's not required, but it's definitely very much appreciated!

1) Works for me. Make sure you did enable "Manual assignment" on that page. Also try a different browser, make sure you aren't blocking Javascript, etc...

Tried with latest FF and IE and it has worked before (however I did not reset my settings before the upgrader or after for that matter). Could be that I use Swedish language to.

2) That's because I enabled the new Dual WAN support. There's a whole tab devoted to dual wan instead of the old limited 3G support. Dual WAN support can handle all types of connections now, not just USB/3G.

OK, however it is not possible to set provider or apn so I think it pretty useless unless you live in china and can use the preset ones.

Thanks for all the good work , sent a little P P your way . After reading up on your site about the music and the shows /books youn like had to chip in to support the work you're doing on the router .

Good luck .

@Jerry6: Thank you :)

@Spitfire69: It's recommended to reset to factory defaults, as quite a lot has changed between 108/112/116b and this 130-based build. Give it a shot. It might also be language-specific - that has happened in the past, as the English QiS didn't work in the initial router shipment - you had to use another language to be able to do the initial setup of your router.

Others: I compiled 3.0.0.4.140 to give it a spin. Looks like Asus finalized the new cloud-related features. See those two screenshots:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1114...s/5754736946215738721?authkey=CP7RmpjelLjR8AE

I haven't tested them as I mostly want to see if they fixed some of the issues I had with 130. But I think that Asus is only just starting to spread its wings with this firmware. Remember that Asuswrt is less than a year old after all :)

EDIT: That build is unusable, so trust me, you do NOT want to run it. :) It probably didn't like the fact I had to use an older wireless driver with it since the AC66U didn't come with the N66U drivers.

Last edited:
OK, however it is not possible to set provider or apn so I think it pretty useless unless you live in china and can use the preset ones.

After enabling Dual Wan, go back to the Internet Connection tab, and change the WAN type from "WAN" to "USB". It will then display the modem configuration page.

Not very intuitive, I agree.

CDMA 3G USB connection issues

I have been using your RT-N66U_3.0.0.3_130.9 build now for a week and it has behaved wonderfully in the most part (way better than the stock Asus n66 firmwares), however I am having some issues with 3G USB Modem and was wondering if anyone can offer advice regarding troubleshooting my problems.

I have had success with an hsdpa+ card, however, here in indonesia the cheapest mobile broadband providers (by a long way) are CDMA / EVDO based.

I have 2 modems (Huawei ec156 and Huawei ec1261-2) and have SIMS from 2 providers (AHA and Smartfren). I have checked to make sure that all combinations of devices and USB 3G modems work fine under windows.

When I try to connect with the rt-n66u, by inspection of dmesg / system log output, I seem to get consistent behavior for both cards, a summary of which is as follows:

1. Modem connects
2. Modem gets IP address / DNS server information
3. Modem disconnects (after about 1 minute) [WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues]
4. Modem connects (back to step 1)

I have searched on the internet and found no published workarounds, so am wanting to now try to resolve this myself and would appreciate any advice as to where to start?

Last edited:
[*]Moving the github repo. I really appreciate what Shantanugoel has done so far by setting up the repo on his github account, but I think it would make more sense that I host my project under my own name on Github rather than someone else, now that I am more familiar with Git :)
I agree... Thanks for the appreciation though all the work has been done by you so far :). I'll be more than happy to make any minor contributions that I do to your github repo :)

RT-N66U - Merlin Build 3.0.0.3 130 Build 9

Hi Merlin, A number of us are experiencing some annoying issues if we use Vlan which are required by some of the local ISPs over fibre.

With your in-depth knowledge of the workings of this router, can you advise your thoughts as to why we are experiencing issues in only being able to use one or two of the available four lan ports on the RT-N66U. As stated I used an additional gigabit switch (non-smart) to overcome the issue, but that is not an ideal solution.

I quote below an a link to a local discussion forum regarding this issue.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...s-rt-n56u-connected-ont-directly-3635885.html

Tks Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!