What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this:

#!/bin/sh
echo "server=/bbc.co.uk/149.154.158.186" > /tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf

Last edited:
Try this:

#!/bin/sh
echo "server=/bbc.co.uk/149.154.158.186" > /tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf

Thanks, but it did not help.
My guess is the startup script does not start correctly or the dnsmasq.conf will be rewritten after this script.

Last edited:
OK, when I last tred to use my RT-N66U in early June, the latest firmware version that would work with a 3G WAN was 3.0.0.3.90, none of the versions after that would work. And the 90 version was already quite old, and full of bugs. The latest Asus version, 3.0.0.3.112 would not work, nor would any of the Betas after that.

I have since been away, and am now back at home, and have been pleasantly surprised to see that the latest version 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta 3 works out of the box.

Thanks, RMerlin, this is great, at least I can now start using and testing the RT-N66U !

My guess is the startup script does not start correctly or the dnsmasq.conf will be rewritten after this script.

init-start is run before all services. Your config is probably overwritten when the dnsmasq service starts.

Try using services-start instead of init-start, and make sure to also restart dnsmasq in that script after you modify the config file.

Good day!!!

Updated OP with 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta 3. This will hopefully be the last beta before the final release.

This update mostly consists of fixes related to the new NAT loopback code.

Good day!!!
Is it possible to expect adjustment on the following items?
1) Adjusting the reserve LAN\WAN channel we can't specify for it wan connection type. ..if provider distribute ip-adr not in «automatic IP» we will have disabled reserve LAN\WAN channel!!!(it is necessary to specify wan connection type for reserve LAN\WAN)
2) If the reserve channel is put via the USB modem, there is no transition to the main at its restoration(when the main channel becomes efficient);
3) whether it is possible to realize two reserve channels? Both through LAN\WAN and through USB? And as to point a priority to connection (first of all) when falling the main WAN?...:)
4) The most important for the reserve channel... method of determination of its not working capacity:
When on the account of provider money come to an end, service to us isn't available. And we have the disabled channel. In this regard one of methods of check of operability of the channel would be ping to the specified knot (which is set by the user). When the main channel can ping knot, we pass to the main channel…(it is good to unite a method which is also and method on an available resource)
Excuse for my English, we very much watch closely your updatings. Is Internet resource lostrealm.ca your (donate)?

Last edited:
Hello.

I just flashed this firmware being attracted by dual wan functionality mainly. Here is some feedback from me.

Failover is all i need and it seems to be working somewhat, but not completely. My primary connection is set to automatic ip and secondary to static ip (i plugged it into lan 4). If I unplug cable from wan port the switch over happens as it should and everything works just fine. But when I reconnect the cable back reverse switch doesn't happen, the secondary connection stays active forever and I can't find any way to switch back manually except rebooting router.

Also it's quite convenient to have some way to enable/disable primary and secondary connections separately through web interface (like it's done in chinese tomato dualwan firmware, for example). I hope it will be implented some day.

Hello.

I just flashed this firmware being attracted by dual wan functionality mainly. Here is some feedback from me.

Failover is all i need and it seems to be working somewhat, but not completely. My primary connection is set to automatic ip and secondary to static ip (i plugged it into lan 4). If I unplug cable from wan port the switch over happens as it should and everything works just fine. But when I reconnect the cable back reverse switch doesn't happen, the secondary connection stays active forever and I can't find any way to switch back manually except rebooting router.

Also it's quite convenient to have some way to enable/disable primary and secondary connections separately through web interface (like it's done in chinese tomato dualwan firmware, for example). I hope it will be implented some day.

Link recovery is something that Asus hasn't implemented yet AFAIK. The issue also occurs when using the regular 3G failover mode, so it's not specific to the Dual Wan code.

One way to manually recover could be to disable, then re-enable the WAN interface. This should hopefully trigger a restart of all WAN interfaces, without rebooting the entire router. Give it a try.

Once Asus officially enables Dual WAN in the router, I suggest you email them those feature requests if they haven't implemented yet at that time. Those might require a bit of code change, and since I can't test Dual WAN myself I'd rather not blindly mess with that code.

Good day!!!
Is it possible to expect adjustment on the following items?
1) Adjusting the reserve LAN\WAN channel we can't specify for it wan connection type. ..if provider distribute ip-adr not in «automatic IP» we will have disabled reserve LAN\WAN channel!!!(it is necessary to specify wan connection type for reserve LAN\WAN)
2) If the reserve channel is put via the USB modem, there is no transition to the main at its restoration(when the main channel becomes efficient);
3) whether it is possible to realize two reserve channels? Both through LAN\WAN and through USB? And as to point a priority to connection (first of all) when falling the main WAN?...:)
4) The most important for the reserve channel... method of determination of its not working capacity:
When on the account of provider money come to an end, service to us isn't available. And we have the disabled channel. In this regard one of methods of check of operability of the channel would be ping to the specified knot (which is set by the user). When the main channel can ping knot, we pass to the main channel…(it is good to unite a method which is also and method on an available resource)
Excuse for my English, we very much watch closely your updatings. Is Internet resource lostrealm.ca your (donate)?

The Dual WAN code is actually developed by Asus, and I'd rather not do any change to it since I have no way of actually testing those changes. Also, each new firmware release they make sees a lot of changes around that code, so I think it's still under active development by Asus. A lot can change with each new version related to Dual WAN, so any work I would do on that code might be wasted once the next version comes out.

Link recovery is probably the biggest missing feature at the moment to make Dual WAN really useful as a failover mechanism. I expect Asus to eventually implement it, since it's a pretty important part of any failover mechanism. If not, I recommend emailing them once they start releasing official firmware releases with Dual WAN enabled in them.

Yes, http://www.lostrealm.ca/ is my personal website, and the Paypal donate button there links to my account. :)

Asus just released a new firmware for the RT-AC66U (not the RT-N66U). 3.0.0.4.164 mentions that they fixed support for IPv6 with Comcast. Once they release the source code for 3.0.4.164 I will take a look at it. Most likely I will release RM12 based on 157, and jump on 164 for the next version. At that time I will also update the Git repository with all the work I haven't published due to the fact I was working with unreleased code.

Another interesting bit of 3.0.0.4.164 is they disabled AiCloud, saying the service won't launch until late August.

The Dual WAN code is actually developed by Asus, and I'd rather not do any change to it since I have no way of actually testing those changes. Also, each new firmware release they make sees a lot of changes around that code, so I think it's still under active development by Asus. A lot can change with each new version related to Dual WAN, so any work I would do on that code might be wasted once the next version comes out.

Link recovery is probably the biggest missing feature at the moment to make Dual WAN really useful as a failover mechanism. I expect Asus to eventually implement it, since it's a pretty important part of any failover mechanism. If not, I recommend emailing them once they start releasing official firmware releases with Dual WAN enabled in them.

Yes, http://www.lostrealm.ca/ is my personal website, and the Paypal donate button there links to my account. :)

You can test the dual wan link by using your N66U behind a "internet" connected router.

Link recovery is something that Asus hasn't implemented yet AFAIK. The issue also occurs when using the regular 3G failover mode, so it's not specific to the Dual Wan code.

One way to manually recover could be to disable, then re-enable the WAN interface. This should hopefully trigger a restart of all WAN interfaces, without rebooting the entire router. Give it a try.

Alas, it doesn't work. At least if I do it using web interface (not sure about console, i'm not comfortable with it anyway). I tried disabling and re-enabling connection using Connection status switch in the Internet status pane. It works kinda weird. Even if primary wan interface is active before I disable internet, when i reenable it secondary one becomes active (provided I wait a little). It seems link detection code continues its work even with disabled connections marking primary link as being down. So when interfaces go up, backup link is always active.

You can test the dual wan link by using your N66U behind a "internet" connected router.

Already tried that using my WRT310N, and it didn't like the weird routes that were showing up on the network when trying to go from the RT-N66U, to the WRT310N, and back to the RT-N66U to simulate a second connection.

init-start is run before all services. Your config is probably overwritten when the dnsmasq service starts.

Try using services-start instead of init-start, and make sure to also restart dnsmasq in that script after you modify the config file.

Sorry for asking :eek: but what's the command to restart dnsmasq?.

Sorry for asking :eek: but what's the command to restart dnsmasq?.

killall dnsmasq
dnsmasq -c 1500 --log-async -n

Note that this solution isn't bulletproof. Anytime the router will decide to restart dnsmasq on its own, it will overwrite the config file with its own.

Traffic Monitor seems to be broken when viewing Internet in beta 2+3?

Works for me. Make sure you click on the tab you wish to monitor (Internet / Wired / 2.4 G / 5 G).

http://s10.postimage.org/b6cwttrqx/Capture.png

As you can see after I flashed the beta the usage is bugged.
I guess its related

I can't reproduce the problem here. I just transferred 2 GB between two computers and the usage stayed the same. Then I downloaded 100 MB from the Internet, and my counter correctly increased by a bit over 100 MB.

Try erasing your traffic data through the Tools -> Other Settings menu then rebooting in case your data file has been corrupted. Then try transferring files on your LAN, then from the Internet, and see which one increases your usage, and by what amount.

Anyone else can confirm whether it is working correctly (or not) for them? The traffic monitor code hasn't changed in weeks, so I'd be surprised if there was any new issue there.

Traffic manager seems to be working fine here.

Not sure whats up but some times I can't get access using my ddns hostname, most of the time it's alright.

If my external IP has changed it gets updated by the ddns cliente on the router as expected but for some reason it dosen't get resolved by the router properly when trying to access the router remotly or my ftp server.

If I ping my hostname from a windows laptop it answers and it resolves my external IP address and with that I can get access fine.

If I resave the settings on the ddns menu tab system log outputs this:

Jul 24 00:51:10 notify_rc : restart_ddns
Jul 24 00:51:10 ddns: IP address & hostname have not changed since the last update.

But it still times out when using my hostname but maybe in 10/20 minutes it'll work.

FWIW I've had this strange behaviour on Tomatousb for a long time too so maybe it's a problem with the ddns cliente or a problem on my end.

Last edited:

try naming removing the ".startup" from the end of the script name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!