What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Public_key_authentication_with_ssh

The public key is what needs to be pasted on the router. It will look somewhat like this:

The private key will be what you use to authenticate yourself (check your client's instructions if not using a Linux command prompt to connect to the router).

If you already have a private/public keypair, then yes you can reuse it.

thank you. this worked like a charm. Its funny how rusty the brain gets for some things. appreciate it.

That path is incorrect. It should be /mnt/sda1/ (and don't forget the trailing slash).

Thanks I had the wrong path indeed, however it was not /mnt/sda1, I looked at the output of df -k and took the path of the USB hard drive and that seemed to have worked.

Actual the path was /tmp/mnt/WD_500/

now the only question is how do I view the contents of the zip file that it generates ?

Last edited:
Thanks I had the wrong path indeed, however it was not /mnt/sda1, I looked at the output of df -k and took the path of the USB hard drive and that seemed to have worked.

Actual the path was /tmp/mnt/WD_500/

now the only question is how do I view the contents of the zip file that it generates ?

It's in binary format. The data is what is used when you use the Traffic Monitor on the webui:

http://192.168.1.1/Main_TrafficMonitor_daily.asp (and also _monthly.asp).

.162 source code is up.

Merlin,

If you already had a glance does this also have CFE source like for the AC?

Thanks

.162 source code is up.

Merlin,

If you already had a glance does this also have CFE source like for the AC?

Thanks

Getting 25 KB/s from their Taiwanese FTP. That 3 hours+ download won't be completed tonight LOL

Current plan is to rebase my code on build 162, upgrade it to 164 if there are any significant differences that would apply to the RT-N66U, then release something sometime this week. I don't plan on doing any other change over 157.12, so this next release won't require such a long betatest period - the new NAT loopback code looks solid now. That should annoy the naysayers who like to bash on my project or Tomato claiming we are just silly experiments in perpetual beta...

Re. CFE, I'm not even sure they included the complete, buildable CFE sources in the AC66U release. I had the exact same code in the 157 tarball Asus sent me, so this looks like generic, not device-specific code. In any case I'll let the DD-WRT folks have fun with that, the firmware itself is enough to keep me quite occupied these days.

Getting 25 KB/s from their Taiwanese FTP. That 3 hours+ download won't be completed tonight LOL

Current plan is to rebase my code on build 162, upgrade it to 164 if there are any significant differences that would apply to the RT-N66U, then release something sometime this week. I don't plan on doing any other change over 157.12, so this next release won't require such a long betatest period - the new NAT loopback code looks solid now. That should annoy the naysayers who like to bash on my project or Tomato claiming we are just silly experiments in perpetual beta...

Re. CFE, I'm not even sure they included the complete, buildable CFE sources in the AC66U release. I had the exact same code in the 157 tarball Asus sent me, so this looks like generic, not device-specific code. In any case I'll let the DD-WRT folks have fun with that, the firmware itself is enough to keep me quite occupied these days.

Sounds like a good plan ;)

This is a little faster:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N66U_B1/GPL_RT_N66U_B1_3003162.zip

That should annoy the naysayers who like to bash on my project or Tomato claiming we are just silly experiments in perpetual beta...

The naysayers can rot in whatever crap they are running. For me at least, your project has been a God send and even better than tomato.

OP updated with 3.0.0.3.162.13. Thanks everyone who provided feedback and test reports on the 157.12 beta versions, those were very helpful in insuring a quick transition to this new stable release!

Asus has done a LOT Of fixes on their end since their last official non-beta release (build 108). The memory leak fixes for IPv6, support for Comcast's native IPv6, just to name two noteworthy ones. Make sure to also check their release notes (I posted the link in the first post, and someone also reposted them here on these forums).

On my end, 162.13 doesn't really bring any change since the last 157.12 beta. I consolidated the beta notes in the first post, so if you are coming from build 144, make sure to also check the 157.12.

A few additional notes:
  1. This build has 64 KB nvram enabled. Asus's release does NOT, so be warned that switching between my release and theirs will cause ALL your settings to be wiped out.
  2. AiCloud is not enabled. Asus won't be launching the service until late August, so there is no point in enabling it in the firmware at this point, as some features would simply not work, and the iOS/Android clients aren't available yet.
  3. I looked at the 3.0.0.3.164 sources for the AC66U, and the only change was specific to that router, so nothing that would apply to the RT-N66U.

Last edited:
Great work there, Merlin. You have done wonders with the code from Asus.

I might have spotted one issue though. I don't know the exact build where this was OK (it was certainly fine on 144.RM11), but the link for 3G/WiMax no longer works on 162.13. From the USB option it links to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_Modem_Content.asp but eventually ends up on http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp (did Asus change the destination page on a later build?)

Last edited:
Anyone else unable to monitor their temps with Merlin's latest 162 build? The performance page is static.

I found that to be the case with earlier builds (the first Merlin build that I loaded was 144.11 and it was not working for me on that one).

Last edited:
Nope, Cooler Status graph is empty, and it was not working on 144.11 Merlin build either. It was not working for me on the stock 112 build from Asus either.

I am sure that I read a comment from Merlin somewhere that indicated that as the temp was originally for the early unit with a fan, the ASUS code is a bit flakey and needs some work, and that he might just remove it in a later build (apologies to Merlin if I have got that wrong)

Last edited:
Great work there, Merlin. You have done wonders with the code from Asus.

I might have spotted one issue though. I don't know the exact build where this was OK (it was certainly fine on 144.RM11), but the link for 3G/WiMax no longer works on 162.13. From the USB option it links to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_Modem_Content.asp but eventually ends up on http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp (did Asus change the destination page on a later build?)

You have to enable Dual WAN first. Then, the page on which you land will have a dropdown gadget letting you chose which interface to configure - in your case you will then be able to select USB.

I agree that it's not very intuitive. I might change a bit how it works in the future.

Nope, Cooler Status graph is empty, and it was not working on 144.11 Merlin build either. It was not working for me on the stock 112 build from Asus either.

I am sure that I read a comment from Merlin somewhere that indicated that as the temp was originally for the early unit with a fan, the ASUS code is a bit flakey and needs some work, and that he might just remove it in a later build (apologies to Merlin if I have got that wrong)

The temperature monitoring relies on the radios to obtain that info. If you disable a wifi radio, then the router will be unable to retrieve the temperature. It causes invalid Javascript code to be generated, breaking the whole temperature monitoring page.

I'm also unsure if those temperature are even accurate. When poking at the hardware, I saw a 15 degrees difference depending on how I retrieved the temperature. So I will most likely drop that page in a future version, maybe just add a single temperature value to the planned sysinfo page (assuming I can determine which temperature is even accurate).

You have to enable Dual WAN first. Then, the page on which you land will have a dropdown gadget letting you chose which interface to configure - in your case you will then be able to select USB.
Ah, that explains it then. Sorry.

I agree that it's not very intuitive. I might change a bit how it works in the future.
That would be good.

Last edited:
Merlin, I have a problem with your firmware: using games on xbox live, I see lag during games to Halo, while using the original asus firmware, everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!