What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - Custom firmware for RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for look up table - dBm = 10 * log10(mW)
or mW = 10^(dBm/10)
personally I would start with 20mW, which allows two steps of 3dB to get to 80mW, no need for quarter dB or playing around with the odd mW.

No need for look up table - dBm = 10 * log10(mW)
or mW = 10^(dBm/10)
personally I would start with 20mW, which allows two steps of 3dB to get to 80mW, no need for quarter dB or playing around with the odd mW.

Just saying what Asus does in the firmware, I didn't write that part :)

You get bigger numbers in mW, and marketing folk like bigger numbers espeically hard-disk and wireless network suppliers!

Looks like the driver works internally in dB, and antennae gain is specified in dB, but due to conversions and rounding if you ask for 80mW you get 79mW, so maybe someone at Aus has tried to fix that!

I have made some progress in understanding my dual-wan issues, when internet connection broken its not the first link, so Asus router still has good connection to half-bridge modem. Maybe this is why Chinese dual-wan has ping script where a ping target out on the internet can be specified in the web gui. I don't see any messages from wanduck, is there a way to make it more verbose? If not I will have to wait for the next Asus source-code release!

Updated OP with 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta 2.

The big changes in this version are the new NAT loopback code, and Dual WAN being enabled (experimentally) for the RT-N16. Please give this a good test run, especially regarding the Dual WAN feature.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that output power control was also manually enabled for the RT-N16. I'll need feedback on whether it's working or not.

Do we just update firmware and all the settings will stick?

Or export config, restore defaults, upgrade, restore defaults, import config?

Or restore defaults, upgrade, restore defaults, input settings manually? ( please no :p )

Do we just update firmware and all the settings will stick?

Or export config, restore defaults, upgrade, restore defaults, import config?

Or restore defaults, upgrade, restore defaults, input settings manually? ( please no :p )

If coming from a firmware that has a version of 3.0.0.3.xxx then just flash mine on top of it. There was no change related to settings storage.

You get bigger numbers in mW, and marketing folk like bigger numbers espeically hard-disk and wireless network suppliers!

Looks like the driver works internally in dB, and antennae gain is specified in dB, but due to conversions and rounding if you ask for 80mW you get 79mW, so maybe someone at Aus has tried to fix that!

I have made some progress in understanding my dual-wan issues, when internet connection broken its not the first link, so Asus router still has good connection to half-bridge modem. Maybe this is why Chinese dual-wan has ping script where a ping target out on the internet can be specified in the web gui. I don't see any messages from wanduck, is there a way to make it more verbose? If not I will have to wait for the next Asus source-code release!

As I was mentionning, Asus uses a table to convert the power output into a qdb value. Check this post where I reposted a portion of the table they use.

For wanduck, try killing it (killall wanduck), and restarting it through telnet. Keep that terminal open, and see if it outputs any additional information in the terminal as the connection state changes.

If coming from a firmware that has a version of 3.0.0.3.xxx then just flash mine on top of it. There was no change related to settings storage.

OK, cool, I'm using your 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta release.

So I'll just simply flash it with latest one, and no setting should change hopefully?

So, if you release a new fw that requires to restore defaults before and after flashing, and settings need to be re done manually, or cannot be imported from current fw, do you usually mention this in the post?

And if you don't mention anything, does that mean one can just flash on top and/or backup current config and import after flashing?

Thanks

OK, cool, I'm using your 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta release.

So I'll just simply flash it with latest one, and no setting should change hopefully?

So, if you release a new fw that requires to restore defaults before and after flashing, and settings need to be re done manually, or cannot be imported from current fw, do you usually mention this in the post?

And if you don't mention anything, does that mean one can just flash on top and/or backup current config and import after flashing?

I'll always mention it if it's required. The only time this actually happened was with build 144 on the RT-N66U, as it was bumping nvram to 64 KB, causing all settings to be lost.

There are some exceptions where you might be better wiping your settings. For example, when making a large version jump (especially backward).

Importing from a backup in such cases is a bad idea, as you would simply re-apply the problematic settings. So when a wipe is specifically required, you have to manually re-enter settings (either through the webui, or by manually using "nvram set setting=value" over telnet, using settings you first saved by running "nvram show" before wiping).

I took a look at the power output control. At a first glance, the lookup table is only used on the RT-N66U. On all other routers, the firmware simply runs this command with whatever value is set at boot time:

wl -i ifname txpwr1 -o -q -1

(where ifname is the interface name)

So all it does is set it to the default value, ignoring whatever setting you have in nvram. I'll take a closer look and see about having it actually apply nvram settings.

Last edited:
What kernel version is ASUS software based on ?
Comand: uname -a

octopus

Last edited:
What kernel version is ASUS software based on ?
Comand: uname -a

octopus

2.6.22.19, with a few patches backported from newer kernels.

Updated OP with Beta 3.

This new beta contains fixes for the new NAT Loopback code, as well as code that should apply the power settings set on the webui.

Again, I will need you guys to test that for me. Try setting the output power to a very small value (such as 10 mw) through the web interface, and see if it does indeed reduce your signal strength considerably.

Is it possible to include a way to allow access to intranet for specific guests?
For example if I have 3 devices connected to guest wifi, but I only want one to access intranet, maybe by a drop down box of already connected devices?

If not, possibility to add more than one guest network?

Also, is there a way to hide or disable the router showing up in the network window of windows?

About the power, I just tried setting it to 1mw, but the bars on the laptop stayed full, but its in the same room as router :p I'll try again when I move it to another room, or is there a special app one can see precisely how strong the signal is to the laptop?

Is it possible to include a way to allow access to intranet for specific guests?
For example if I have 3 devices connected to guest wifi, but I only want one to access intranet, maybe by a drop down box of already connected devices?

Not simple to implement I'm afraid.

If not, possibility to add more than one guest network?

That must be a limitation of the RT-N16, because the RT-N66U allows for multiple guest networks.

Also, is there a way to hide or disable the router showing up in the network window of windows?

That's a functionality of Windows, where it will show UPNP devices that are on the network.

About the power, I just tried setting it to 1mw, but the bars on the laptop stayed full, but its in the same room as router :p I'll try again when I move it to another room, or is there a special app one can see precisely how strong the signal is to the laptop?

Download inSSIDer. That tool will report actual signal strength.

Hi Merlin,
I was looking at the tools - other settings page on the RT-N16 and saw the TCP connections limit. I saw it was set to eight thousand and something and that the default next to it was 300,00. When changing it the router starting dropping the wireless connections every few seconds( or pherhaps it kept rebooting ) the interface would stop responding frequently and other weird things.

Is this making any sense?

I managed to change it to 8000 now and all seems to be fine so far. Is there a reason it should be set so low and not on 300,000 ? Is there an advantage to a max TCP connections limit about 8000 ?

ty

The default value is for the RT-N66U (I forgot to take into account the RT-N16 when I added support for it).

To be honest, I'm not sure how one could even achieve 300,000 connections when socket numbering stops at 65535. I guess that's marketing at work :)

In any case, 8000 or 16000 should be fine for most people. I'll just remove the default reference from the page.

Version 3.0.0.3.162
Description ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.3.162
Fix bugs:
1. UI related bugs
2. Network map cannot show device name.
3. QoS control for wired connected devices.
4. Special character name/password issue in VPN server.
5. Download master installing issue in AP mode.
6. PPPoE compatibility issue.
7. L2TP compatibility issue.
8. Sonos audio system and network map compatibility issue. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.
9. IPv6 6in4 memory leak
10.IPTV multicast related issues
11.FTP/Samba account change issue

Modified
1. Enable cross night setting in wireless radio on/off setting page.
2. Enable Beceem Wimax support.
3. Change default wireless security to WPA-AES in QIS.
4. Add Spanish language.
5. Modify VPN server UI.
6. Tune IPv6 connection for ComCast
7. Upgrade 3G profile

Download master 3.1.0.59
1. BT cache size changed to 256KB
2. Support crosse night schedule setting
3. Show amulle server connection status
4. Modify the HDD free space detection behavior
5. Fix download master association tool connection issue
6. Fix the torrent file add problem when changed the download directory
7. Modify the downloading task refresh process

Download master association tool 2.0.3.3
1. Support manget link and ed2k on Google Chrome, Firefox, IE
2. Fix the manget link association issue on Win7 64bit IE9
3. Fix the ed2k download issue on IE

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)&os=8

I still waiting ASUS_RTN16_3003162_RM13, may I ask when will be release ? :)

I've been waiting for additional feedback regarding the power settings option, since I don't have an RT-N16 to test it myself. If I don't have any additional feedback this weekend I'll release RM13 with the code as it is.

I've been waiting for additional feedback regarding the power settings option, since I don't have an RT-N16 to test it myself. If I don't have any additional feedback this weekend I'll release RM13 with the code as it is.

Thank a lot!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!