What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin vs DD-WRT in a RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

videobruce

Occasional Visitor
I was debating just how to ask this w/o getting blasted for doing so since this is a Merlin forum.

I picked up this Router to possible replace a slightly older TP-Link WRD-3600 (running dd-wrt) that I had issues with, but at this time all is well (which is another story, not for here).
I choose this over the AC66U version since wireless isn't that important to me. Most of what I have (which is little) is wired. There are enough problems with Networking, I have no interest to add to them by going the 'lazy' way of wireless.

Anyway, I have read the comparison in the sticky on how the Asuswrt-Merlin is different from Asus's stock firmware. I haven't seen the pros and cons of Merlin vs dd-wrt other than Merlins is more custom made and 'stable' for Asus routers vs dd-wrt is very broad based, one size fits all (kinda of) and can have more issues which is understandable.

I would like to try this F/W first, but I'm looking NOT to have issues removing it (if I choose) to replace it with dd-wrt or vice-a-versa. The reset, reboot etc procedure with both is confusing as I know it can be specific to each model.

Some of the reading I've done has contradictions galore between threads and within a single thread which makes me gun-shy to a point.

One thing I wouild like to see, which I haven't found are screen shots of this F/W GUI. I'm not a 'command line' guy, so the GUI is very important.

Thanks in advance.

As you have read the Asuswrt-Merlin sticky you will realise that the interface of Asuswrt-Merlin is the same as that of stock Asus firmware. That is the raison d'etre of the firmware, to stay as close as possible to the original. There are a few additional screens where Merlin has added extra features, but the look and feel is the same.

Which firmware is better for you would depend on what specific features are important to you.

End of year 2017 development update (Read the first post of this thread)

Unfortunately, to keep the project at a manageable level for a lone developer, I have decided to drop active support for the older MIPS platform, which means the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U. These will keep getting security/major fixes through the 380 legacy branch for at least a few months, but eventually they will be completely dropped. The decision to drop these two specific models was due to a few reasons:

For your basic router needs John's fork will work great with the N66U! Use the Legacy version of you are not worried about the Krack fix...

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

well, I got my N66 precisely because of the Merlin F/W and how well it worked on my N16. I had spent a lot of time with DD-wrt with my prior asus routers (520GU, GC, RT10+). Load up the Merlin and don't look back.

As you have read the Asuswrt-Merlin sticky you will realise that the interface of Asuswrt-Merlin is the same as that of stock Asus firmware. That is the raison d'etre of the firmware, to stay as close as possible to the original. There are a few additional screens where Merlin has added extra features, but the look and feel is the same.

Which firmware is better for you would depend on what specific features are important to you.

I am not familiar with ASUSWRT at all...so this may be another one of those stupid questions. Since it is based on DD-WRTcan I load the backup from a DD-WRT setup to ASUSWRT? I am getting the A66U B1 and i am hoping that I can to save some time on the setup. I am replacing an older Buffalo router as the switch on it doesn't seem to be autoswitching to the gigabit setting on it :-( I r was a good router, but it is getting a bit old. Thanks in advance!!

I am not familiar with ASUSWRT at all...so this may be another one of those stupid questions. Since it is based on DD-WRTcan I load the backup from a DD-WRT setup to ASUSWRT? I am getting the A66U B1 and i am hoping that I can to save some time on the setup. I am replacing an older Buffalo router as the switch on it doesn't seem to be autoswitching to the gigabit setting on it :-( I r was a good router, but it is getting a bit old. Thanks in advance!!
No, it will not work. After you flash it with whatever firmware, you need to reset to defaults and manually configure it.

Restoring for a backup is asking for trouble

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Asuswrt was originally based on Tomato.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!