What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-merlin 384.4 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT-AC87U - All systems go! Did an upgrade from 380.69_2 and everything seemed to work fine with previous configuration (custom VPN server good, port forwarding good, Manual DHCP Assignment good, all settings seemed fine and nothing bad for ~30 minutes of operation).

Decided to follow this guidance any how just to be sure:

Only point that isn't clear is that there are two "Factory default" options in settings, and neither of them are "reset". One is "Restore" and the other is "Initialize". Which of these are we supposed to do? Went with Initialized since it sounded a bit more thorough, but not sure here.

Thanks for putting in the time to support the 87, really appreciate it.
Initialize is the answer you seek.

I like Merlin features. Does it support AiMesh?
If upgrading from stock (but latest) Asus firmware, should I reset both AC88U and AC86U?

AC87U. DLNA is a bit flaky. It disconnects randomly. Is does not find all of the files/folders. Some folders appear only after I modify the name on the disk.

Here is something I saw very frequently in my syslog with 384.3 on my AC86U. I saw over 50 kernel: eth_ DOWN/UP in about 24 hours. I just got the AC86U two days ago and installed AsusWRT Merlin before I ever put the router online, and configured from scratch using screen captures from my AC68U for refernce.

I updated to 384.4 beta 1 about three hours ago and have not see that kernel: eth_ DOWN/UP entry even a single time.

I did not see what solved this in the changelog, but very happy to see these gone. Thank you for the fix.

Code:
Mar  3 07:46:23 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Mar  3 07:46:26 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Mar  3 07:47:06 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.

i saw a few of these, once a day on 1 or 2 ports, have not seen any in the last few days since the update. no changes in system or wiring. i was only seeing like 1 up/down
New 86u here also.

Mar 2 05:35:08 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Mar 2 05:35:12 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

not sure how these are numbered, but my modem, and main pc is gig, other 1 is 100 and last is a tv at 100 not active most times.

Umm... WTF is this?

QbsM5Jh.png

I tried to update the firmware from 384.4_beta1 to Kille'72 latest Tomato build since I'm using the router as a simple AP now (with a pfSense box as the actual router) and VLAN capability is more important to me than anything else. If, as the warning suggests, I'm now blocked from ever going back or using Tomato, that would be TERRIBLE. Please tell me there is a work around for this (if not, there needs to be super clear warnings on the new builds).

Umm... WTF is this?

QbsM5Jh.png

I tried to update the firmware from 384.4_beta1 to Kille'72 latest Tomato build since I'm using the router as a simple AP now (with a pfSense box as the actual router) and VLAN capability is more important to me than anything else. If, as the warning suggests, I'm now blocked from ever going back or using Tomato, that would be TERRIBLE. Please tell me there is a work around for this (if not, there needs to be super clear warnings on the new builds).
I think you need to use the asus firmware restoration utility.

i saw a few of these, once a day on 1 or 2 ports, have not seen any in the last few days since the update. no changes in system or wiring. i was only seeing like 1 up/down
New 86u here also.

Mar 2 05:35:08 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Mar 2 05:35:12 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

I've been seeing this message also (though eth4 is not plugged in - eth1 is, so I'm assuming the firmware is giving a reverse output to the printed labels). Wasn't there on 382 firmware (A86U), but appeared on 384 alpha and the beta.

No impact on connectivity that I've noticed, though, so it's not a problem more than simply an annoyance or something in the logs that you'd prefer to not see. Eth1 is plugged in to a 24/7 media centre PC, for what it's worth, and I haven't picked up any complaints from that machine (though I haven't checked the PC logs).

In fairness I'm running the ASUS RT-AC87 382 build and that isn't great with DLNA either...
DLNA on 380.69_2 was rock solid. The only necessary thing to make it solid is swap. Without swap it would drop once per day.

Unfortunately still missing IPSEC :-( Any chance to see it on this old but solid machine ?

Will have to come from Asus, as the code is incompatible with precompiled binary components.

Umm... WTF is this?

QbsM5Jh.png

Use Asus's firmware recovery procedure. Asus tried to get in touch with the Tomato devs years ago to ensure their firmware would be compatible with the new firmware validation scheme, but the Tomato devs never implemented it.

Hey guys im starting to get way more technical on this than i had ever planned lol. Is there a way i can view/edit the firewall-start file? I think i know how i could add lines to it from freahJR’s stuff but id like to view contents of it at least in putty maybe?

id like to view contents of it at least in putty maybe?

To view the contents;

Code:
cat /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

To edit it with an editor like nano (a quick google will teach you the basics how to use nano once editing);

Code:
nano -w /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

To view the contents;

Code:
cat /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

To edit it with an editor like nano (a quick google will teach you the basics how to use nano once editing);

Code:
nano -w /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

ty adam about to check that out now :)

Did a clean install on RT-AC3200 and everything seems to work perfect.
Only one strange problem: i have some Broadlink home automatisation devices that seem to loose connection randomly for several hours. After that period they are back to normal only to loose connection some time later.. the story continues. In the log i only see a lot of:
DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.104 34:ea:34:xx2:xx:xx Broadlink_EAIR-xx-xx-xx.
Reserved the 104 address in DHCP but to no avail. Any thoughts?

This is why I remain an Eternal Optimist

I noticed a Beta 2 build for the AC88U in the Test Builds folder - and thought I would give it a shot.

Guess what? The Astrill Router applet is now working!! DNS resolution works.

Not sure if this was intended, but bottom line, it works :)

Umm... WTF is this?

QbsM5Jh.png
I saw that when I tried updating from official Asus to Merlin firmware on my 3200. I managed to install an older Merlin, then updated to latest at the time (which may have been an alpha). I meant to post here at the time as I also thought it was a wtf moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!