What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-merlin 384.4 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
but now, I am highly dissapointed that high-class router RT-AC5300 is constantly beaten by low or middle-class Rt-AC86..maybe it is a time to say 'good bye' to 5300 and buy something like RT-AC86?

The RT-AC5300 primary function is to add a third wifi interface. The RT-AC86U is one year newer, on a completely new architecture. It only has two wifi radios, its 2.4 GHz radio is only three-stream versus the RT-AC5300`s four-stream, so we can't say that one is globally better than the other - they just have different features. The RT-AC5300 is better for wifi, but the RT-AC86U is better for CPU-intensive tasks.

After merging with 16466 code, I couldn't see the log in syslog page anymore.
I reverted sd-idle-2.6.c file to older version manually..
I never learned computer language, so I just guess printf make message in shell only.

What version did you revert sd-idle-2.6 to?

Cheers,
D.

RMerlin, I finally got rid of traditional QoS and adaptive working for my needs with FreshJR's script. But I noticed one thing: With traditional the wan overhead presets are available with sfq, codel and fq_codel but with adaptive this dropdown is missing with sfq and only available with codel and fq_codel. Please excuse me if this had already been mentioned but maybe the dropdown could be added for sfq in adaptive mode also?

At all, everything is completely stable, even dual-wan is working. Perfect so far, thank you very much for your great work. :)

Chris

Please excuse me if this had already been mentioned but maybe the dropdown could be added for sfq in adaptive mode also?

This is by design. I want sfq mode to be Adaptive QoS without any modification at all. Implementing it with Adaptive QoS would be tricky, since I cannot control rule generation.

Beside, that overhead value is more trouble than it's worth. If I were to do it again, I would not have added that setting.

Ok, thank you for clarification RMerlin. Well, at least in my circumstance it works great with real bandwidth values (40/10) and overhead settings for PPPoE VDSL (without overhead I have to lower the entered bandwidth values of course), but I don't know the backgrounds which could do more trouble then worth so at least for me it's great that you added it. :)

Best wishes,
Chris

btw... since sd–idle was merged to ASUS' I don't see the "spinning up xxxx after yyyy" messages in the general log... I've tried several log levels but I just don't see the messages when my disks spin up or down.

Does anybody know if these messages are actually logged anymore? I'd like to know when my HD's spin up or down by reading the log just to make sure my HDD's are not spinning up in the middle of the night for some reason... (HDD firmware for example).

Thanks.

D.

Asus has indeed replaced all logging calls with console output. While it makes sense for some of these, there are indeed a few useful pieces of information that should still be sent to syslog. I'll try to have a pass over them.

Hi RMerlin!
Regarding the problem in here, can anything be done to solve the issue?

I have updated one of my AC86U routers to 384.4 Beta but it didn't helped. For now, AC87U and AC68U is showing all the clients in Network Map with their names and manufacturer icons, while AC86U doesn't, and only shows the MAC's. Except for other Asus routers.
I have also noticed something beeing broken on AC86U. On my old AC87U, in the Network Map, when a device had a webpage (like routers do), the IP would become an URL link, so i could go directly to the administration page on that device. Now, no client has that.

Thanks in advance!

Asus has indeed replaced all logging calls with console output. While it makes sense for some of these, there are indeed a few useful pieces of information that should still be sent to syslog. I'll try to have a pass over them.

Thank you RMerlin, really appreciate the effort!

Cheers,
D.

Is anyone else running this firmware on the AC3200? Finding it stable?

I am.... It looks as if my router has failed again - previously this happened before I did a full reset, but this time it's happened afterwards. Since I'm away from home I only know it's not pingable, vpn not responding, the cable model is up, and my son confirms no internet access over wired or wireless. I'll look once home

Prior to the reset I had the same issue with the latest official fw, so it may well not be merlin specific....

This is ASUS RT-AC86U router with 384.4 Beat 1 firmware. If I go to Tools - SysInfo HW acceleration shows Runner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled (this is with QoS off). Now if I click on Adaptive QoS (I just go there, don't turn anything on or off), then go back to Tools - SysInfo, it now shows Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Enabled and the log file shows:

Mar 5 18:16:42 kernel: ^[[0;33;45mBroadcom Packet Flow Cache HW acceleration disabled.^[[0m
Mar 5 18:16:42 kernel: Disabled Runner binding to Flow Cache
Mar 5 18:16:42 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/detector with major 190
Mar 5 18:16:42 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_max = 8000
Mar 5 18:16:42 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_timeout = 300 sec
Mar 5 18:16:43 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 3529123_patch
Mar 5 18:16:43 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.14 r3529123
Mar 5 18:16:43 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Mar 5 18:16:43 kernel: IDPfw: flush fc
Mar 5 18:16:43 kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Mar 5 18:16:43 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280

For some reason Runner gets disabled just by going to Adaptive QoS. I know runner gets disabled if you turn QoS on, but I never turn it on, it's off. The only way I know to get Runner enabled again is to Reboot the Router or go to Adaptive QoS and turn on QoS, then turn off QoS.

Is this a bug? Also, anyway to turn Runner back on without Reboot or turning QoS on then off? Not sure if this happened before 384.4 Beta 1 as I just now noticed it.

Thanks

384.4 Beta 2 is now available:

Code:
86e369d Updated documentation
b14a3a2 sd-idle: re-add some of the logging Asus removed
d511ea1 rc: miniupnpd: re-add miniupnpd restart on first ntp sync, but move it after a 15 secs wait
b88d171 build: copy-prebuilt: fix casing for some models
5751f66 upnp: do not restart miniupnpd on ntp initial sync
b776c8e build: copy-prebuilt: fix bwdpi path; make model checks lower-case to be similar to build-all
8f0b0ed rc: remove another function that does not exist in pre-379 binary blobs
4ce0273 rc: revert check_asus_jffs(() calls from GPL 20379 as it does not exist in older binary blobs
8c15ab0 qos: streamline faketc script
590645e Refresh RT-AC88U binary blobs from (real) GPL 20379
7199d17 Revert some of the 20379 changes specific to the RT-AC68U (which still uses 20308 binary blobs)
ee01a16 Merge with GPL 384_20379 (last GPL merge was actually 384_20309 - wrong GPL tarball was used)
b3749f8 Updated documentation
04d75a0 rc: fix tab spacing (to sync with GPL)
1bc2658 firewall: remove Merlin NAT loopback
a63b156 Revert "cfgsync: move cert generation to a dedicated script, and generate it at service launch"
a2ada4e wps: update RT-AC3200 WPS monitor with exe extracted from firmware release (was missing from GPL)
be8d911 letsencrypt: enabled support for RT-AC86U
17131cb letsencrypt: separated libs into platform-specific folders, added HND version from GT-AC5300 GPL
2443497 Bumped revision to beta 2
75c3bce webui: accept single-char hostnames in validator.hostName() (closes #71)

Hi RMerlin!
Regarding the problem in here, can anything be done to solve the issue?

I have updated one of my AC86U routers to 384.4 Beta but it didn't helped. For now, AC87U and AC68U is showing all the clients in Network Map with their names and manufacturer icons, while AC86U doesn't, and only shows the MAC's. Except for other Asus routers.
I have also noticed something beeing broken on AC86U. On my old AC87U, in the Network Map, when a device had a webpage (like routers do), the IP would become an URL link, so i could go directly to the administration page on that device. Now, no client has that.

Thanks in advance!

Networkmap is now closed source, and outside of my control.

384.4 Beta 2 installed effortlessly over beta1.
All clients connect (wired & wireless).

RMerlin as always, Thank You for Your Great Work and Effort!

EDIT:

Router current up time 20hrs 45mins, the only issue I have noticed is to confirm Site Survey problem (@scjr post #227)

Last edited:

I am.... It looks as if my router has failed again - previously this happened before I did a full reset, but this time it's happened afterwards. Since I'm away from home I only know it's not pingable, vpn not responding, the cable model is up, and my son confirms no internet access over wired or wireless. I'll look once home

Prior to the reset I had the same issue with the latest official fw, so it may well not be merlin specific....

I've been running 384.4_beta1 on my AC3200 without issue - getting ready to upload _beta2 now...

Installed 384.4 beta 1 on my RT-AC68U. Full factory reset, memory wipe. Tried my normal VLAN script that makes LAN port 4 a VLAN port with a separate subnet and DHCP server. It works just fine in RT-AC68U_380.69_2.trx. Unfortunately on this build, this doesn't work.
#!/bin/sh
# lan ports 1-3 assigned to vlan1, 3 tagged and untagged traffic supported
robocfg vlan 1 ports "1 2 3t 5t"
# port 4 to vlan20 - will tag untagged packets with VLAN20, port 3 can ingest pre-tagged traffic
robocfg vlan 20 ports "3t 4 5t"
# add vlan 20 to eth0
vconfig add eth0 20
# give VLAN 20 an IP address to act as gateway for subnet
ifconfig vlan20 192.168.85.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

After putting those lines in, normally I can setup a static IP on a PC of 192.168.85.2 and ping 85.1 on LAN 4. The commands are accepted ok, but the port doesn't respond to anything. Anyone know of a change in the new code that makes robocfg behave different?

Answered my own question. Was missing ifconfig vlan20 up in configuration script. Not sure how it vanished, but putting that in, power cycling, things work.

AC3200 here and everything is working fine with 384 .

For some reason Runner gets disabled just by going to Adaptive QoS

It's true. Just clicking Adaptive QoS page make runner disabled.
It happen when only initial boot :S
But I don't care about that because I stick to Ai Protection.

384.4 Beta 2 is now available:

Code:
b14a3a2 sd-idle: re-add some of the logging Asus removed

Great, thanks. I flashed my router with this version, it all appears to be working fine except for one thing:

When disk drives spin down the message says the opposite: "Spinning up /dev/sdx", when the disk drives spin up, no message is shown...

Thank you once again for supporting the 87u and all your great work.

Cheers,
D.

Never seen this message in the syslog before, but good old David S can be blamed for every one of the bugs:
Code:
Feb 14 01:00:11 kernel: All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!