What's new

BETA RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_235 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

greggy101

Regular Contributor
Received this beta .374.235 firmware just yesterday from a nice employee of Asus. Tested it on my AC68U - works great!
Feel free to try it out - remember it's a beta version.

http://ul.to/ohk6e38h

with OPEN System, there is a WEP encryption under it, could you check if it shows none, or you can also choose 64bit and 128 bit?
I can setup WEP encryption in 205 with OPEN System, and there are 3 choices "none, 128bit and 64bit"

with OPEN System, there is a WEP encryption under it, could you check if it shows none, or you can also choose 64bit and 128 bit?
I can setup WEP encryption in 205 with OPEN System, and there are 3 choices "none, 128bit and 64bit"

Under "OPEN System" the encryption option is "NONE"
There is nothing else.
I was under impression that this is the correct setting - since you are leaving it open - why would you need an encryption. Under OPEN you are basically restricting your guest to access intranet only + you can give time access.

I think this is how asus design 205:
under open system, you can set up WEP encryption to "none", "64bit" or "128bit".
I can see this feature in 205 and initial FW. However, I notice this WEP encryption is gone in 217 build, Merlin build and 235 build.
In additon, this WEP encryption is also gone in regular 2.4G and 5G wireless setting, so I guess Asus is trying to get rid of WEP encryption and keep WPA and WPA2.
Here is the screen shot I saved in 205 build, and you could see there are WEP 64bit and 128bit.

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 477
I think this is how asus design 205:
under open system, you can set up WEP encryption to "none", "64bit" or "128bit".
I can see this feature in 205 and initial FW. However, I notice this WEP encryption is gone in 217 build, Merlin build and 235 build.
In additon, this WEP encryption is also gone in regular 2.4G and 5G wireless setting, so I guess Asus is trying to get rid of WEP encryption and keep WPA and WPA2.
Here is the screen shot I saved in 205 build, and you could see there are WEP 64bit and 128bit.

Yes, you are correct.
But I still don't get it. Why there is a need for any encryption under OPEN?
Have you considered this setting in 205 as a bug? ;)

Yes, you are correct.
But I still don't get it. Why there is a need for any encryption under OPEN?
Have you considered this setting in 205 as a bug? ;)

Both initial and 205 FW have these options, and I can see the same options in my N56u router. Unless Asus is trying to get rid of WEP and keep WPA or WPA2, or this would be a bug for the new FW.

Why would anyone want to use WEP in 2013 anyway?

1) It's as secure as opening your window and shouting out loud your WPA key to all your neighbours
2) WEP limits you to 54 Mbits max

because one of my streaming devices doesn't work well under WPA and WPA2, so I have to open guest network to setup WEP encryption, and my parents can watch movie and TV online. My other 3 streaming devices have solid connection with WPA and WPA2

Both initial and 205 FW have these options, and I can see the same options in my N56u router. Unless Asus is trying to get rid of WEP and keep WPA or WPA2, or this would be a bug for the new FW.

I just checked my AC66U and N66U - both have WEP under OPEN (both on Merlin's)

nope, on Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.32

oh, yea, i also can't setup WEP, but I upgrade from 205FW and I had saved my WEP encryption in 205, so my guest network still has WEP encryption with Merlin build. However, if I change the WEP to WPA or WPA2, i will lose my current wep encryption. lol. I will see if official FW has solved the problem or not.

from 205 to 235.

with HW acc on, when i try 'NAT Loopback', router is halted. :(
'halted' means all connection goes to time out, and can't connect 'router.asus.com' via web-broweser.

with HW acc off, nat loopback works well. router works well.

with 205, in 2.4Ghz
my galaxy s3 wireless speed is 'Down 0.68mbps, Up 25mbps'
my ipad4 wireless speed is 'down 40mbps, up 40mbps'

with235, in 2.4Ghz
my galaxy s3 speed is 'down 8mbps, up 26mbps'

so, i'm sticking with 235.

235 has increased my 2.4GHz speed a lot, but still nowhere near my RT-N66U.
No issue on 5GHz. On 2.4GHz I cannot use 20/40 bandwidth only 20 and no acceleration or I lose connectivity to some of my wireless security cameras.
Back to my RT-N66U until there is a much more stable reliable firmware.

235 has increased my 2.4GHz speed a lot, but still nowhere near my RT-N66U.
No issue on 5GHz. On 2.4GHz I cannot use 20/40 bandwidth only 20 and no acceleration or I lose connectivity to some of my wireless security cameras.
Back to my RT-N66U until there is a much more stable reliable firmware.

yea, another issue is the FW can not use 20/40 bandwidth, and this is confirmed by Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!