What's new

BETA RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_235 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

because one of my streaming devices doesn't work well under WPA and WPA2, so I have to open guest network to setup WEP encryption, and my parents can watch movie and TV online. My other 3 streaming devices have solid connection with WPA and WPA2

If you want a cheap easy workaround, follow steps below.

1. Purchase a linksys E1200 refurb for $29.00
2. Put it in bridge mode (google for instructions)
3. Configure the wireless security on it as WEP
4. Connect your streaming device to it.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...tting_up_the_Linksys_E4200_in_bridge_mode.xml

Last edited:
I have an old N56u to use but I am too lazy to set it up, so I just wait for the official FW release to see what has been changed.

Based on what I see after looking at the code, looks like the WEP change is actually a bug fix, not a new bug. Let me explain.

As you probably know, WEP is only compatible with 802.11b and g. If you configure 802.11n with a WEP key, then devices are forced to connect at a maximum of 54 Mbits.

The latest Asus code checks if you have wireless mode set to Auto, N-Only or Legacy. If that mode is set to anything other than Legacy, then the WEP option gets removed from the Guest network page.

If you go to the Wireless page, set mode to Legacy mode, head back to the Guest page, then you will have the WEP option possible. If you set it to WEP, and go back to the Wireless page and try to set it back to N-Only, you get a warning that this option is incompatible with the WEP option on the Guest networking page.

So, this means that this is by design. I suspect that while you had it set to WEP on the Guest page, regular clients might have been forced back to 54 Mbps max when connecting on that same band.

yea, that is a good finding, so it looks like I can setup WEP with Legacy mode. 54Mbits connection is fine with my streaming devices because they only have 802.11 a/b/g. my iphone, laptops,and table are actually connected to 5G network.

Thanks Merlin.

Based on what I see after looking at the code, looks like the WEP change is actually a bug fix, not a new bug. Let me explain.

As you probably know, WEP is only compatible with 802.11b and g. If you configure 802.11n with a WEP key, then devices are forced to connect at a maximum of 54 Mbits.

The latest Asus code checks if you have wireless mode set to Auto, N-Only or Legacy. If that mode is set to anything other than Legacy, then the WEP option gets removed from the Guest network page.

If you go to the Wireless page, set mode to Legacy mode, head back to the Guest page, then you will have the WEP option possible. If you set it to WEP, and go back to the Wireless page and try to set it back to N-Only, you get a warning that this option is incompatible with the WEP option on the Guest networking page.

So, this means that this is by design. I suspect that while you had it set to WEP on the Guest page, regular clients might have been forced back to 54 Mbps max when connecting on that same band.

Last edited:
I have just been informed that the final release of the new firmware will come to us this Friday! :)

yea, that is a good finding, so it looks like I can setup WEP with Legacy mode. 54Mbits connection is fine with my streaming devices because they only have 802.11 a/b/g. my iphone, laptops,and table are actually connected to 5G network.

As long you get all your fast devices on the 5 GHz band, you should be fine then. I'd still be very careful about this, WEP still remains a totally insecure encryption scheme. If I were you, I would at least configure a MAC filter on the 2.4 GHz band. It's not 100% foolproof, but should still block the casual visitor from breaking into your network.

Personally, I would recommend replacing that streamer by something more modern that supports at least WPA, ideally WPA2. If only for security purposes. Roku and WDTV Live devices are two avenues worth looking at. I know that at least one Roku engineer is actually an Asus router owner himself, so we know that the two work well together ;)

what? another 2 days!! I can't wait. lol, jking, thanks.

Asus is up to at least FW 374_262, so I expect the release to have quite a few additional fixes over 374_235 which was built on October 16th.

Asus is up to at least FW 374_262, so I expect the release to have quite a few additional fixes over 374_235 which was built on October 16th.

I feel good that I have returned my R7000 and kept AC68U. At least, Asus has more FW updates than other company.

I feel good that I have returned my R7000 and kept AC68U. At least, Asus has more FW updates than other company.

At a glance, it's both a good and a bad thing.

The bad side is, it means they have to make many bug fix releases over time.

The good side is, it shows they are committed to fixing those bugs. And they keep adding new features even after the product is officially released. Like how they added PPTPD VPN or AiCloud even to older routers such as the RT-N16. Or Time Machine support that is coming to the RT-AC68U (and perhaps other models as well?). Or that other new feature I have in this beta right here. ;)

Personally, I prefer frequent updates. Makes me feel more confident that my product won't be abandoned overnight just because I am expected to buy "the replacement product" 18 months later. Getting new features a full year after you bought the router is really nice. Or knowing that security issues and bugs can still be fixed even if your router is over a year old.

yea, my old N56u still gets new FW, and i have that router more than 2 years already.( when I bought it, it was a refrub. unit.)

Just flashed my brand new AC68U to fw 235.

Have not done extended testing yet but basic wireless and router functionality seems to be ok.

Had a small problem of IPv6 tunneling via tunnelbroker.net. But that was due to me forgetting to turn on ICMP ping on the router.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!