What's new

Can AC router and AC network card currently connects to both Bands (2.4 & 5GHZ)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zyu4router

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Currently the both AC router and AC network card are marketed with combine total speed it can get from both 2.4 GHZ and 5Ghz. Namely if router or network card marketed as AC1200 it means it can get max speed from 300mbps (2.4ghz band) and 876mbps (5ghz band) to archive near 1200mbps.

However, I never be able to connect both 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band at same time. I can either connect to 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band.

Is that possible to connect to both bands at same time to maximize the speed?
OR
It is just a marketing thing? in real life, we cannot connect both bands at same time to aggregate speed?

You can connect to both bands if you have two network cards in one device and can bridge their connections. But you will still not get 'maximum' speed as per the advertised / marketed propaganda.

With a single network card (typical) in each device, not being able to connect to both bands at the same time is the norm.

Hi,

Currently the both AC router and AC network card are marketed with combine total speed it can get from both 2.4 GHZ and 5Ghz. Namely if router or network card marketed as AC1200 it means it can get max speed from 300mbps (2.4ghz band) and 876mbps (5ghz band) to archive near 1200mbps.

However, I never be able to connect both 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band at same time. I can either connect to 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band.

Is that possible to connect to both bands at same time to maximize the speed?
OR
It is just a marketing thing? in real life, we cannot connect both bands at same time to aggregate speed?

Typically no - a single client is going to attach to one of the two bands supported...

The marketing numbers - e.g. AC1900, that's a combined number that adds both 2.4GHz and 5GHz...

But it's possible on bridging same alike router but still not rated speed. One can get n600 or ac1300

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!