What's new

Can NAS solve my problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lamprhey

New Around Here
New here, new to NAS -- hope you can help.

We're building a website for a participatory project, in which folk will be invited to send in large graphics files, around 250MB, using just a standard browser and a web address that we would publish. The senders would have Add access only to our NAS-based folder. Are there NAS products out there with software which would support this?

Lots of them. But if you're hosting files locally, you could max out bandwidth on your Internet connection.

You might look at products like the PogoPlug2 and Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar that come with easy to use online sharing. All Buffalo NASes and Seagate Blackarmors also have easy to use web access.

I've read user manuals for several NAS devices, and all are written assuming that I want to share my files for R or R/W to 'family'; this is exactly what I don't want to do, Tim -- it must be possible to setup Anonymous (or similar) access which restricts others to Add only -- no List, no Read etc. It may be that these devices allow that but their manuals don't cover it at all. Taking your write-up on the PogoPlug as an example, it says that other users may be set up either to Read or Read and Write; if those are indeed the only choices then it's no good to me.

It would also be best if my remote uploaders could go direct to my NAS without the need to go via some subscription service. Would the Buffalo NASes you mention be OK for this kind of thing? How about the NetGear Stora appliance?

Sorry that I didn't look at your requirements carefully. You'll have to keep looking through user manuals or check the forums of shortlisted NASes.

If you want people to go directly to your NAS, then you'll need it to support a dynamic DNS client. Buffalo's portal doesn't require a subscription fee.

Synology NASes will do what you want.
http://www.synology.com/enu/products/features/privilege.php

I don't know of others (chime in if you know, folks!).

You could also choose a NAS that allows you root access and that you'd need to be comfortable with setting Linux permissions. QNAP and Synology support root access via Telnet and SSH.

Are you looking to run the website on this NAS or just use it to collect files?