What's new

Can't use voip accounts while OpenVPN running - SOLVED

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rookie

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I cannot seem to get my sip voip accounts get registered whilst OpenVPN is active and running.
Using the Zoiper app on my iPhone. When on 3G mobile data I have no issue making voip calls. However when the OpenVPN client with PIA running on my router, the voip account fails to even register.
Firmware version 380.63_2

What happens if you use the PIA iPhone App together with the Zipper App, either over 3G or Wifi (with the VPN disabled on the router)? I'm guessing it won't work either.

What happens if you use the PIA iPhone App together with the Zipper App, either over 3G or Wifi (with the VPN disabled on the router)? I'm guessing it won't work either.

You were correct!
I tried what you suggested and could not get passed the VOIP account registration.
I have tried with two separate providers and same result. Both over wifi and 3G.

Does that mean my IP given by PIA is blocked by VOIP service providers?
Or is it to do with VOIP protocols?

Likely the later, most of the threads I found on the issue ended up with the user bypassing the VPN for their VOIP hardware device.

I thought I share my work around with this little problem I was having.

I ended up creating a policy rule under VPN > OpenVPN Clients > redirect internet traffic > Policy Rules.
Source IP
192.168.1.0/24

Destination IP
(IP of VOIP Service Provider: Find out by doing a DNS look up for the sip.companyname.com)

Iface
WAN

This way all the traffic is by passing the VPN.

Thanks for all the replies. It gave me a starting point to troubleshoot the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!