What's new

Cisco AP Replacement advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Currently running 2 x 2702i APs and a 2504 controller.

I now have to replace this system with something that is just as good but without the controller.

Reason being is that due to a change around, the controller would be quite audible from a working perspective (amongst other things) so needs to be removed.

I have had experience of Ubiquiti a few years ago, but had constant issues with phones not connecting and slow throughput, no matter what was tried, hence the big spend on the Cisco!

Thanks

No i hadnt even thought about staying with Cisco.

I've just had a look and that seems to be perfect, although just browsin Amazon, i have found somewhere that has the WAP571 for not much more cost wise so i'm going to give one of those a try.

Thanks!

:)

You might also want to look at Aruba Instant. It's a controller-less solution as well, but IMHO it's implemented better and I like HPE/Aruba's support model more. Price may be slightly higher or just about even, per radio capability. There's also Ruckus Unleashed, but their software is a bit less polished and they sell primarily on superiority in higher-density/interference-prone areas. In a home setting, that's likely not the case, unless you've got noisy neighbors or live in an apartment complex. Anyways, two more really solid platforms to look at.

Last edited:
Thanks Trip.

Would you believe that i tried all those as well before ending up with the 2702's.

Anyway, I have the 571 up and running now and is very good.

Only thing is that there isnt the detailed control of the 2702 but then, they don't cost as much as the 2702!

Thanks for the help.

:)

Good to know you've tried those two options. And yes, you did drop down from enterprise to SMB class Aironet (the 2802i would have been the lineal replacement), but as you noted it's likely fine for your needs and much less costly. :)

I don't have much experience with the 500 series, but they appear like good enough products. As you noted, you may miss some of the feature granularity of the big-boy Aironet stuff, but then again you're also dealing with a much less costly product. I've read accounts of the mesh behavior not working quite as well as the upper-end stuff, but I guess you could call that mostly hearsay at this point; I'd weight you own experience before anything else. Do come back in a few weeks/months and let us know how they've been performing!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!