What's new

Client List Help please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stoobydale

New Around Here
Hi, found this forum after having major headache trying to get some help form Asus direct. On line help, never anyone on line. Email help telling me to ring the helpline and helpline re directing me to email, and then cutting off. But that's another story.

Had an RT-N66U for a few weeks now, updated to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.270. The wireless connection speed and strength are a major improvement over the standard all in one superdud from Virginmedia, however I am having a lot of issues with the client list. It will not update unless I reboot the device which I do not find acceptable. I don't know if it's related but I have parental controls for the kids devices and these should not be available after 2300hrs on a weekend but last night they were still on at 2330hrs again client list showing complete nonsense. Does anyone know of a fix?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi, found this forum after having major headache trying to get some help form Asus direct. On line help, never anyone on line. Email help telling me to ring the helpline and helpline re directing me to email, and then cutting off. But that's another story.

Had an RT-N66U for a few weeks now, updated to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.270. The wireless connection speed and strength are a major improvement over the standard all in one superdud from Virginmedia, however I am having a lot of issues with the client list. It will not update unless I reboot the device which I do not find acceptable. I don't know if it's related but I have parental controls for the kids devices and these should not be available after 2300hrs on a weekend but last night they were still on at 2330hrs again client list showing complete nonsense. Does anyone know of a fix?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

On virgin media myself and yes , their superhub is dire isn't it...

First thing I would do is switch to merlins version 270.26

you might want to reset the router to defaults and start from scratch after the update, it may not be definately NEEDED , but I find if I have problems , starting from a standard baseline helps figure out where/when it's going wrong.

Make sure you have set the manual DST date settings..if you don't , I find the time on the router won't be correct and the parental controls don't always work correctly.

if it still happens after all that...can you show a pic of what it looks like on the forums...might help us see what your problem is.

Hi linkmaster, thanks for the reply. ha, had the daylight saving time problem, wondered why it was always an hour out. Yesterday I changed the firmware to the latest from Asus 3.0.0.5.354 the problem was still the same. I then installed the Merlin firmware 3.0.0.4.270.26b, the problem is still the same although with this one I can see using the tools button how many clients are using the system.I don't know who they are though. I will try a hard reset and start from scratch tomorrow. I have seen a similar thread on the Merlin section of the forum. I don't know anything about programming but I never had any problems like this with my previous Dlink router. Hope I can get it sorted because the N66 is a great performer in the strength, speed and range stakes.
Cheers,
Stu.

I too have had issues with the Parental Controls and the Client List. It is really hard to set up parental controls when the machine you want isn't listed on the client list.

If I have a port forwarded my client list will not populate. Remove the forwarded port, client list works just fine. Your mileage may vary.

Additionally, any active connections remain active when the internet access is supposed to be turned off. My kids are able to continue playing their games and chat with their friends on skype as long as the connection was running at the cutoff time. I've complained about this to ASUS before but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fixed. My E4200 was awesome and totally cutting off their access on schedule so I know it can be done.

I did install the latest firmware update yesterday morning but haven't checked with the kids to see if they are really being cutoff when they are supposed to be.

Shutting Internet Off

If your kids connect to the router using WiFi you can set the radios to shut off at a certain time and then restart in the morning.

Assign them to use the 2.4 Ghz band and you use the 5Ghz band. If that doesn't work for you put your kids on their own AP that shuts off at a certain time either using its firmware or a lamp timer.

The lamp timer will cut their internet access even if they are connected to their own AP using Ethernet. I had to do this to keep on of my sons from getting up in the middle of the night and surfing till dawn. Hid the timer in the wall so he couldn't figure out what was happening.

I know the radio cut off on ASUS is absolute and immediate. After the switch to DST I was getting cut off at 10PM right in the middle of doing things.

Also remember if your filters and rules depend on assigning a device a static IP using a MAC address it is quite simple to change a PC's MAC address so it will be assigned another IP address.

Thanks for the reply CaptainSTX. My kids are different ages so I would like to cut them off at different times, otherwise that would be an aswer to one of my problems.

Regarding the client list updating, does this happen on all N66U routers but it's just not a problem for most people? or does it just happen on a few? If it's just a few, is it worth me returning this to the shop and exchanging it for another?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!