Confirming Asuswrt-Merlin install procedure on RT-AC66U

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by bheiser1, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bheiser1

bheiser1 Occasional Visitor

I have installed Asuswrt-Merlin on a new RT-AC66U. The device came with 3.0.0.4.140, which I see from the Asus site was the very first version.

In the Asuswrt-Merlin README, the Installation instructions indicate "Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to reset to factory defaults, unless coming from a version that used a different nvram size."

I'm not up on the history of "nvram sizes" of different versions. I did flash the latest Asuswrt-Merlin (3.0.0.4.246.20) using the "Upgrade Firmware" function in the web gui. It seems ok ... but before I go further configuring things I'd like to make sure I haven't missed any key steps (due to the "... unless coming from a version that used a different nvram size" warning).

The only oddity I noticed so far is that after poking around with the device last night, I powered it off... then when I powered it on tonight, nothing could connect wirelessly to it. I power cycled again and it came up just fine.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

The NVRAM size issue only applies to the RT-N66U.

In your case it might still be a good idea to reset back to factory defaults and reconfigure everything, since you are making a fairly big jump in firmware revision. It's not mandatory, but might be safer.

4. bheiser1

bheiser1 Occasional Visitor

OK, will do, thanks.