What's new

Confirming Asuswrt-Merlin install procedure on RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bheiser1

Occasional Visitor
I have installed Asuswrt-Merlin on a new RT-AC66U. The device came with 3.0.0.4.140, which I see from the Asus site was the very first version.

In the Asuswrt-Merlin README, the Installation instructions indicate "Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to reset to factory defaults, unless coming from a version that used a different nvram size."

I'm not up on the history of "nvram sizes" of different versions. I did flash the latest Asuswrt-Merlin (3.0.0.4.246.20) using the "Upgrade Firmware" function in the web gui. It seems ok ... but before I go further configuring things I'd like to make sure I haven't missed any key steps (due to the "... unless coming from a version that used a different nvram size" warning).

The only oddity I noticed so far is that after poking around with the device last night, I powered it off... then when I powered it on tonight, nothing could connect wirelessly to it. I power cycled again and it came up just fine.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The NVRAM size issue only applies to the RT-N66U.

In your case it might still be a good idea to reset back to factory defaults and reconfigure everything, since you are making a fairly big jump in firmware revision. It's not mandatory, but might be safer.