What's new

Device Ranking for Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rooby

Regular Contributor
Hello

I plan to buy a new Asus router and I found this wiki:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Supported-Devices
for supported devices but I did not find an overview regarding performance ranking
like:
1. long term support of Asus merlin
2. memory and flash for future SW updates
3. OpenVPN performace to connect several routers

Ist there a ranking somewhere there are many threads but some are quite old and maybe not up-to-date.
Any suggestions for most compatible devices.

1. RMerlin firmware has been available since 2012 and is done out of love for the hobby, not a paid gig. Enjoy it while it's here (and there's a lot to enjoy here!).
    1. The actual models that are supported will keep being supported as long as Asus keeps supplying updated source code for them (or RMerlin has an easy/quick workaround for specific models, if possible). For example, the RT-AC3200 and the RT-AC87U are on limited support right now for this very reason and are why they are trailing the 384.17_0 release with 384.13_8 firmware versions while all others are fully updated to 384.17 (see release notes for any specifics/differences).
  2. This again depends on Asus, but RMerlin can enable things if/as needed when the hardware is capable of it.
    1. Choose a router like the RT-AX88U for the most future-forward upgradable options.
  3. The top two models that are RMerlin supported right now are the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U with up to 250Mbps OpenVPN performance depending on the servers and/or the ISP's used.
    1. The RT-AC86U is a dual-core CPU model and will handle 1 Server or 1 Client efficiently.
    2. The RT-AX88U is a quad-core CPU model and will handle a combination of up to 3 servers/clients at full speed.
      1. RMerlin firmware offers 2 Servers (max) and up to 5 Clients for OpenVPN connections.
I don't know what compatible devices you're asking about?

For myself and many customers, the RT-AX88U is the current 'king' of a powerful, stable, and reliable router with many options available including RMerlin support and built-in amtm + Entware + script functionality.

https://diversion.ch/amtm.html

HTH. :)

Hi L&LD

thanks for your explanation this was exactly what I wanted to know.
The RT-AX88U seems the top model. I'm thinking of RT-AX58U as cost reduction alternative.
With compatible I ment that the RMerlin SW will not get on flash or memory or other functional limitions in future. Just to have some margin...

Thanks

I would recommend investing in an RT-AX88U. Yes it is more expensive, but it basically has more power and above all more RAM (1GB vs 512MB).
In my opinion, with an RT-AX88U you are absolutely future-proof for the next years.

@Rooby the RT-AX58U is a good alternative, but with substantially worse VPN performance though (up to 70Mbps, I believe), even if it is a 3-core design. :)

Only own 86u units but have never had an issue where something wasn't supported or they couldn't handle.

I would recommenced 4 models only, price/perf. low to high:
RT-AC66U_B1 -> RT-AX58U -> RT-AC86U -> RT-AX88U