What's new

DNSMasq not working properly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kian

Occasional Visitor
So I am using a Pi-Hole device with my Asus Router to block ads network wide.

I also use a VPN on my Asus router with Selective Routing so that only my NAS uses the VPN.

When my NAS is connected via VPN from router, certain apps on the device will not function because Pi-Hole will prevent DNS resolutions from occuring on them. Not with every app, just a few. And I had this problem before on my Tomato/Netgear router I had previously.

My solution for the previous router was to add a dnsmasq entry to the router to bypass the pi-hole and set the NAS' DNS to 8.8.8.8(Google).

This solution, no matter how I do it, will not work on the ASUS router.

I have tried both:

Code:
dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.67

dhcp-option=tag:mydns,option:dns-server,8.8.8.8

dhcp-host=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX,set:mydns

and

Code:
dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.67

# Google DNS

dhcp-option=tag:googlesdns1,6,8.8.8.8

dhcp-option=tag:googlesdns2,6,8.8.4.4

# NAS set to Google DNS

dhcp-host=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX,set:googledns1

as my dnsmasq.conf.add file in the /jffs/configs directory.

Upon rebooting router and pi hole, the NAS would still not function properly. Certain apps couldnt resolve DNS resolutions.

Ive tried changing my WAN DNS from my VPN providers DNS entries to Google's and it made no difference for the NAS.

I've tried adding the Pi Hole IP as the LAN DNS server in ASUS router along with changing Pi Hole settings for this to work and it made no difference for the NAS.

I've tried the DNSFilter section, adding a Customer DNS of Google for the NAS. No difference.

I even tried adding a dnsmasq entry to the pi-hole device itself. No difference.

I've triple checked x 1000 the MAC address is correct.

Nothing works. I am at my wits end because this worked perfectly on my Tomato router.

I'm a real dumby. The problem seemed to have been that my VPN was disconnected. Man oh man.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!