What's new

Do you have Archer C8 or C9 -- question about opening a port (for Remote Desktop)...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

turnstyle

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I just replaced my old router with an an Archer C8.

One problem I'm having is that I can't make a Remote Desktop connection over my LAN.

Specifically, I have a Windows 7 PC running Remote Desktop, wired to the router.

And I'm connecting with a Mac over wi-fi.

My smb connection from the Mac to the PC does work, but I can't establish the Remote Desktop connection.

I'm assuming the problem is that I may need to open a port -- I believe 3389 -- but I'm not quite clear how to do that.

Also, I would only want that within the LAN -- no need for Remote Desktop coming from the outside.

Anybody here with an Archer C8 or C9 able to point me where in the Web interface I should enable that?

Or is it possibly some other issue? Meaning, would it be "expected" that Remote Desktop should work over the LAN by default?

Many thanks! -Scott

Windows 7 Home/Home Premium does not support Remote Desktop as a host (it does support RDC to Win7/8/10 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise).

Might consider an alternate approach - TeamViewer is fast and for home/personal use it's free to use...

And no, no ports need to be opened if your on your own LAN (client to server)

It's Windows 7 Pro -- this all worked through the previous router.

I replaced the router, I can access the Internet, and I can use smb from my Mac to connect to the PC -- but I can't connect through Remote Desktop.

So that "feels" like a possible port block?

Last edited:
Upon further investigation, it appears to have been the Windows Firewall -- don't quite know why it stopped working, but now it's all good, thanks & move along, nothing to see here... :)

Upon further investigation, it appears to have been the Windows Firewall -- don't quite know why it stopped working, but now it's all good, thanks & move along, nothing to see here... :)

That'll do it ;)

Glad you got it sorted/fixed...