What's new

Does T-Mobile/ASUS TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) Support Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same issue with asus recovery utilities. But I managed to use tftp come with windows 8 to downgrade tm-ac1900 to older firmware and able to follow Engineer instruction to install merlin. I used Asus CFE and mtd-write v2 to update CFE.
My router is running with merlin version 3.0.0.4.376.47_0 and the initial page shows RT-AC68U instead of TM-AC1900.
Thanks

I was lucky and able to get a TM-AC1900 on launch, I was able to load Merlin's FW from the GUI. I'm glad about all the development so far from the community in order to make this an AC68U through the CFE. However, I'm curious, I would like to have the T-Mobile QOS customization as I'm sure others as well would. Is anyone with the know how able to fork Merlin's FW for the TM-AC1900

Merlin's Post on QOS customizations: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=144601&postcount=72

Merlins post regarding the fork: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=140616&postcount=17

One more check you should do....make note of the new_cfe.bin file size before editing, and double check to make sure it's the same after editing. It can be easy to accidently insert a byte while editing, in which case you are in trouble.
My original CFE is 524288 bytes (exactly 512K); the one I downloaded (rt-ac68u_1.0.2.0_us.bin) is 231923 bytes.

Is is OK to use the downloaded one with a different size ?

My original CFE is 524288 bytes (exactly 512K); the one I downloaded (rt-ac68u_1.0.2.0_us.bin) is 231923 bytes.

If you check the main thread on CFE updating, that's a valid CFE for the update. You can read about a dozen posts starting here for the details of the size change....

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=141350&postcount=247

My additional check is then to make sure after you hexedit the 231923 byte file to put in your mac address, it's still 231923 bytes.

Thanks to Engineer, The link that was provided include all files and steps needed. One extra step that I would add is:
11. after checking your new CFE, refer back to
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=71142918&postcount=2949
to change the firmware to the one you want.

if you use the CFE version 1.0.2.0 it is indeed about half of the size, I think because it is missing some information, like the toggle button on the back for LED lights.

However, it will work as supposed to for other options.

if you want the same options then you can use:
1.0.1.6 (US) which has the same file size and includes the toggle switch, remember to follow the instructions for changing mac and secret_code as listed.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm trying to downgrade a T-Mobile AC1900 I picked up over the weekend, following instructions found on this site.
When I first tried to use the Asus firmware restoration utility, it gave me an error saying the transfer was cancelled almost immediately after clicking the upload button.
I kept trying and eventually I got to a point where the utility said it was uploading the firmware, and the progress bar made it all the way to 97-98% only to get the same message!
I was running wireshark (a network sniffer for windows) while the tftp transfer was going and the error message I saw read "disk full or allocation exceeded, transfer cancelled". Not very helpful, I know.
Can you guys help? Love to get this thing flashed back to AC68U so I can throw Merlin at it..
Thanks.
L.

Embarrassing question

Hi All,

I got a TM-AC1900 the other day and immediately flashed it with Merlin. I didn't reset or set factory defaults at all. I don't know why, I'm usually smarter than that! I've gone through setting up everything I need but the router is occasionally acting strangely and dropping connections. So... should I just go and set factory defaults (like I should have done to begin with)? Or is there some stonger reset I should do.

Sorry for the dumb question. Advice much appreciated.

D

Just a FYI, the firmware downgrade step is not needed and can be skipped entirely. The only reason we're downgrading is because the newer firmware removes the ability to enable ssh/telnet - except, what is easier - remove the actual functionality from the firmware or just hide the buttons/checkboxes/gui items? Ding! It's just hidden on the latest firmware...

To make the telnet option available on current TM-AC1900..

1. Open your Administration > System page (probably http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp)
  2. Then, while on that page, press f12 to bring up your browser's developer tools
  3. Search the HTML for 'telnet' and you should find a block like this:
    Code:
    <tr id="telnet_tr" style="display: none;">
    <th>Enable Telnet</th>
    <td>
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" disabled="">Yes
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" checked="" disabled="">No
    </td>
    </tr>
    Edit it (double click, or right click and 'edit as html' or similar) and then delete the style value 'display: none' and remove the word 'disabled' from the inputtype tags (the checkboxes). It should look something like this:
    Code:
    <tr id="telnet_tr" style="">
    <th>Enable Telnet</th>
    <td>
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" >Yes
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" >No
    </td>
    </tr>
  4. Press esc (or click somewhere else in the editor) to apply your changes and the Telnet check boxes are now available.
  5. Select yes for telnet, then click apply. Telnet is enabled, no downgrade required.

You can also do this to enable SSH or whatever else.

Last edited:
Hi, I just joined the forum, I'm totally blind, I use windows 8.1, I have managed to do the following, I pulled the power chord, held the reset button, and put the power chord in, using the asus firmware utility focused the T-Mobile firmware, and downgraded the machine. First it did 0 to 100 percent uploading a file, and then it gave a message about subnet change, then it went from 0 to 99 and probably 100 but didn't say that, and then gave the error you guys said it would give at the end. THen I waited for 10 minutes, to try to tell if it had rebooted, but I didn't get the usual recycle ben my screen reader says when it disconnects from a network because it flashes the desktop I guess. So, I guess after ten minutes, I should assume it rebooted, is this correct? Then, I pulled the power chord, and held down the wps button while putting in the power chord. I waited 30 seconds. So, should I assume I did things correctly, because after this I flashed the merlin firmware and did so using the same procedure. I don't see merlin anyware in the firmware name though, so just curious. If some one could answer this, I would appreciate it as I can not see the lights on the thing to know when it reboots, just have to go by judgement of the sound of my computer. The other thing is if some one would edit the boot mac file for me, as it's hard for me to use a hex editor, and instructions on how to flash that as well please from windows. What if I didn't edit the mac, does it really matter?

Just a FYI, the firmware downgrade step is not needed and can be skipped entirely. The only reason we're downgrading is because the newer firmware removes the ability to enable ssh/telnet - except, what is easier - remove the actual functionality from the firmware or just hide the buttons/checkboxes/gui items? Ding! It's just hidden on the latest firmware...

To make the telnet option available on current TM-AC1900..

1. Open your Administration > System page (probably http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp)
  2. Then, while on that page, press f12 to bring up your browser's developer tools
  3. Search the HTML for 'telnet' and you should find a block like this:
    Code:
    <tr id="telnet_tr" style="display: none;">
    <th>Enable Telnet</th>
    <td>
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" disabled="">Yes
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" checked="" disabled="">No
    </td>
    </tr>
    Edit it (double click, or right click and 'edit as html' or similar) and then delete the style value 'display: none' and remove the word 'disabled' from the inputtype tags (the checkboxes). It should look something like this:
    Code:
    <tr id="telnet_tr" style="">
    <th>Enable Telnet</th>
    <td>
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="1" >Yes
    <input type="radio" name="telnetd_enable" class="input" value="0" >No
    </td>
    </tr>
  4. Press esc (or click somewhere else in the editor) to apply your changes and the Telnet check boxes are now available.
  5. Select yes for telnet, then click apply. Telnet is enabled, no downgrade required.

You can also do this to enable SSH or whatever else.
What browser can you use to save the edited html file on the router so it will open with the option of telnet?

I have tried chrome, and firefox. In chrome I can not change the html file but in Firefox which has firebug installed and i can get the telnet option to show up but I can not save it on the router.

I have also tried to use the asus rescue tool but it just says it is not in rescue mode and can not connect after I followed all of the required steps of setting a static ip.

Here is a full youtube video on how to install it right out of the box.
this method should work with ALL the tmobile TM-AC1900 cellspot routers as of todays date. it had CFE 2.1.2.2 and was downgraded and installed 1.0.2.0

The video below shows to install and change CFE and Flash firmware right out of the box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s

below is the list of utilities and file needed that were mentioned in the video
http://www.filedropper.com/tmo2ac68u

Mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!olRUzYZY!g7UFj8kEBSgnk7TNIN0SUSUwmMnMi4gPPdG3_DvfWgc

Last edited:
Here is a full youtube video on how to install it right out of the box.
this method should work with ALL the tmobile TM-AC1900 cellspot routers as of todays date. it had CFE 2.1.2.2 and was downgraded and installed 1.0.2.0

The video below shows to install and change CFE and Flash firmware right out of the box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s

below is the list of utilities and file needed that were mentioned in the video
http://www.filedropper.com/tmo2ac68u

https://mega.co.nz/#!olRUzYZY!g7UFj8kEBSgnk7TNIN0SUSUwmMnMi4gPPdG3_DvfWgc

Or you can use this guide made by Engineer:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895

CFE with smaller size is because it compiled version, contain same as the big one.

Last edited:
1.0.2.0 (US) overclocks effortlessly to 1200,800

Thanks to Engineer, The link that was provided include all files and steps needed. One extra step that I would add is:
11. after checking your new CFE, refer back to
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=71142918&postcount=2949
to change the firmware to the one you want.

if you use the CFE version 1.0.2.0 it is indeed about half of the size, I think because it is missing some information, like the toggle button on the back for LED lights.

However, it will work as supposed to for other options.

if you want the same options then you can use:
1.0.1.6 (US) which has the same file size and includes the toggle switch, remember to follow the instructions for changing mac and secret_code as listed.

If you want to risk ruining your router, it is relevant to note that CFE 1.0.2.0 (US) overclocks with little effort to 1200,800.

I have a TM-AC1900 picked up day 1 and flashed to Merlin running the original 2.1.2.1 CFE. Is there any reason to upgrade the CFE, beyond changing the TM-AC1900 to RT-AC68u in the web UI? Or should I just leave it alone, as it works perfectly fine?

I have a TM-AC1900 picked up day 1 and flashed to Merlin running the original 2.1.2.1 CFE. Is there any reason to upgrade the CFE, beyond changing the TM-AC1900 to RT-AC68u in the web UI? Or should I just leave it alone, as it works perfectly fine?

As long as you don't go to one of the newer Asus firmwares (376.3626) that updates the CFE automatically (based on your current CFE), you'll be fine. If Merlin throws in automatic updating, you could potentially run into same issue as using a newer Asus firmware (not sure what Merlin's plans are as to the TMobile CFE 2.1.2.2).

I certainly won't be going to stock Asus firmware after having used Merlin.

If Merlin includes a CFE updater in a later version, what's the worst that could happen, MAC address changes? I don't actually care what MAC address it uses, as my ISP doesn't check that stuff. Also don't care about changing the WPS key, as I never use that either.

I would care if it somehow bricked my router, of course.

I certainly won't be going to stock Asus firmware after having used Merlin.

If Merlin includes a CFE updater in a later version, what's the worst that could happen, MAC address changes? I don't actually care what MAC address it uses, as my ISP doesn't check that stuff. Also don't care about changing the WPS key, as I never use that either.

I would care if it somehow bricked my router, of course.

If Merlin were to actually use the TMobile CFE 2.1.2.2, your router would become firmware locked to TMobile firmwares only. I don't think Merlin would use the TMobile CFE but that's just a guess.

Yeah, not too worried about that. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Since it looks like the next version of merlin will indeed update the CFE, I changed my T-mobile router over to the latest asus firmware, replacing the MAC addresses and WPS secret. Worked fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, not too worried about that. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Since it looks like the next version of merlin will indeed update the CFE, I changed my T-mobile router over to the latest asus firmware, replacing the MAC addresses and WPS secret. Worked fine.

Speaking of which has anyone tried the new beta firmware for the 68U on the 1900?

yes latest _50 beta firmware fine on TMAC1900 hardware 2015 Jan

Speaking of which has anyone tried the new beta firmware for the 68U on the 1900?
_50 January 2015 Merlin firmware runs fine on the TMobile TMAC1900. Also overclocking to 1200,800 would probably work great for you if you can tolerate risking hurting your router.

ipV6 sites on Internet also work fine with Cincinnati Ohio Time Warner cable.

Expect some cosmetic oddness in the counts of clients, on the clients lists on the status pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!