What's new

Does T-Mobile/ASUS TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) Support Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pantag

The package is from the guy who made the video. I do have both 1.0.2.0 and 1.0.2.1 listed on the guide page and to be honest, I'm not sure what the difference is. I updated to 1.0.2.1 just for kicks (and guide practice) but it's not required that I know of. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it! :)

Need a nudge to finish this conversion. After educating myself for days, the TM-AC1900 now shows RT-AC68U and has firmware of 3.0.0.4.376_1703. I have the AMD NAND. All I want to do is turn this into a repeater. Do I flash firmware for ASUS or Merlin, if so, which version for the repeater function to show up on the GUI. Recovering from motor vehicle accident with diminished brain function unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated!
RT-AC68U login: admin
Password:

ASUSWRT RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Wed Jul 16 08:39:37 UTC 2014
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# dmesg | grep -e "flash" -e "nand" -e "amd" /tmp/syslog.log
Dec 31 16:00:16 kernel: Found a AMD NAND flash:
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: pflash: found no supported devices
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: bcmsflash: found no supported devices
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: lookup_nflash_rootfs_offset: offset = 0x200000
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: nflash: squash filesystem with lzma found at block 28
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: Creating 6 MTD partitions on "nflash":
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: Creating 2 MTD partitions on "brcmnand":
Dec 31 16:00:17 kernel: 0x000006000000-0x000007ec0000 : "brcmnand"
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get bl_version
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get boardrev
0x1100
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get HW_ver
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

Would I just update the Asus firmware to this below? I see it has the repeater mode.

Asus_RT-AC68U_GUI13.jpg
I

Would I just update the Asus firmware to this below? I see it has the repeater mode.

Asus_RT-AC68U_GUI13.jpg
I

Is that after you did a reset to factory defaults too?

The image I posted was taken from the web, and is not what is on my screen. My page doesn't have the repeater button to enable it. I haven't done a factory reset if that is what you are asking? My version of firmware is 3.0.0.4.376_1703.

Then I suggest you update to the latest RMerlin firmware (378.56_2) or john9527 or hggomes firmware forks instead (376 is ancient history and has many security issues that are addressed in the latest firmware).

And after flashing to one of those firmwares, then do a full reset to factory defaults at that time.

Then I suggest you update to the latest RMerlin firmware (378.56_2) or john9527 or hggomes firmware forks instead (376 is ancient history and has many security issues that are addressed in the latest firmware).

And after flashing to one of those firmwares, then do a full reset to factory defaults at that time.
I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Unable to flash the RMerlin firmware (378.56_2). I have tried the Asus Restoration tool and the Mini Webserver. I followed the directions on the RMerlin notes about reseting to factory defaults and also about others having to wait for over an hour. Any other suggestions before moving on to john9527 or hggomes?

I converted a TMOBILE one just like this and loaded RMerlin's just fine. On the way I loaded the ASUS FW first to make sure it said it was a RT68U. If it won't take the stock ASUS FW its not converted via the CFE correctly.

I converted a TMOBILE one just like this and loaded RMerlin's just fine. On the way I loaded the ASUS FW first to make sure it said it was a RT68U. If it won't take the stock ASUS FW its not converted via the CFE correctly.
If the CFE is not correct, how would I correct it? It shows RT68U when the GUI loads up and also all of the functions work. It also shows the firmware of 3.0.0.4.376_1703. Jsmiddleton4, did you use the 3.0.4.376_1703 before you converted it to RMerlins?

How you change the CFE is on the web site that walks one through all the steps, step by step with video, on how to change to the ASUS CFE away from the T-Mobile tweaked CFE.

I just followed those step by step instructions.

Reloaded and verified the CFE version 1.0.2.0 (US)[mega.nz] => DDR3 *unlocked* to 800MHZ this time and flashed the RMerlin firmware (378.56_2) you recommended, however the GUI still shows that I have 3.0.4.376_1703 firmware loaded and there is no repeater button. What am I doing wrong?

I have watched the video 4 times, verified the CFE edit, cleared the NVRAM, etc. The router GUI does show it is a Asus RT-AC68U and not the TM-AC1900.

Last edited:
The john9527 fork worked great and now I have the repeater function. RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-14E1j9527.trx is the one that I used to get it to work. THANK YOU for your advice and john9527 for the flash!

I am having a similar problem. I downgraded TMO firmware to 1703 and flashed the CFE. I am currently running Merlin 376.47 and I can't move from that. I've tried stock latest 376, earliest 378 and the latest 378. I also tried Merlin's latest.

I am flashing via CFE webserver, or through the GUI, I also tried TFTP in recovery mode, because I didn't have access to the Windows tool.

I was able to perform everything above with a Mac due to lack of a Windows PC last night.

I will try John's fork to see if that helps.

When did my T Mobile conversion after updating the CFE step by step I uploaded the default ASUS FW. Had to reset some stuff as the default IP address was different than the Asus TMobile FW. Once reconnected uploaded RMerlin's to replace the default ASUS default FW. Doing the CFE was the only tricky part. It is in my son-in-law's office working like a champ.

Got if for 30 bucks locally on Craigslist since the original owner wasn't using TMobile any more.

John's fork was the only way I could get it to accept the new flash. However I used the Asus Mini Webserver after I did a reset to get mine to flash John's fork. My IP address through the whole process stayed at 192.168.29.1 to login. I am sitting here using my laptop over 300 feet from the main router with the now converted TMO router as a repeater just about 20 feet from me. Thanks guys, who do I owe the gratitude to?
Great score on the $30 router Js!

John's fork was the only way I could get it to accept the new flash. However I used the Asus Mini Webserver after I did a reset to get mine to flash John's fork. My IP address through the whole process stayed at 192.168.29.1 to login. I am sitting here using my laptop over 300 feet from the main router with the now converted TMO router as a repeater just about 20 feet from me. Thanks guys, who do I owe the gratitude to?
Great score on the $30 router Js!

Following Engineer's advice on page 8 worked for me to get up to merlin's newest, after having the same problem as you...
" If going to some of the later 376.xxxx or 378.xxxx firmware editions, some people have had them rejected. Most of the time, it's because there is a firmware (Asus 376.3626 will do it) that expand the rootfs partition from 32M to 64M. My advice is to go to 376.3626, reset NVRAM and then flash to the newer firmware edition if you want the latest firmware."

Seems that latest CFE / firmware combination is causing even more headaches than before (CFE 2.1.2.6). Several people have flashed the CFE (using the older TMobile .1703 firmware) but could not flash anything else it seemed. Going to Shibby 1.24 Tomato ARM VPN edition for RT-AC68U (the smaller version - around 10MB) first, resetting NVRAM and then moving to 376.3626 solved it for several people. Just a FYI! :)

Congrats to those that got this going.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!