What's new

Download speeds cut in half

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shabby

Occasional Visitor
Not sure what happened but for the last week my speeds have dropped in half out of the blue, thought it was some issues with my isp but it wasn't. I installed my old router and im peaking at 330mpbs, i put my ac56u back with 380.57 and its back down to 150mpbs, i disable qos and it goes up to 220mbps.
I just switched to 380.58 and its the same issue.

Looks like i'm back with the exact same issue, decided to update my firmware to the latest 380.69 and lo and behold my speeds are only 200mbps in a speedtest, before i was hitting 800mbps+
Luckily i still had the old 378 firmware but thanks to some regulatory amendments i can't go back to the older firmware, how do i fix this speed cut, what is causing this?

Ok speeds are back after enabling hw acceleration and disabling iptraffic. Why is it that iptraffic + hw acceleration worked with the older firmware and not with the new one?

Last edited:
Ok speeds are back after enabling hw acceleration and disabling iptraffic. Why is it that iptraffic + hw acceleration worked with the older firmware and not with the new one?
It didn't. I think with the older firmwares you could enable IPTraffic when HW acceleration was being used but it didn't give accurate results and people noticed and complained. The only way to get accurate data was to disable HW acceleration.

Hmm makes sense, my speeds still aren't as good as they were before. I just went back to my isp's modem and i'm getting a solid 900mbps+, with merlin i'm getting only 500mbps so the firmware is still holding me back, any other settings i can check?

Z36ueow.jpg

They never did. IPTraffic has always disabled NAT acceleration as it requires the use of rules in the FORWARD chains.

They never did. IPTraffic has always disabled NAT acceleration as it requires the use of rules in the FORWARD chains.
Hmm i thought those user stats that were in the statistics page was iptraffic, guess not.
Anyway the speeds are cut in half again, only getting 500mbps with hw acceleration enabled(ctf only), going back to the isp modem and i'm at 1gbps.
Is there a way to go back to the 378 firmware bypassing that regulatory mumbo jumbo?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the processor in your AC56U just can’t hang with gigabit service. I’m not certain of that but that’s what it sounds like.

well, just after I've upgraded to first 382 firmware I've noticed higher CPU usage. I've 50 mbit download speed and while torrenting with full speed; CPU 1 is around 70-80% and CPU 2 is 10-20%. It feels like without HW acceleration even AC88u can't handle 100+mbps speeds with firmware 382.x

Sounds to me like the processor in your AC56U just can’t hang with gigabit service. I’m not certain of that but that’s what it sounds like.
I looked at the cpu usage and one core is maxing out at 100% while the other is idling at 3%, everything was fine with the 378 firmware. If i could just go back to it everything would be fine.
Will the firmware restoration tool work?

Last edited:
PPPoE hardware acceleration is broken.

Is that an Asus-only fix or a fix that can be made in Merlin FW?
Anything with the word "acceleration" implies hardware acceleration and that's always closed source code. Asus has to provide new sources with updated binaries which include the fix.

Here we go again, things were working fine, i downgraded to a slower isp and just upgraded to 500mbps. With 384.7_2 firmware on my RT-AC68P i was peaking at around 300mbps, not good enough for me, so i made sure nat acceleration was on, qos was off, iptraffic was off, i restored defaults and now i'm peaking at 30mbps for some reason? Omg, who cursed me?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!