What's new

Entware after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New router is in and everything is working properly. I was stoked to find the opkg command working properly after a reboot.

Transmission is working properly. I'd like to be able to add torrents remotely so I'm looking to provide access to transmission via WAN. Squid afterwards.

I only have the MicroSD installed. Still unsure of how much it contributed to my success. I'm somewhat afraid of plugging in another drive for fear of recreating the problem.

New router is in and everything is working properly. I was stoked to find the opkg command working properly after a reboot.

Transmission is working properly. I'd like to be able to add torrents remotely so I'm looking to provide access to transmission via WAN. Squid afterwards.

I only have the MicroSD installed. Still unsure of how much it contributed to my success. I'm somewhat afraid of plugging in another drive for fear of recreating the problem.

My guess is your USB disk has leftovers from a previous installation (either Optware, Entware, or Download Master - which is Optware in reality). Just erasing any existing asusware folder, or .asusware file (beware that leading dot - it will be hidden by default under Linux) would probably solve your issue as well, as was mentioned in post #8 in this thread.

I did remove the asusware and .asusware folders as mentioned in post #8. I even removed the drives and reformatted them in GParted. Still no luck.

Not sure what the problem was but I'm sure happy that I'm not having it any longer. I've finally been able to configure the router to my liking using a few scripts and entware...

I'm having a similar problem. My jffs scripts are always wiped after a reboot. opkg commands don't work anymore either. Everything is fine after the initial installation. I installed to a microsd card inside and it mounts to sdc1 everytime. Not sure what is going on. I've tried multiple firmware versions as well.

I'm having a similar problem. My jffs scripts are always wiped after a reboot. opkg commands don't work anymore either. Everything is fine after the initial installation. I installed to a microsd card inside and it mounts to sdc1 everytime. Not sure what is going on. I've tried multiple firmware versions as well.

I took a look at the JFFS code, and there are three cases where the JFFS content can be wiped:

1) if nvram var jffs2_format is set to 1 (which happens if you set that option on the Administration -> System page (Format JFFS at next reboot)
2) if nvram var jffs2_clean_fs is set to 1 (that code is only used by Asus in a yet-to-be-enabled feature for another of their router that will store logs in the JFFS partition).
3) If the JFFS2 partition fails to mount at boot time - it then gets erased, then a second attempt at mounting is being made

I suspect the third case might be what is happening. Try reformatting the partition manually (by setting the Format option to "Yes" on the System page, then rebooting your router - and give it a few minutes to complete its boot).

Once it's done booting, try putting a file in the jffs partition, then reboot again. Does the partition get wiped again? If it does, please send me your system log after the reboot so I can check to see if there is any additional info getting logged about this.

I took a look at the JFFS code, and there are three cases where the JFFS content can be wiped:

1) if nvram var jffs2_format is set to 1 (which happens if you set that option on the Administration -> System page (Format JFFS at next reboot)
2) if nvram var jffs2_clean_fs is set to 1 (that code is only used by Asus in a yet-to-be-enabled feature for another of their router that will store logs in the JFFS partition).
3) If the JFFS2 partition fails to mount at boot time - it then gets erased, then a second attempt at mounting is being made

I suspect the third case might be what is happening. Try reformatting the partition manually (by setting the Format option to "Yes" on the System page, then rebooting your router - and give it a few minutes to complete its boot).

Once it's done booting, try putting a file in the jffs partition, then reboot again. Does the partition get wiped again? If it does, please send me your system log after the reboot so I can check to see if there is any additional info getting logged about this.

I flashed the new beta version of your firmware before I was able to see your post. Apparently now my JFFS persists but i have to manually start transmission. Is there a way to make sure it starts on boot?

You shouldn't have to manually start Transmission. The "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start" line in the default /jffs/scripts/service-start script should automatically start all of your entware packages at boot.

How are you verifying that Transmission isn't already started?

You shouldn't have to manually start Transmission. The "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start" line in the default /jffs/scripts/service-start script should automatically start all of your entware packages at boot.

How are you verifying that Transmission isn't already started?

When you go to start the service it will reply back with
"admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start
Starting transmission-daemon... already running. "
if the service is already running. If not then it will say 'done' instead of 'already running'.

You can also use /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission check

So far the new script seems to be working on reboot. It does take a few seconds for it to actually start running though. As long as it works I'm not going to complain.

Last edited:
I too had the same issue (with an existing entware installation and after upgrading to the latest merlin firmware (378.51), I noticed there was a option I didn't notice before under Administration -> System "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" that appeared to default to "disabled", or had at least disabled itself? I enabled, rebooted and all was right with the world once more.

I've been having similar problems installed Entware with this build. I've wiped my router and wiped my USB drive
When I run entware-setup.sh, I get the following error:

* opkg_conf_deinit: Couldn't unlink /opt/var/lock/opkg.lock: No space left on device

Does anyone else get this, and is it a problem?

I also get the same error when running opkg install nano

Make sure your disk is using ext2/ext3/ext4.

Make sure your disk is using ext2/ext3/ext4.
Thanks for the response. Yes, it is formatted as EXT3.
I tried installing just using a basic 1Gb thumb drive and everything worked fine, so the issue looks to be related to my 1Tb hard drive (Western Digitial Element SE) - which is supposed to be compatible from what Ive Googled)
I have it partitioned into 3: 1x NTFS, 1x FAT32 and 1xEXT3.
EXT3 has been completely wiped.
Can you think of anything in my setup that could be causing this error?

What happens if you format the drive with the EXT3 partition as the first partition? (if you can)

What happens if you format the drive with the EXT3 partition as the first partition? (if you can)
I use Easeus partition manager, and I couldn't just 'move' the EXT3 partition to the 'beginning' of the drive, so I deleted it, dragged the other partitions to the end, then recreated the EXT3 partition.
It'll take a while for this process to complete and I'll try again.
I'm skeptical it'll have any impact, but am willing to try.
Many thanks for the suggestion.

I have it partitioned into 3: 1x NTFS, 1x FAT32 and 1xEXT3.
The partitions may mount in any order. There may be problems if Entware service (Transmission for example) tries to use another partition before it is mounted.

The partitions may mount in any order. There may be problems if Entware service (Transmission for example) tries to use another partition before it is mounted.
Does this concern not go away because the EXT3 partition has a label name, and so mounting order shouldn't matter?

Mounting order does matter. You can try to increase sleep seconds in the script jffs/scripts/services-start - the services should not start before all partitions are mounted.

I have similar problems with entware (and rutorrent) after reboot of my router and will try the tips in this thread.

I have a question about the SD-card, can I install Entware and r(u)torrent on an SD-card but use my USB-HDD as the storagespace for the torrents, and if so, will it be enough to reinstall the stuff (entware+rutorrent) on the SD-card, feed all torrentfiles into rutorrent and then it will check the torrents on the HDD and pick up where it was before the reinstallation?

As for now, the only way I know how to get it to work is to format the HDD everytime and reinstall entware+rutorrent and download all the content again, since I don't know how to get rutorrent to run again after a reinstall of entware and the tutorial for rutorrent I use (https://www.asuswrt.eu/rutorrent-on-asuswrt-router-through-entware/) assumes that there is no previous installation. My hope is therefore to just need to erase the SD-card, reinstall entware+rutorrent and then be up and running without to download all the content again.

I am not so good with the commands = I don't understand what I do so I cannot figure out what to do and I really appreciate that you guys makes/links to good tutorials and things like that for us dummies=)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!