What's new

[Experimental] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 test - AiMesh/DNSSEC through OpenSSL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone having issues running Wi-Fi Radar, it all opens, but no stats/data is being displayed with a AiMesh setup, running in either Chrome or Firefox,even after dumping browser cache. Currently running alpha 2.

Had the same issue but it was advised to start data collection on the Config tab of the WiFi radar and then it works fine indeed! Only do still have some stability issues when this app is running btw (router GUI becoming in responsive/rejecting connections to port 80).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi

I am very grateful for Merlin to introduce AiMesh support, so that I can finally get back to Merlin Firmware. I have been running FW: 384.13_alpha2-g350d39b19 on my RT-AC5300 as my AiMesh Router for a few days and every thing seem to be running fine. I have some initial problems with my OpenVPN Server, however, after I have reset OpenVPN settings by pressing the “Default” button and re-configure OpenVPN Server afresh, then it works as it should be.

I noticed that the GUI for RSA Encryption option appears after I pressed the “Default” button as shown:

Screenshot 2019-07-20 at 9.05.59 PM.png

It however disappeared after re-configuration as shown (It is not in the Advanced setting page too):

Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 3.31.12 PM.png

Not sure if related but below happened now 2x since I switched to Merlin A2 release on the main router. Somewhere between yesterday 3-4AM the logging of network traffic stopped. I didn't change any logging related settings and certainly not between 3-4AM?

Again a minor issue but according my experience the Merlin A2 is very fast and network routing is stable. However some of the auxiliary services are in my case less stable compared to stock and compared to when I used Merlin without AiMesh abt one year ago. I'm still going for the speed and stability in network traffic off course but just sharing my experience with this Alpha release.

2019-07-21 12_56_05-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - EZQoS Bandwidth Management.png

Here is the scenario that played out last night in some of my testing. So i have 3 wifi routers to cover the house. Main one was a WRT3200 running DD-WRT in the living room, then i had 2 RT-AC68's one in the bed room and one out in the garage. When this new merlin alpha came out i put it on the 2 AC68's and meshed them. No issue worked perfectly so i decided to replace the Linkys box and picked up a RT-AC3100 last tuesday. I got it all configured Tuesday night except for AiMesh. Then last night went to reset the to AC68's and make the 3100 the AiMesh Router.

I start the process. On the first fails about halfway thought. After it failed i immediately noticed the 3100 no longer was broadcasting on the 2.4 band only the 5 band. I checked the setting and every thing was good and even rebooted. Still no 2.4 band. I then preformed a factory reset. Still no 2.4 so i refreshed the merlin firmware and then the stock firmware still no 2.4

after about 2 hours i gave up and put the WRT back in place and left the 68's shut off since they where both factory reset waiting to become nodes. Now this morning i was like well maybe it over heated the living room was 85 degrees fahrenheit. I mean that not hot but with the load and everything that box was hot to the touch. Not as hot as the 68 that was in the garage. So i start up again this morning load both firmwares stock and merlin still nothing factory reset nothing. Finial i put it in recover and went to the ASUS firmware recovery screen and hit the restore nvram option there and rebooted and now the 2.4 band is working. I am puzzled on this one and wondering if maybe this radio is bad. I am not gona try to put it back in the network till i monitor 2.4 for a while on it and test some more.

Ok followup 2.4 band again not broad casting currently it says the temps are only
2.4 - 45c
5 - 51c
cpu - 66c

but no PC can see the 2.4 band but when i right a site survey on the box it is seeing the neihboors 2.4 band networks.

I am noticing this every now and then, what causes this?
Code:
 kernel: 00:26:C7:47:4D:16 already exist in UDB, can't add it
 kernel: 00:26:C7:47:4D:16 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
 kernel: 00:26:C7:47:4D:16 not mesh client, can't update it's ip

Hi

I am very grateful for Merlin to introduce AiMesh support, so that I can finally get back to Merlin Firmware. I have been running FW: 384.13_alpha2-g350d39b19 on my RT-AC5300 as my AiMesh Router for a few days and every thing seem to be running fine. I have some initial problems with my OpenVPN Server, however, after I have reset OpenVPN settings by pressing the “Default” button and re-configure OpenVPN Server afresh, then it works as it should be.

I noticed that the GUI for RSA Encryption option appears after I pressed the “Default” button as shown:

View attachment 18699

It however disappeared after re-configuration as shown (It is not in the Advanced setting page too):

View attachment 18700
this is normal default behavior, once you configure the VPN server the options go away, when it is "unset" or not configured the options come back, also if the VPN server is turned off as well the options will reappear.

I think you may be right that it isn’t supported. Cloudflare team member replied on their forum that ED448 isn’t supported here:

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/ed25519-dnssec-support/14723

That reply was in early 2018.
I've tested Cloudflare with different browser and get different results. With Chrome on Windows 10 the last column is all green except for the gost row which is yellow. The same is for Brave browser on Android. Chrome on Android the last column is all yellow. Edge on Android the last column is all red except for the gost row which is yellow again. So if some browser/os combinations show also green for ed448 with Cloudflare I think it is supported.

I've tested Cloudflare with different browser and get different results. With Chrome on Windows 10 the last column is all green except for the gost row which is yellow. The same is for Brave browser on Android. Chrome on Android the last column is all yellow. Edge on Android last last column is all red except the gost row which is yellow again. So if some browser/os combination show also green for ed448 with Cloudflare I think it is supported.

Are you clearing the cache and cookies properly and etc when doing your tests? Because here i always get the same result with every browser!

I've tested Cloudflare with different browser and get different results. With Chrome on Windows 10 the last column is all green except for the gost row which is yellow. The same is for Brave browser on Android. Chrome on Android the last column is all yellow. Edge on Android last last column is all red except the gost row which is yellow again. So if some browser/os combinations show also green for ed448 with Cloudflare I think it is supported.
Interesting. Using Safari showed ed448 green on first test and as soon as I cleared the cache it failed. Haven’t tried other browsers.

Are you clearing the cache and cookies properly and etc when doing your tests? Because here i always get the same result with every browser!
Restarted the router, Android device, laptop, in Windows 10 flushed dns and cleared DNS cache inside of chrome. Same results.

Edit:
To flush DNS in chrome and brave I've used chrome://net-internals/#dns, also I've DNS caching enabled on the router, but that should be cleared on router reboot. As WAN DNS I use Google DNS, for DOT I use Cloudflare, so I can make sure when I see Cloudflare on dnsleaktest.com I go through DOT.

Edit2:
Cleared all side data of rootcanary through chrome developer tools in Windows 10. Same results.

Edit3:
It gets even weirder, the Android device I mentioned above is on Android 7, if I use my phone which is on android 8, Brave and chrome behave the same but now all red in the last column except for the gost row. Booted up another PC with chrome and Brave, did the same cache clearing and now also the last row shows red... Must be some caching going on. Whatever I do my laptop with chrome shows green results in the last column.

Edit4:
Sigh... After all the DNS flushing and clearing site data, ctrl-F5 did the job on my laptop, so clearing all site data does not clear everything in chrome developer tools.... Now the result on my laptop shows red also. So Cloudflare probably does not support ED448.

Last edited:
Is anyone having issues running Wi-Fi Radar, it all opens, but no stats/data is being displayed with a AiMesh setup, running in either Chrome or Firefox,even after dumping browser cache. Currently running alpha 2.

You have to enable data collection on the Settings tab.

That's because this setting is only relevant when first generating the key/certificates, first time you enable it.

but no PC can see the 2.4 band but when i right a site survey on the box it is seeing the neihboors 2.4 band networks.

Put on channel 1, 20 MHz channel width and test. If it's still not visible, then it's probably defective.

Thanks you confirmed my thoughts. Do you know if the 3100 have alot of problems with this. I found on best buys web site a few bad reviews all saying 2.4 was dead with in a week on them and to look for 2019 models?

Routers get a bad rap all the time in the review section, probably just people that did a bad flash or are overwhelmed by the settings. Use sites like this for more accurate info.

Restarted the router, Android device, laptop, in Windows 10 flushed dns and cleared DNS cache inside of chrome. Same results.

Edit:
To flush DNS in chrome and brave I've used chrome://net-internals/#dns, also I've DNS caching enabled on the router, but that should be cleared on router reboot. As WAN DNS I use Google DNS, for DOT I use Cloudflare, so I can make sure when I see Cloudflare on dnsleaktest.com I go through DOT.

Edit2:
Cleared all side data of rootcanary through chrome developer tools in Windows 10. Same results.

Edit3:
It gets even weirder, the Android device I mentioned above is on Android 7, if I use my phone which is on android 8, Brave and chrome behave the same but now all red in the last column except for the gost row. Booted up another PC with chrome and Brave, did the same cache clearing and now also the last row shows red... Must be some caching going on. Whatever I do my laptop with chrome shows green results in the last column.

Edit4:
Sigh... After all the DNS flushing and clearing site data, ctrl-F5 did the job on my laptop, so clearing all site data does not clear everything in chrome developer tools.... Now the result on my laptop shows red also. So Cloudflare probably does not support ED448.

I’ve given up on the root canary test.
Using DoT+DNSSEC+Quad9 is working fine for me.
Root canary though is a sea of red. Sometimes it runs & never completes. May be browser/cache issues?
(Same if I change everything to Cloudflare).

If root canary was to be believed in my set up, I would be in a world of pain.

I’ve given up on the root canary test.
Using DoT+DNSSEC+Quad9 is working fine for me.
Root canary though is a sea of red. Sometimes it runs & never completes. May be browser/cache issues?
(Same if I change everything to Cloudflare).

If root canary was to be believed in my set up, I would be in a world of pain.
most likely a browser, some times some browsers close out the loading if the page if it takes too long

You have to enable data collection on the Settings tab.

Thanks working great now.....

That's because this setting is only relevant when first generating the key/certificates, first time you enable it.

Put on channel 1, 20 MHz channel width and test. If it's still not visible, then it's probably defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.